Author Topic: Discuss :)  (Read 7589 times)

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Discuss :)
« on: Jul 19, 2004, 12:20:23 PM »
4340 ChroMo 30 splines everywhere.  :bowdown:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

WHITE_TRASH [OP]

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss :)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2004, 05:02:57 PM »
Dang noone recognizes the first huge leap of toyota axle tech when they see it?

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2004, 05:18:07 PM »
Who's making these?  I am still the only one of the group that still runs stock birfs in both the pickup and 4runner and the pickup is welded!  I am sure my time will come, but I really enjoy going against the odds.  A bullet proof cromo setup like that would be cool.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

WHITE_TRASH [OP]

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2004, 05:31:19 PM »
There are really only two people that would have the ability to get these to market, Pig from www.polyperformance.com and Bobby Long.  These are Bobbys axles.  Pig has some 300M :frickenwow: birfs and inners coming out later this year.  Those should be killer but at nearly (estimated) triple the cost of these, guess where my money will go.  These should be about $600 to your door.

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2004, 05:41:43 PM »
I remember seeing some aftermarks birfs (Newfields, Smurfields??) don't remember which-they were actually built oversized.  You had to grind on your housing to get them to fit.  They also looked pretty impressive but haven't really heard much about them or seen any writeups.  I don't know what material they were made from either??  Bobby Long is at the top of my list, I try to support people in the same state as me.  Met him at NWRCA in Vantage in that cool red buggy thing of his.  Hey Marlin...why don't you guys move to Washington and WT and I will both come work for you!!

WHITE_TRASH [OP]

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2004, 05:44:12 PM »
I met Bobby at Goldendale this last year pretty cool guy.  You know, as much as I absolutely despise california Id move there if I could work at Marlins shop.  But having one in WA would be killer! 

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2004, 06:34:25 PM »
I havent met anyone   :dunno:    If you had 300m birfs and inners, then wouldn't your R&P be the next week link?  People with 4.88's or higher should watch out.

Gtown

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Get it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2004, 08:00:48 PM »
If I were to buy these, in my opintion a waste of money, I would have my gear sets treated by bobby. But then your hubs go, so all part of the process.
jeeps are like poopie richard, every fa@*ot has one

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2004, 08:04:53 PM »
You know what would really kick some ass...hub fuses.  Have them fail before the axle or r&p.  Warn makes them, but not for Toyotas.  Easy 10 minute trail fix and your back up and running.

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2004, 09:37:46 PM »
There will always be a weak link.  Even if you have chromoly everything something is still weaker than everything else.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2004, 12:19:35 AM »
Hub fuses  :headscratch: never heard of those will have to look into that. And Just for the record I am still running my stock birfields and have broken a rear axle and yet to break a birfield  :dunno:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2004, 06:23:09 AM »
i have popped 4 birfs, 3 inner axles and 1 longfield.
i am really looking forward to the testing on these.
i hope they turn out to be a good product.
it may be a future purchase for me unless i just go 60 up front.

derek

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2004, 07:29:35 AM »
WOW  :drool:, I wonder how these compare to the birf eliminator, yeaa the next weaakest link for me would be my r&p(not w/ a hub fuse), but youd be able to turn your steering stops all the way in, my truck will be trailerd next year so i may step down to 4.88 or 5.29's. This quote comes from SKY's website :

Need a little extra axle beef? This is the kit. Running 37" + tires on a Toyota axle is pushing the limits of the stock parts. The Birfield eliminator gives you some room to work with. Tested on various competition buggies, run in the real world, used by us.

The axles are constructed of 4340 high nickel alloy, with a 760x u joint. You may upgrade to CTM's or Aussie Joints. Kit includes all new axles, spindles, seals, u-joints, and instructions.

Currently I run either 37 inch MTR's or 39.5 TSL's. Recently while on a snow run I backed up a dirt bank with my 5000 pound 4 Runner, running my 37's. This wall was about vertical. I turned my wheels to the right full lock, my stops are actually turned in as you can turn tighter with a u-joint, and tried to move forward. Apparently the ditch was deeper than it looked, and covered in 2 ft of snow. I was digging down, not moving foward. So like most people, I took the motor up to 4500rpm's and dropped the clutch in reverse, full steering lock. Last time I did this with a set of HD Birfields and Chromo inner shafts, I spit the inner cage out of the Birfield. This time I still had no movement, but nothing broke. 3 more tries and I was moving again, much too the amazement of the other Toyota owners in the club, with no broken parts.

And jus look at them:
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2004, 12:51:37 PM »
Is there suppose to be a pic with that post ?
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2004, 03:52:10 AM »
I remember seeing some aftermarks birfs (Newfields, Smurfields??) don't remember which-they were actually built oversized.  You had to grind on your housing to get them to fit.  They also looked pretty impressive but haven't really heard much about them or seen any writeups.  I don't know what material they were made from either??  Bobby Long is at the top of my list, I try to support people in the same state as me.  Met him at NWRCA in Vantage in that cool red buggy thing of his.  Hey Marlin...why don't you guys move to Washington and WT and I will both come work for you!!

The smurfields are stock birfs treated by a guy in canada..Cheap and he has a trade deal going for guys to get free smurfields...I have herd nothing but good things about his stuff..Comparable to bobby's stock treated and ringed birf...seems like a hasstle to get though because of customs..I am going to try a place here in oregon in newberg called nw cryo..They said 20-25 bucks to cryo treat a birf and axle..

I'd like to have a set of bobby's 30 spline axle and birfs,,and a set of pigs to try out..Will be interesting to see some test results..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2004, 03:05:23 PM »
Is there suppose to be a pic with that post ?

Yeaa, I cant get it to work. Theres a pic on marlins main site, under axles. Theres only two people that I know of running the birf eliminator, sounds like w/ good result, Im really considering this as an option, so if you guys or anybody you know is running these let me know. Maybe Marlin or BigMike has some info for me (will buy from you if you have positive feedback)
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »
oohh well :smack: :smack:
stupid pic. :talkingn:

derek
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2004, 06:25:30 AM by derek »

WHITE_TRASH [OP]

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2004, 05:30:31 PM »
Prism is runnning a old redline birf elim. kit in his runner.

81Toy4x

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2004, 08:08:55 PM »
So if you run a birf eliminator kit pretty much all you can break is u-joints?  Or is it common to break those axle shafts too?  The ony thing I'm worried about with birf eliminator kits is someone making them then coming up with something new or go out of business or something, then I am kinda sol if something goes wrong.  I'll probably never upgrade my stock birfs.  I don't wheel very hard so I probly won't break em, and if I do another stock birfield will go in.  :twocents:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2004, 12:03:47 AM »
no,those kits break stubs and axles as well as the joint.

81Toy4x

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2004, 10:29:59 AM »
Oh okay.  So I would rather just keep something stock in it that I can readily find at junk yards and fix.

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2004, 10:46:43 AM »

But the main question here is - Are these kits stronger, weaker or pretty comparable to the longs that WT's first post shows ??? Thats what I wanna know.

Prism, Chime in, how are they ??? Any complaints ?? Are the worth the 7 Bills that they sell for??

HyDesertMutant

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:37:50 AM »
I guess I'll start thinking about these things when I break a birf. Hasnt happened yet, but then I run a TruTrac in the front and try not to throttle up a full steering lock....Yeah I guess Im a wuss, but I'm poor and I gotta watch my repair bills. ;)

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
Its ok bro, I am running the tru trac in front too, no birf problems and I just hit a little brake pedal to get the front to lock up.  I get up the trails so it all good in da hood.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 05, 2004, 01:42:48 PM »
I don't see the 30 spline as a huge leap, what is one is the fact that the axle shaft don't neck down, have no groove for the external c-clip and the fact that it is in 4340.  The 300m ones should be awsome, but then r&p and lockers are more expensive then birf, so I wonder if it's really good to make a birf bomb proof. I don't know for you but I have no experience in installing gears so heach time I would change I would have to paid to have them in, maybe I would learn with some practice. :dunno:

Maybe I'll do my own, I can have axle shaft made out of anything I want :yupyup: for the cost of the material :yupyup: :banana:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2004, 03:04:16 AM »

But the main question here is - Are these kits stronger, weaker or pretty comparable to the longs that WT's first post shows ??? Thats what I wanna know.

Prism, Chime in, how are they ??? Any complaints ?? Are the worth the 7 Bills that they sell for??

Thats hard to say..I would bet there stronger..But it also depends how there abused as well..Only real world testing will figure it out..

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2004, 03:08:15 AM »
I don't see the 30 spline as a huge leap, what is one is the fact that the axle shaft don't neck down, have no groove for the external c-clip and the fact that it is in 4340.  The 300m ones should be awsome, but then r&p and lockers are more expensive then birf, so I wonder if it's really good to make a birf bomb proof. I don't know for you but I have no experience in installing gears so heach time I would change I would have to paid to have them in, maybe I would learn with some practice. :dunno:

Maybe I'll do my own, I can have axle shaft made out of anything I want :yupyup: for the cost of the material :yupyup: :banana:

A good quality ring and pinion are pretty strong (almost indestructable)when you get to sizes of 4.56 and up..I would still worry about busting an axle or birf before the ring and pinion..Again its a mattter of how you beat your junk..some wheel there rigs,,,some beat the shiat out of them..

Island4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -27
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • High Vibes Off Road
« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:39:12 AM »
 The reason for the 30 spline design is to elimanate the neck down in on the birf end of the inner shaft, wich is the week point... What makes the birf itself stronger is the  design of the birf itself..The bell is longer, the inner race and cage is a completely different and stronger design,  the balls are smaller to give the bell and inner race added thickness, all are made of 4340.....

Now everybody is thinking ok cool but now wheres the week link gonna be, the hubs, the r/p,????? There are tricks out there to improve the hubs, bigger studs, hendrix motorsprots 4 pin hub mods...Bobby offers his heat/cyro treatment for the r/p....

For those that feel that they dont need the 30spline, dont want to risk breaking there r/p or hub's bobby has said that he will be offering the new design birf's in stock 27 spline to, for $225each.....Eather way id say  great days for toy axle owners are comeing :beerchug: :beerchug:

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2004, 04:42:42 AM by Island4Runner »
Life is one big road with lots of signs
So when you riding thru the ruts
Don't complicate your mind
Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts
Put your vision to reality, Yeah!
Robert Nashta Marley ; Wake up & live

Island4Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -27
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • High Vibes Off Road
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2004, 02:39:43 PM »
this is quote from the man himself in a reply over on the Pirate board ;)
O.k. the cats out of the bag! The prototype inner race is 4340 but the final product inner race is made of 300M and will be longer. Yes, the inner cage and race is a patented design. The price will not change it is still at $635.00 a set, all 4 pieces. We feel this will be the strongest birfield on the PLANET! I want to design something for you guys that we can beat on with our eyes closed.
Life is one big road with lots of signs
So when you riding thru the ruts
Don't complicate your mind
Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts
Put your vision to reality, Yeah!
Robert Nashta Marley ; Wake up & live

WHITE_TRASH [OP]

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2004, 04:04:51 PM »
Way to go Bobby!  Hell of a nice guy, who really cares about the sport.