Author Topic: Mountain Lion Kill  (Read 2437 times)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Mountain Lion Kill
« on: Jun 07, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »
Early this morning (4 AM), and too close to home at just a couple hundred feet down the street.  We've had sightings before but this is the first kill that I am aware of.  A cat killed a yearling blacktail in the pasture and ate the innards and part of the hindquarters.  I don't think anyone tried to track the cat.  This happened in town and within 100 feet of our local hospital.  Now we'll see if it was an isolated incident or if there will be repeat attacks.   :crossed:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Mountain Lion Kill
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
and where is home?
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
Weaverville, CA -- about an hour west of Redding, near the far north end of the state.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2008, 08:14:32 PM by Stocker »

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »
 weird for s big cat to be hangin' around town , keep an eye on the kids and don't go jogging or biking!
Weaverville is a nice little town, been there many times.  :thumbs:
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »
Good grief!  Where was this - Morris's place, I'm guessing?  That's, uh...well...it's kinda scary!

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »
Good grief!  Where was this - Morris's place, I'm guessing?  That's, uh...well...it's kinda scary!
Affirmative on both...   :yesnod:

weird for s big cat to be hangin' around town , keep an eye on the kids and don't go jogging or biking!
Weaverville is a nice little town, been there many times.  :thumbs:
I walked the dog past the kill (within 40 feet) less than 3 hours afterwards and didn't even realize it.

And thanks...  it's been home for over 32 years.   :thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2008, 08:29:46 PM »
Crap  :yikes:  Maybe you might oughta take your trusty sidekick with you on the walks  :eyebrow:  :thumbs: 

Now we'll see if there will be repeat attacks. 

That's a given!  From what I've read, as soon as a cat tastes blood it'll be back.  It may be another deer, though I'm sure some neighbors are/will be missing fluffykins, but guarentee it'll be something.  There is only one way to stop them, and though it'll go over quite easily in that town, it's not something a lot of people want to consider. 

If it's reported fish and game SHOULD track it, period.  I'd be super surprised if it doesn't come back today or tomorrow looking to eat some more of it's kill, and if it doesn't find it there it'll just look for another easy prey.

I was actually just reading an article about cats and coyotes today, and they say coyotes are now growing to be more of an issue than cats, though you can hunt coyotes.  I'll have to dig it up, but it explained what I've thought to be true for a while, being that THEY are moving into neighborhoods looking for the easy meals.  Without people hunting them they lose their fear of humans, and it explains that it's not a natural fear but one instilled in them by being sought. 

Eventually the greenies will lose and they'll be able to hunt cats again, but it'll be a while I'm sure.  I also have a proposal:  if you don't know the first thing about what you're voting on, you shouldn't be allowed to vote!  Otherwise you're just voting off emotions and opinions, and with no experience or basis to form those you can only be making a rash and uninformed decision!  IE, if you live in a city and have no idea about hunting's benefits or drawbacks (be they very few), you damn well shouldn't be allowed to vote on any initiative or law pertaining to it!!!  :maddest:  Oh wait, that's logical thought...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2008, 08:32:02 PM »
weird for s big cat to be hangin' around town

You'd think, but they live nearly on the edge of the woods.  Well, it USED to be the edge of the woods till more and more and more houses were built further up into the valley  :shake:  We used to be able to ride our dirt bikes out the driveway, down a trail and into the woods.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
i heard a presentation long those lines about the coyotes and cats nate. while i was in yosemite National Park. the coyotes started to attack dogs, and cats, and basic domesticated animals.

i was talking to the janitor at my High School and he said almost every morning when he gets there he sees Mountain Lion(s) running off, or signs that they were there over night. kinda scary to think all the potheads that go into the woods to smoke at lunch, (my shcool sits in the side of a mountain with nothing but miles of forest above it.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS