Author Topic: Less is more; really  (Read 2182 times)

hessiankid31

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Apr '04
  • "Chrome won't get you home!" PM Winston Churchil
    • View Profile
Less is more; really
« on: Jul 11, 2004, 03:45:01 PM »
I was having a "conversation" with my wife this afternoon on the topic of sheet metal "restructuring", and similar artistic pursuits. See, we have a used car lot/junkyard/tire pile/OC Choppers, ghetto tuner shop motif going at our hacienda. At any given time there are at least: two civics, a 310whp CRX, an 85 Supra (stepchild), two Subie wagons, an 02 Taco(My DD), a 91 Toy (my baby), A Gale, 52 dodge, 58 Studebaker, numerous motor and pedal bikes etc. etc. My wife is a near-perfect catch. She takes care of me and puts up with my crap when I'm dope-sick on chemo, she buys X-mas gifts like a Sony mp3 car stereo, she allows this amazing sprawl of mechanical crap, gives me time to putter, and lets me spend money on that stuff ya gotta have to survive, like an 83 Toy front axle, 8,000lb winch, 5mge turbo manifold etc, as long as the bills are paid. The only real rule is this: if I even approach her Subie or the Taco(which is BONE stock, except for KN Intake and OEM Bilsteins) with a cutting or grinding instrument, I'm sent to my room , there to contemplate the error of my ways, since there are plenty of other vehicles for me to mangle. Today I was chopping up my Toy's front bumper, all the better to mount a new winch on(which I picked up for a measly 40$+22$new solenoid) my dear. She asked me if I there would be anything left of the Toy when I was done. Now, we all know the problem with that question; its NEVER done. I do understand her point. Before I caught this 4x4 plague, I never dreamed of the kind of radical surgery I'm so used to now. Any automotive cutting was for cosmetic surgery, carefully done and covered up with anal precision. Now, If its not structural and its in my way, its history. I got this truck from my pa three years ago. It was his weekender, absolutely pristine at a mere 68k miles in 2001 when I got it. Only Toyota gen parts were ever used, the only aftermarket item was a WOODEN truck box my dad built for it. The metamorphosis started so innocently. The only flaw on the body was a slightly blistered spot above the stock tail pipe exit. I feathered/blended/primered that little spot and............never stopped. I know I'm rambling, so I guess my point is that this hobby is kinda like being an alcoholic, you never get over it and you gotta talk about it. I know that no hobby I've ever had before brought me the kind of pleasure this does. When some dude pulls up next to you and starts asking questions, it makes all the work and mangled knuckles worth it. It gives me a feeling I could never get from some of the show queen imports I've owned, that other people did most of the work on. Hell, my family has their own mechanic, who comes to their house to fix vehicles. That’s what I grew up with. Now, however, my name is Jeff and I'm a Toyaholic.
Its not "AT" anywhere! 91v6 Toy sawzall special w/ twin turbo thrack-u-lators, 01 Taco4cy cream puff,85 220whp 5mge Supra,multiple FF Honda civics

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Less is more; really
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2004, 10:57:37 PM »
hello my name is jeremy and i am a toyaholic. i kinda know how you feel. just today driving down the road, you know no doors, wires dangling and self built exaust, a guy asked me if haveing to deal with all the stupid looks, and dumb a$$ coments give me people give me is worth my passion and i was happy to be able to look him in the eye and say yes. :_order: :flamer:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2004, 10:15:12 AM »
You are right and it's also worth it for the times you get compliments. I think its partly where you live too. I'm in Montana and I get lots of compliments and I've had several guys offer to buy my rig on the spot. If I still lived in Boston or Seattle, I know I'd get lots of those "what a moron" looks.
Its not "AT" anywhere! 91v6 Toy sawzall special w/ twin turbo thrack-u-lators, 01 Taco4cy cream puff,85 220whp 5mge Supra,multiple FF Honda civics

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »
Hi my name is Justin and I'm a toyotaholic, for some reason no one talks to me about my rig and the don't tend to stare for to long either  :dunno:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2004, 05:18:20 PM »
do you have a dancing pickle on the frount? :reg:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2004, 05:42:26 PM »
Hello, my name is Dave. and I'm a Toytaholic. I frist noticed it when I got my new 86 off the lot. no big deal I can trade it in any time I want!  then it was stolen out of my drive way  :rivers:  :rivers:  :rivers:
 well I just could not get "over it" as my wify insisted I do. that's when I know that this was bigger than me.  now I have an 83 custom-cab that take my trailer and my cab-over and the kids (not all at the same time)  I do alot more work to this one than the new one and I'm just getting more and more hooked. and I don't care! I'll never quait or even look at a jeep. I'll be this way untill I die.  :psss:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2004, 09:20:06 AM »
Hello, My name is Pablo and Im a toyaholic....My itch started past summer when by father gave me my 4runnner...back then it was all stock....not it has started to take shape...slowly but surely...one day Ill get " wako" stares...and thats what Im looking foward to :thumbsup:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2004, 11:01:58 AM »
I'm a real alcoholic and drug addict, clean for four years. I can really see some scary parallels between my old addiction and the Toyaholic one, but at least this one doesn't destroy your life ang brings genuine pleasure. It does suck all your spare cash and time and I do get antsy when I can't go wheelin for more than A week. I've skipped work to wheel, sold stuff to get parts, and stayed awake well into the wee hours planning and dreaming about how to do the next project. It has affected my shcool work too. I basically did a whole semesters work in the last three days, cause I put it off in favor of finishing my snorkel, winch bumper and new sliders and plus I'm always dikkin around here when I should be grading papers or doing homework. :shake_head: I even sent one of the pages of my snorkel writeup in progress to my professor's dropbox by accident. Sad sad sad :shake_head:. This forum is really like a giant AA for wheelers. I'm actually gonna write a psych paper on the parallels, think It'll be good. MAybe we need to come up with the 12 steps of Toyaholics. BTW, I AM NOT knocking recovery: AA and NA saved my butt and I love them, for anybody else out there in recovery. But thats just my opinion, I may be wrong. 8)