Author Topic: What's this world coming to? *Warning Rant Inside*  (Read 3217 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
What's this world coming to? *Warning Rant Inside*
« on: Jul 01, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
What's this world coming to?!  I can not believe the worth ethic of so many people. It seriously kills me, I'm still fairly young at 25 but I know what it mean's to work a hard day's work. I realize that sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do the job RIGHT. There are so many people in this world that get by ... by just passing the buck on the next person. I'm finding more and more people now days that don't give a shiet about doing the work correctly. They're just in and out as quick as possible. What is even more amazing is the effort some people put into TRYING TO DO NOTHING! when if they would have just did it right in the first place it would be done. I think this world is going to hell in a hand basket for many reason's and this just add's to the shiet pile of garbage. Yea this isn't the first time.. yea I realize this will not be the last. I'm used to being the person who pick's up the slack.

I am devoted to my job, I enjoy it and I enjoy the satisfaction it brings me when a customer says they really appriciate the hard work I have done to get them proper service. I love going above and beyond even if they don't realize it just to ensure myself that everything is proper. This is the reason why I do what I do. I REALLY hope people's outlook on work does not get worse over the years... I feel everyone needs to learn the real value of a dollar. People need to start taking responcibility for their own actions and making a change for the better.

I had more to say but I started typing so fast my mind went blank and I lost it.

:rant:

ahh... that felt good.

Im done...

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I understand your pain, from both sides. It's not just the workmanship but the consumer too, when I get a car there is a lot to do plus there are variables from vehicle to vehicle on how long the servicing is going to take. Sure on an average I can crank out a service in 20 mins. but then there are some that take a little longer depending on accessibility. I understand your problem but the consumer and the rush to get things done fast has created this. I love it when a customer drops off his/her car and asks if they can leave it and come back, makes me go huh! Of course you can, I guess this Jiffylube mentality of the 15 min oil change has ruined what people think about getting their vehicle serviced means. I don't think you can leave you vehicle and come back for it, there's no way to lure you into buying services you don't need. The longer you give me the better the service you shall receive, push me and rush me and you may not get it all checked the way it should be.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
That is understandable, however I typical don't have a huge rush to get it done. Yes I am on technically a "time limit" but if you apply yourself and work hard you can get much more done then someone that doesn't take it serious. Or doesn't physically or mentally give it their all. I train all the new hires and I try to drill this into their heads right off the gate. Not only verbally but I show them physically what it takes to be a good technician. They see with me what it all intel's, the good and the bad.. and yea.. i've turned out a few good tech's but the overwhelming majority still slack's off. This takes slacking off to an entirely different level.

It really boil's down to people just not giving a shiet about anything. Their just there to collect a pay check and go home... they could careless if a person has to call in 20 trouble call's within a week..

What really get's under my skin is the fact that they're to stupid to realize that these are the people that are paying their pay check! IF they are not happy with the service they can and WILL go somewere else so the more people you sluff off the less customer's we will ultimately have.

:maddest:

Rocksurfer, when you speak of someone rushing you. Are you talking about the customer or a boss of some sort?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i agree shamb.... i feel the same way @ my work..... i am used to being the one who picks up others slack..... and it sucks sometimes.... no good deed goes unpunished..... we have peopel that go to the bathroom and sleep on the toilet, because they know there are no cameras in the bathroom..... if you just did your job, you wouldnt have to hide from management.....

a lot of people dislike my manager because they feel he rides them.... he has been nothing but good to me.... my manager wont take crap, from anyone.... i may not always agree with his decisions, but i know hes got a job he has to do and i respect him... several of the others dont see it that way, its those people that try and hide from him....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
several of the others dont see it that way, its those people that try and hide from him....

yea.. we have these type of people at work as well. Every Tuesday is our weekly meetings and their the first one's to get up and start complaining about every little thing imaginable. You would seriously laugh if I told you some of the thing's these grown men complain about..

My Supervisor respects me and know's that I do a good job which also has it's perks. It's too bad other people can't understand that...

Also funny that you mention hiding and sleeping, our management know's exactly were everyone hides... catch's them on a daily bases... yet there's no repercusion for them doing the wrong thing. This just makes the situation worse.. because these guys know they can get away with it so they can get away with murder.. and it seem's as if management could care less.

This can obviously be argued both ways but management shouldn't have to punish you for not doing your job like a 15 year old skipping school   :shake:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
You can't slack in my line of work!  Customers drive in in their new cars, get on a 20-30+ year old boat and expect it to be the same!  When they break down, and they do, they expect you to get in and out fast and have them on their way or they're pissed.  Management expects this too, and it often makes me wonder if these same people expect to take their cars to a shop and have it diagnosed and fixed in 20 minutes or less.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great feeling when you can get a stranded customer on their way quickly, even better when they voice their appreciation (better when they send something positive about you to our corporate offices ).  I've definately worked with my fair share of coasters, dudes who're content to let everybody else wipe their asses, and as more time goes by I end up being the ass wiper.

So yes, I know your frustration well!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Rocksurfer, when you speak of someone rushing you. Are you talking about the customer or a boss of some sort?

No I am the boss, I'm referring to the customer. Everyone has to have it done yesterday.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
I get those on occasion but more than not.. they just want it done right because they've already have 5 guys come in and out within 5 minutes and not fix it correctly.

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
bokmark

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
 Quote: People need to start taking responcibility for their own actions and making a change for the better. :Quote

It all starts at the top, :pokinit: usually travels down hill. Somewere along the lines a burnt out higher up, lets things slide, then those below him are easily disgusted with their jobs, and eventually conform to the way things are.

There is no way to change someone else or to cause someone to make good decisions. They have to take it upon themselves! Those who do'nt care are generally the ones who have been crapped on a few times themselves. On the other end are the ones who were raised with out the values, that are branded into some by their parrents/teachers like I was.

If your boss isnt willing to fix the problem, then mabye your better off turning the other cheek???  Heck even if these people are fired for not doing their jobs, those of us working hard for our checks are still taking up the slack with our tax dollars. We live in a simpathetic sosciety. Our tax dollars go to pay for food stamps, housing, and much much more for those who arent willing to do the work they can. Thing thing imo were meant to give a hand up to those trying to pick them selves up from hard times, not make the "hard times" a free ride.

I belive in a hand up not a hand out.  :yesnod:

Shamb for president!
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I'm with you Shamb!! :thumbs:

There are too many people in all walks of life that get complacent, careless, and just show up for the check.  They don't understand that they're lack of care and commitment can lead from anywhere to a minor inconvenience to the customer, to death for the customer.  We've got guys who take vacation days to avoid going to training.  :shake:  Yeah, I really want a partner who doesn't know what the hell he's doing when the :pokinit: hits the fan, because the training to do his job was an inconvenience. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I couldn't agree more with all that has been said.

We even have S*!t bags like that in the army. I have a few under me. They half ass everything, as long as they get there $ there happy. It sickens me. Frequently nothing gets done to punish them. Now that is what gets me down.

Now I myself will do a half ass job of cleaning the windows of our trucks (and did so today) Why you ask, because the windows and windshields I cleaned belong to trucks which we don't use, so with in a few days they will be covered with sand again. However when it comes to actual work, I do the job right.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
:therethere:

I think i have a really strong work ethic too and I can't stand for slackers/bums either....

In the service industry you HAVE to be hard working....if you dont it shows immediately...

Try motivating people to clean toilets all day with a smile on their face......you'll see what work ethic is all about real quick!

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
I feel you man. I work offshore on a three man platform. My lead operator is one year from retirement and does not give a damn about anything any more. He spends half of his day upstairs taking naps and does not even have a phone or radio up there so we have to answer the phone for him. When he comes downstairs he turns the speaker off on the company set because "they talk to much" so we have to carry an extra portable radio with us on the deck to listen for any inboud helicopters or boats.

The B operator can hardly do any of the paperwork, or reset the separators when they have an upset because all he knows how to do is clean because everywhere he has ever been he has just worked as a roustabout with a larger crew of A- operators doing the real day to day operations.

That leaves me, the C-Operator, the lowest payed guy on the platform by over 4 bucks, doing what an A-Operator would normally be doing. I fill out and file probably 70% of the paperwork, all of the adjustments/monitoring of the equipment, and MMS safety checks.

What really ticks me off, is when this guy retires they will probably move the B operator into his spot and I will have to do everything I am already doing, plus what little the lead is doing and still wont be promoted to the level that my work duties entail.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
I've often said it, and will say it again. If people put half the energy into doing their jobs that they put into getting out of doing them, they would probably be a pretty damn good employee. it's disgusting. I do the job right because it's my reputation on the line, and I have to answer for every decision that I make. I also put in way more effort because its "the right thing to do". It irritates me to no end that there are not consequences for doing a half-assed job. My opinion is that if you can't do the job right, then don't do it and go find another line of work.

Years ago in the Navy, I remember the ship yard workers who basically held the attitude of "why do it right the first time, when I can screw it up and get paid to go do it again (and again and again)". Subseqeuntly, it took two years to get out of dry dock, when it probably could have been done in 8 months to a year (as well as cost about 1/2 as much).

I feel your anger, you are not alone.

Keep doin it right!
Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
You can't slack in my line of work!  Customers drive in in their new cars, get on a 20-30+ year old boat and expect it to be the same!  When they break down, and they do, they expect you to get in and out fast and have them on their way or they're pissed.  Management expects this too, and it often makes me wonder if these same people expect to take their cars to a shop and have it diagnosed and fixed in 20 minutes or less.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great feeling when you can get a stranded customer on their way quickly, even better when they voice their appreciation (better when they send something positive about you to our corporate offices ).  I've definately worked with my fair share of coasters, dudes who're content to let everybody else wipe their asses, and as more time goes by I end up being the ass wiper.

So yes, I know your frustration well!

ho come on, it just a boat. stick some bubble gum in the hole and tune up the orws and see if it floats.  :hammer:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
you bring an interesting point that I didn't mention Germ

I do the job right because it's my reputation on the line, and I have to answer for every decision that I make.

When other's have to back peddle to explain why they did what they did. I have confidence everyday that I walk through the door to work that if the Supervisor or VP call's me into their office its to either reward me for doing a good job. Or ask for my advice on how to make thing's better because they see the type of work that I do.... now this unfortunantly doesn't get me a higher hourly wage but it is all ammunition I can use when I do my leveling up through the company to negotiate more money because I am worth it.

There are million's of people who rely on the service I give to keep their business afloat... if it doesn't work correctly then they could be out alot of money.

It's just part of this whole boiling pot of "I'm only gonna look out for myself and f**k everyone else"

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
shamb what do you do?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
cant exactly cut corners with the job i'm in training for but i gotta agree with the rant.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
I can't agree more with all that's been said so far.  :beerchug:

But remember this, don't get yourself in a bunch over people you can't control. It's not healthy for you personally and it isn't letting you move forward for yourself. The truely important thing to remember is to feel good about what you've accomplished that day and that you can sleep well at night knowing you did your best. Forget about what somebody else didn't do or didn't get done.

It is disheartening when you see people not pulling their weight in your work group but there are ways of giving them things to do that they especially don't like just so they have a real reason to dislike their job. (kinda like.... "why you crying? I'll give you something to cry about if you don't just STFU") :gap: Maybe that will encourage them to leave or pick up the pace if the message is clear enough.  :yupyup:

As far as pushy consumers...well I only have one question for them, "Do you want it right now or do you want it right?"

I've always worked hard and taken pride in my work and have come to be rather successful at it, if I may say so.  :sly: It does bother me though that so many people just have a really poor work ethic these days and they act as if they are owed the right to have nice things without having to work for them.  :tantrum: I have more respect for people who try and fail and more importantly....learn from their mistakes then succeed  :thumbs:. I have no respect for people who don't even try or don't even care.  :thumbdown: I don't even want to share breathing space with these kinds of people.  :nope:

Enough said....NEXT!  :usa:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
The truely important thing to remember is to feel good about what you've accomplished that day and that you can sleep well at night knowing you did your best.

When I get up in the morning, I have to look in the mirror and respect who I see. Doing the right thing to the best of my ability is one of the ways that I maintain that respect for myself and my profession. Then there is that whole Golden Rule thing; do unto others as you have done to you.

I make a point of showing appreciation when I recieve good service, it reinforces good work ethics, and I try to do it loud enough that others around can hear it, and hopefully will be encouraged to try a bit harder. When possible I also try to tell the manager/boss how much I appreciated the great service provided.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
What I've learned over the years is to not trust those that work for you to do the job right, always and I mean always have checks and balances, my guys know that at any moment I could walk out and check the job they've just done so it better be right. It's those bosses that never check or don't even know the job that have quality issues. It really pisses them off but if you don't do it they may and will slack off. When I was running the restaurant I would just order something without telling them it was for me so that I could check their work, now I just walk out of the office on a recently completed job and check everything that was supposedly done. Plus I never let them move the car I do that myself. I will also wait until a car has been washed and go out and help dry it again checking the work and making sure they are not cutting corners and doing a crappy job. I agree with the point that if management is not involved with the work, and I mean "hands on" the work will suffer. You as a manager got where you are by doing the job right (or being a total suck up) but once you get there you have to steer people in the right way.

Shamb [OP]

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
shamb what do you do?

Im a communications technician.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
I can't agree more with all that's been said so far.  :beerchug:

But remember this, don't get yourself in a bunch over people you can't control. It's not healthy for you personally and it isn't letting you move forward for yourself. The truely important thing to remember is to feel good about what you've accomplished that day and that you can sleep well at night knowing you did your best. Forget about what somebody else didn't do or didn't get done.

Enough said....NEXT!  :usa:

Thats some good advice right there! I need to try to keep that in mind when I get bent out about things that are out of my controll.  :thumbs:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole