Author Topic: wheel spacer, need help  (Read 4674 times)

mountain28

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    • View Profile
wheel spacer, need help
« on: Jul 12, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
I am doing a sas to my 89 toyo with a 80 solid axle. I have everything done, but I went to bolt on my 1.5" wheel spacer and the studs where to small. I tryed 3 part stores and found nothing that helped.  So my question is, where can I get longer wheel studs? I need about half to 3/4" longer.   :dunno:  :hammerhead:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: wheel spacer, need help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
you mean you couldnt bolt your wheel to the original studs?

maybe a pic of what your studs look like ( i mean lengthwise) would help. :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

mountain28 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
sorry, when I tryer to bolt to spacer to the hub.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2008, 02:46:59 PM »
:thumbs:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »
go to a decent parts store...... none of this autozone crap..... carquest or napa usually has higher quality workers that can open a book
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »
Where did you get the spacers?   

3 solutions I'm aware of. 

Return the spacer and get one that's tapered correctly.

Get different lug nuts.  (I believe they are called long reach lug nuts)

Buy longer wheel studs.

Good catch, most people just run'em, then wonder why there tire fell off @ freeways speeds.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008, 08:33:51 AM by All_Set »

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

mountain28 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
yea im just having trouble finding longer wheel studs. i found some from ARP, but they only fit tuner cars.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
Do a google search under Dorman. It will list all of the sizes they make. Do not get sticker shock when you see the cost of a quality wheel stud.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

mountain28 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
ok, so to the biggest tires shop in town, and they said that the wheel space will fall off no matter what kind of stud is on. So does anyone have wheel spacers on dd? I really dont want my wheels to fall off going down the highway. :driving:  i was thinking of just welding the spacer on to the hub, but thats just my shade tree machanic side. :flamer:

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »
ok, so to the biggest tires shop in town, and they said that the wheel space will fall off no matter what kind of stud is on. So does anyone have wheel spacers on dd? I really dont want my wheels to fall off going down the highway. :driving:  i was thinking of just welding the spacer on to the hub, but thats just my shade tree machanic side. :flamer:
i dd my runner to work and to all the trails i go to and have not had any problems. i just check the torque when i rotate my tires it will be fine :thumbs:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »
I use red locktite on my spacer lugs.  Torque to spec.  Never an issue.  10 years or so.  (same spacers too)  I have the 1.5" spacers.   

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2008, 05:02:06 PM »
ok, so to the biggest tires shop in town, and they said that the wheel space will fall off no matter what kind of stud is on.

Scare tactic:  telling your customers a lie in order to make them spend more money with you.

Go back and slap those douchebags, and slap yourself if you believed them!  I've had 1 1/4" spacers on my 2wd toy so I could fit mustang wheels, I beat it down bumpy roads every couple weeks to get to various trinity alps trailheads and I've never, NEVER, had a lug nut or spacer nut back off!  And mine are ebay specails too.  A properly torqued wheel spacer will be just fine, but if you're running monster spacers and the wrong offset wheels you COULD have issues, but your biggest problem should be bump steer  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

mountain28 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »
so oops, i when to Dorman and i got lost in all the stuff they have, but which stud should i get. i saw somewere that rears are a little longer, but i dont know for shore.     thank for all the help everyones giving.

mountain28 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2008, 05:42:57 PM »
is it just my studs and spacer or is this a common problem?  i just want it fixed. 

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »
OK, Is the problem that the stud does not come all the through the nut? If so does it only come through about half way? If this is your problem don't worry about it, just use lock tight and put the nuts on with an impact gun. Mine are the same way and that is what I did and I dd mine. I have rechecked them several times with  a torque wrench at 85 ft lbs and they have never loosened.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
OK, Is the problem that the stud does not come all the through the nut? If so does it only come through about half way? If this is your problem don't worry about it, just use lock tight and put the nuts on with an impact gun. Mine are the same way and that is what I did and I dd mine. I have rechecked them several times with  a torque wrench at 85 ft lbs and they have never loosened.
Sorry but that is very bad advice. It is not that they will come loose it is that you want the nut to have full thread engagement with the stud. By only using half of the thread engagement you have cut the side shear at least in half. Rolling straight down the road it does not matter that much, it is when you go into turns that a side load on the nuts takes over. If you were on a sponsored event and I was doing your inspection, you would not make the run.

so oops, i when to Dorman and i got lost in all the stuff they have, but which stud should i get. i saw somewere that rears are a little longer, but i dont know for shore.     thank for all the help everyones giving.

I used to have the measurements for the stock lug studs on the rearend of my truck. I looked for it today and I cannot find it, sorry. The measurements you need are the overall length of the stud, diamenter of the threaded portion, length of the knurled part, and the diamenter of the knurled section.

They will come loose some times just like aluminum wheels will, that is why you are supposed to check them. I had one on the DS front come loose but did not come off. I caught it in time. Now when I put them on I use a liberal amount of red locktite and torque them to 85-90 ft lbs. They have not come loose since I did that 7-8 years ago.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity