Author Topic: rolled my truck need opinions  (Read 3519 times)

donutman126

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
rolled my truck need opinions
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
Went camping at Slick Rock this weekend, ended up being a very wet and cold weekend. I came off a ledge at to much of an angle, and over it went :smack:. The cab is pretty smashed and the only glass that broke was the windshield. Considering its my daily driver I need to get the truck back on the road as soon as possible. My plan is to try and get a windshield to fit just so its driveable for now. There will definatly be no more wheelin until I have a cage so i need your guys opinion. One of my ideas is to cut the top of the cab off and build one out of tube with some sort of sheet metal roof and a plexi glass windsheild sort of like this...

This plan is going to suck in the winter considering it wont be weather proof and it will make my truck look less street legal than it already does. But both i think I could deal with.

My other plan is to cut the top of the cab off and build a super tight interior cage and weld another cab on from the A pillar up. I am hoping by being able to build a cage with the top off that I can make it close enough so that next time i roll the cage wont let the body deform. The problem with this is that there is still a possibility of losing a windshield which is okay with me as long as a new one goes in without to much trouble.

Well here is some pics of the damage, and some extras of my trip.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: rolled my truck need opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:03 PM »
i say do a body swap to a cab that isnt crushed.... grafting on a new cab may never fit completely right....

also, plexi-glass is not a street legal windshield. the glass must be DOT approved safety glass
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
I would save the money and beat the cab to fit a windshield and repeat...
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
i've thought about welding a better top on for awhile. think i'd do the cage and top route on my truck. i've talked to a few people who have done it and was told i should measure both tops very carefully before cutting. also make templates for the windsheild. otherwise it well leak.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »
Technically you could do ANY windshield, so maybe a flip-down type that covers the front of the cage?(maybe off of an old Land Cruiser?)

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
I just flipped my truck also. I am cutting the roof at the A-pillar and leaving in the windshield and associated  framing. "Tuna Canning" the roof back to the B-pillars below the rain gutters while still leaving in the "structure" of the B-pillars. Cutting the roof in this configuration will make fitting of the windshield easier and will aid in the reinforcement of both the A+B pillars due to the sheet metal in the roof framing being thicker and therefore easier to weld. Fabbing exo cage out of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" x 3/16" square tubing, and making roof out of a Tarpaulin (oiled canvas). Flipping really sucks, but I guess it could almost be a "right of passage". I will try to post roof picks up if you would like. :turtle3:
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

donutman126 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »
I would definatly be interested in seeing pics

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »
do a cab swap. than a cage. it's not to bad. or do as Yoat Goat suggested.  :driving:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »
I did the same thing and just took out the seat and used the old high lift. Windsheild fits great. pass window is a little sticky but not bad for a half days work with a jack and a hammer. All that metal has memory it will go back into place, just wont be structurally sound anymore. The white spots are where it was crushed in probably about 8 inches.
You'll never take me alive

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2008, 12:16:49 AM »
that yellow truck looks like it was in a lot better shape to begin with than the white truck pictured....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2008, 12:24:40 AM »
True. But a quick fix. the roof was teepeed pretty bad. Remeber to take it out of 4 wheel drive when reaching for 3rd while doing doughnuts.
You'll never take me alive