Author Topic: EFI swap kicking my butt.  (Read 2288 times)

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
EFI swap kicking my butt.
« on: Oct 09, 2008, 07:40:13 AM »
I threw a 22RE and all the wires from an '86 4Runner into my '81 and don't have spark or fuel.  I have power and ground to the computer, and when the stuff was removed from the donor truck, it all worked fine.  I followed the 22RE swap FAQ on Priate, but most of the wires I'm dealing with are different colors than what they list over there.  Also, some wires are just not there.  I wired up the fuel pump to a switch on the dash, but does the ECU need to know that the pump is running? 

For anyone that's done this, what are some hurdles you had to overcome to get it running?  Thanks!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: EFI swap kicking my butt.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2008, 09:40:24 AM »
the ecu MUST know when the pump is on,  you should use the 4runner harness as much as posible,  splicing pieces into the 81 harness is going to be REAL BAD NEWS
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

rockn yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »
the ecu controls the fuel pump and turns it on when the motor starts cranking over.  make sure the injector voltage regulator is hooked up, it is a little heat sink looking thing with 3 wire's coming out with 2 yellow plugs.
I have tools to fix tools...break something i dare ya

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
make sure your circuit open relay is clicking on and also the efi relay. my circuit open relay would work sometimes and turns out it was rusted inside.  efi relay just ended up needing a better ground. i had lots of problems with those when i did my swap. lots of tracing wires and stuff but like glen said use the harnass from the donor and dont be splicing or youll really have a headache.
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »
I'm going to swap a 22re in my 79 soon , so if you have any pictures or cool stuff your doing to get it done, post them. i checked out priate too.. but there's a lot of dead space in the write up, when it comes to swapping a 22re to a gen 1.

LOL @ IFS [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!  IT RUNS!!!!!!!

OK, so here's what the problem was...  Black/ red wire from the ECU going to the black/ yellow wire from the ignition needed to be connected.  I honestly forget what it was for, but I missed it when I laid the wiring harness I built under the dash.  I had it labeled and everything; I just forgot to connect it.  And the distributor was 180 degrees off.  I hooked the wire up and reset the distributor and BAM, fired right up.  I'm sooooo happy right now!  This swap has been about a year in the making- late October last year, I pulled the donor stuff from the '86 4Runner and began rebuilding the engine, and then I deployed from December to June, came back and finished building the engine and here we are now with a running but still undriveable truck.  I need to build the exhaust and put coolant in it and it should be good to go.  And then it's the AllPro lift and e-lockers at both ends with 5.29's! 

F yeah!   :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: