Author Topic: Need Help!!! Starter Problems!!!  (Read 1759 times)

JoeShmo65

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Apr '07
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
Need Help!!! Starter Problems!!!
« on: Aug 08, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »
Im perty sure this has somthin to do with the start but everytime i go to start my truck i turn the key over and it just clicks and all my power in my dash and everythin in my truck is out and itll stay out till some kind of braker cools down and lets power threw agian but i push started the truck and it turned over and started running i moved it and turned it off and all the power was out agian what could be makin this braker shut off all my power???
"what was that daddy?"..."Don't worry honey, just a jeep i used for traction, now go back to sleep."
ROFL

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help!!! Starter Problems!!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
check and clean your battery cables even if the look good and tight. also test your battery.. i just had one come into the shop that was reading 13 volts. tested at 12, in 2 seconds dropped to 7 volts. 

Fearless-Yota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2008, 08:30:46 PM »
You got a bad connection on the battery terminal

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »
Actually could be a bunch of reasons, dead short in the battery, crappy terminal connections, bad ground, on the engine or firewall, etc, etc. A cable could look as clean as a whistle but inside the wires are corroded.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
Actually could be a bunch of reasons, dead short in the battery, crappy terminal connections, bad ground, on the engine or firewall, etc, etc. A cable could look as clean as a whistle but inside the wires are corroded.

:werd:

also, there is no breaker that is cooling off and then letting it work......

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
contact points inside the starter,  easy fix
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Ozy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
It could be any of a number of things. Most have been covered by the posts above. The switch in the steering column gets worn out and works when it's cold but not when it's hot (dont know why) Can get a new switch in column or get a painless wiring hotshot starter relay

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
Battery or connection to

skypilot

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
I have the same problem on my '88.  There is a high resistance contact somewhere in the starting circuit.  The clicking you hear is the cold start fuel injector which is a good sound to have.
I fixed mine by wiring a momentary contact startwer switch under the radio.  I brought a hotwire from the battery with a fuse to the switch, and from the switch to the starter.  But I put in a parallel wire from the regular ignition switch.  So it is a "Y" at the end.  I put a female end onto the starter with an extra wire and male end to flip back to the regular key switch. 

Now if it fails to start with the ket I reach over and push the button to roll the starter manually.  Just a remote starter box.  has the advantage of activating the cold fuel injector for me with out extra work.   

before this I put in a new battery, cables, starter, and alternator.  Wasted a bunch of bucks changing stuff that was just fine.  Still do not know where the real problem is but I know where it is not.  LOL