Author Topic: Welding Galvanized Metal...  (Read 3563 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Welding Galvanized Metal...
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:09:38 PM »
I have heard different things about welding on galvanized metal...

so:

What are the dangers (fumes, toxic, etc...)?

What is the strength compared to normal tubing?

Does it hold paint if rattlecanned?

Like i said, i dont know very much about it, i am just wondering because i have heard that you can and cannot weld it. Did a Google search and came up with mixed results.

Thanks for the help :thumbs:

:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Galvanized Metal...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »
i am a former professional welder-there are myths and sayings but heres the facts from the oregon structural enineers union-in my words

yes there are fumes-weld in  a well vented, or fan blown area

you can weld structurally if you remove the galvinized coating at least 1/4 inch from the weld surface

if this is done on both surfaces-strength loss is minimal if present at all

and in my opinion, if you have to do it, so be it-but non galvanized is easier

yes it will hold paint if prepped normally-although it will always look like ass IMHO

i used to weld galvy plate to galvy pipe for pile driving type situations, then houses sat on em-so yes it is plent strong- but if you try to weld without removing the coating- it will leave voids, pockets of gas and air, and not pennetrate well, resulting in a poor quality weld

hope that helps

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
i am a former professional welder-there are myths and sayings but heres the facts from the oregon structural enineers union-in my words

yes there are fumes-weld in  a well vented, or fan blown area

you can weld structurally if you remove the galvinized coating at least 1/4 inch from the weld surface

if this is done on both surfaces-strength loss is minimal if present at all

and in my opinion, if you have to do it, so be it-but non galvanized is easier

yes it will hold paint if prepped normally-although it will always look like ass IMHO

i used to weld galvy plate to galvy pipe for pile driving type situations, then houses sat on em-so yes it is plent strong- but if you try to weld without removing the coating- it will leave voids, pockets of gas and air, and not pennetrate well, resulting in a poor quality weld

hope that helps

:werd: 

And x2 on the ventilation.  If you don't ventilate well, you can get very nauseous, and get some pretty bad headaches.  I'm sure there is long term effects as well, but I don't know exactly what they are. 

My sliders are made outta galvy, work just fine, plenty strong and durable.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
the long term effects are...you end up looking like CrawlerDan  :yikes:

but seriously, i puked black foam a few times

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
x3 on the tips.

Breathing zinc fumes is very bad for your future.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »
zinc fumes can make your future very short, ill have to dig up an article on it, but  a blacksmith i knew died from them

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »
Never welded it, but I've cut way, way, way too much galvanized metal with a torch and can vouch that the fumes are very bad for you.  If you inhale any at all make sure you chug a bunch of milk asap to absorb the toxins.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »
The more you grind away from the weld area the better. I once got violently ill from the fumes. Barfed very painfully and felt like I was going to die. My body felt like Sh!zt.
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »
the long term effects are...you end up looking like CrawlerDan  :yikes:

but seriously, i puked black foam a few times

:yikes:  no more welding galvy for me :gap:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
activated charcoal is much better than milk :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

toyotaman27

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »
Galvanized metals leave a tar in your lungs which make it hard to breath. This shortness of breath leads to upset stomach and kidney pains. But it is just a coating on the metal that can be ground down and ur just left with raw iron. The metal is as strong as ur weld. :beerchug:

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »
A contractor who worked for us several years ago had a terrible sounding voice -- hoarse, raspy, a bit muted and sometimes hard to understand.  He said it got that way from welding galvanized culverts.  Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate...

PS    He's dead now, but I don't know if there was any connection...
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
activated charcoal is much better than milk :)

Not for this case.  Activated charcoal coats the stomach, preventing absorbtion, but it also generall induces vomiting.  I don't think this is a situation where vomiting is a good thing to induce.  Seeing as the majority of the toxins wind up in the mouth, nose, sinuses, and airway, causing vomiting will just aggrivate the esophagus, and the mouth.  Personally I don't think the milk would really help either, it would certainly coat the mouth and upper throat though, so it may help to a point.  I know some people swear by it, and others think its bull, I don't have any personal experience to that extent either way.  

-Ronald Reagan

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
I weld it at work all the time.  grind the :pokinit: off and i always where a resperator.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »
i avoid it like the plague. it takes way to long to prep verses raw steel and it will make you sick, ive gotten sick from in and for me the milk did make me feel alot better

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:17:25 PM »
cool thanks guys. i was just wondering, i started to read blingn's build thread and had thought you could not weld it, so i posted this up. i also thought it was more than just a coating on the metal...

wouldn't zinc make the metal rust faster? i read somewhere on here about putting a zinc block on the underside of the truck to attract some type of chemical so the rust eats it away before anything else. said it was a technique used on boats.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:58 PM »
Zinc coatings prevent corrosion of the protected metal by forming a physical barrier, and by acting as a sacrificial anode if this barrier is damaged. When exposed to the atmosphere, zinc reacts with oxygen to form zinc oxide, which further reacts with water molecules in the air to form zinc hydroxide. Finally zinc hydroxide reacts with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to yield a thin, impermeable, tenacious and quite insoluble dull grey layer of zinc carbonate which adheres extremely well to the underlying zinc, so protecting it from further corrosion, in a way similar to the protection afforded to aluminium and stainless steels by their oxide layers.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »
wouldn't zinc make the metal rust faster? i read somewhere on here about putting a zinc block on the underside of the truck to attract some type of chemical so the rust eats it away before anything else. said it was a technique used on boats.

:yesnod:  sacrificial anode  :thumbs:  It's a softer material that's supposed to degrade instead of your pontoons, hull, transom, drive, outboard or any other metal parts that may be in contact with the water.  It'd be nearly pointless to use on a truck unless you're constantly driving through creeks though  :gap:

Here's a link to better describe it  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificial_anode
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »
i read it when reading a thread where you had posted about it. thanks for the tech terms kneedown and jim. :thumbs:

so its only really effective if the vehicle is constantly in water?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
Copy and paste:

WELDING ON GALVANIZED METALS
One of the most significant health hazards in the welding process is the generation of fumes and gasses. Do you weld on galvanized metals? Zinc is the coating used on galvanized metals, and when you heat the metal, it produces vaporized metal droplets which are called fumes. This is the smoky haze which consists of fine particles of metals or silicates. When you breathe these fumes, they may work deeply into your lungs.

The typical effect of breathing zinc fumes is metal fume fever. One or two hours or more after welding-without proper personal protection-you may experience severe thirst, pain in the legs, shivering, congestion in the head, dryness and tickling of the throat, and a cough. In very bad cases, you may feel severe shivering, a high fever, buzzing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, and even hallucinations and convulsions. Your symptoms will usually last 24 hours.

Some of you may weld for a period of time and find some of the symptoms appeared, then went away. You may actually have built up an immunity that hides the full effects. If you take a break from welding over the weekend or over a holiday, the symptoms will often come back again the next time you weld on galvanized metal. Because of this behavior, metal fume fever is sometimes known as "Monday morning sickness."

Protect yourself, if you weld on galvanized metals, by following these precautions:

In all operations where metal fumes are present, you should work in a well ventilated area. The best way to protect yourself against metal fumes is to use local exhaust ventilation at the source of the smoke. Do not re-circulate the air in the shop.
If good local ventilation is not possible you should wear an approved respirator, which will fit underneath your welding helmet, to protect yourself from fumes. This respirator collects the fume particles and keeps them from entering your lungs. (A paper dust mask is not adequate).
If you find white dust inside your welding shield, you are not properly protecting yourself from the fumes.
After you have finished welding, wash your hands and face thoroughly with soap and water.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke in areas contaminated by welding fumes.
If you think you are experiencing symptoms of metal fume fever, report it to your supervisor. Physicians familiar with this illness say that the best treatment is to drink plenty of water and go to bed and rest.
Finally, did you know that you can "contaminate" your family by bringing home zinc particles on your clothing? Protect both yourself and your family-weld safely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »
i didnt even think to check wikipedia. i googled and got yes's and no's as to whether or not it can be done. thanks mini

toby

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »
I believe muriatic acid, the stuff you use for swimming pools will remove the galvanized coating. Soak the area you are going to weld until it dissolves. Handy when doing nuts and or bolts if your doing big stuff it will probably be more difficult.
I'm not as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2008, 10:20:14 AM »

I would probably do a little more than that (maybe 1/2 inch or more) ....just to be safe
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
I would probably do a little more than that (maybe 1/2 inch or more) ....just to be safe

Forgot to mention earlier too, when you're grinding that :pokinit: off, wear a respirator!!  That dust itself is pretty gnarly   :reg:

-Ronald Reagan

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »
jut tellin you what the inspector says