Author Topic: Advice for going full hydro...  (Read 1321 times)

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
Advice for going full hydro...
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
I've come to the point on my truck that the toy axles and steering aren't working for me anymore.  All too often I'm in a situation that I probably could have walked through or avoided a rollover if I was able to steer.  And the toy diffs are blowing up as well.  I've gone to a corp 14 in the rear and a dana 60 in the front of my 89 pickup.  I need advice on the hydro setup.  Will it function properly with the trail gear high volume pump and then do I just tap my box for the hoses?  I've also heard about orbital valves and such.  Basically I need the full run down on how the system works and what is required to run a full hydro 60 under a toy.  Thanks guys.  I'll post pics soon of the 14 bolt and 1/4 ellip as soon as blue torch fab gets me some parts.
Go 1-Ton from the start

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for going full hydro...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »
search for the thread OOPS did on his full hydro assist.
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for going full hydro...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »
Full Hydro and Ram assist are to different setups

Ram assist-street legal-uses a ram to assist the steering box. You have to drill and tap the stock steering box in the proper spots to get fluid to the ram to assist the steering. Works great when setup with the proper components. Many people use a modified stock pump, which works great. I did when I first put ram-assist on my rig. Later I put on a PSC high output, high pressure and it worked outstanding.

Full-Hydro-not street legal- You get rid of the steering box, there is no mechanical link between the Steering Control Valve (not an orbital valve). The SCV moving fluid to the ram accomplishes steering. I used a doubled ended ram, which is equal in steering wheel turns both ways. You can use a single ended ram and they work fine. With a single ended ram, it takes a bit more turns on the steering wheel turning one way over the other.

Here is great tech info on Hydraulics:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index.html

Great place to purchase real parts for the system: Plus they can really answer your questions.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index.php

Here is a write up I did on my full hydro setup:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=42642.0
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity