Author Topic: solid axle strip down  (Read 2761 times)

93 toyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
solid axle strip down
« on: Jul 12, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
hey guys. i have recently aquiared my first solid axle. it is out of a 79 and been sitting in a farm for many many years. BUT it is free and a good shell to build on . i have began to cut and clean it off but i have caught a snag in the disassembly of the axle itself. i have the locking hubs off of one side but i cannot get the hubs off. i have a few pictures of what i have taken off of the axle so far but i need help as to where to go strip down next and how to do so. if anyone could help me out it would be appriciated . and yes, i have searched these forums many a times but i have yet to get a good full bodied write up on this.

here are the pics so far.

here is the locking hub and what not

and this is about as far as i have gotten. i got the lower steering arm off but i cannot get the top one off.

so what do i do next? anyone?

-drew

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: solid axle strip down
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
the top has the same nuts and lockwashers but below those are large cone washers  like on the lockout,  use a BIG HAMMER,  and beat on the steering arm  front and back  and it will release those cone washers so you can knock it off
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2008, 09:46:38 PM »
Did you also remove the snap ring on the end of the axle stub shaft in the lock out hub housing?  I couldn't tell by the picture if it was removed.  :inthedark:

93 toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »
so im switching gears for a little bit seeing the truck is out of commision for a bit... im bobbing the bed . i have measured twice and i htink im ready to cut tomorrow . hopfully we will be 10 inches shorter by next sunday ! here are the pics of the process so far.

my question is how do i go about getting a level line across the bed floor? any tricks you guys have found out ? pictures?

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
use string... or wire

something you can pull tight... if you have chalk line that would work good also. if you use that, i would go over it with sharpie or something that wont blow away front the grinder or torch

as for the axle:

youll need a 14, 12 and a ten. the 12 is for the 6 nuts on the hub housing with the cone washers. after you remove the 6 nuts, take a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallet or something soft that wont hurt the metal and smack the hub a few times till it breaks free. pull it off and remove everything else... dont forget to remove the 2 54mm nuts washer and bearing on the spindle. then use the 14 to remove the dust shield and the other parts and your good to go. i dont think i missed anything. if i did you will figure it out fairly easily when you pull the rest apart

93 toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2008, 05:30:59 AM »
thank you i will probably grab the one at work and that going today or tomorrow.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2008, 05:58:50 AM »
get a good set of brass punches..you will need them!!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

93 toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2008, 06:57:26 AM »
what do i need the punches for? i figured i could just cut the peice out and tack weld it on then from there fully weld it back on then just bondo the pregnant dog. what are the punches for?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »
what do i need the punches for? i figured i could just cut the peice out and tack weld it on then from there fully weld it back on then just bondo the pregnant dog. what are the punches for?
for your solid axle...so you dont mushroom the hub and steering arms studs
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

93 toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
alright so it now pretty much friday and i haven't been updating. NOT to say i haven't been working but cardomain was not allowing me to upload my pics to my page. but now its all figured out and i have some updates. worked into the night the past two nights after work on the bed and im now planning to do all the welding and grinding tomorrow after work. the whole thing will hopefully be bobbed and done by sunday if everything goes well. let me know what you think so far. for my first bobb i think its coming out good and not too bad at all...

93 toyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »
have the outer sides all welded up pretty much. ready to be grinded and sanded for paint and bondo. but i still have to weld the whole inner bed (sides and floor) so i got my work cut out for myself for tomorrow so we will see how far we get after work.

here are some pics of what it is as of now.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
looking good!  :thumbs: :yupyup:

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:28:15 PM »
Hey i would check the gears in that axle i had one outta a 79 or 80 and it had 4.37s or something.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.