Author Topic: Wakeboards, what do you prefer?  (Read 4793 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Wakeboards, what do you prefer?
« on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:03:50 PM »
Only been wakeboarding for a few years, and am looking to buy a board for myself this year.  Last year my brother and I used a CWB, and that worked great for me, but since I'm now 150 miles away from where its kept (on my dad's boat), its time to buy my own, as some buddies have boats up here, and I don't want to use their boards, as I'm most likely going to be too big for them. 

So, the question I put to you, o great wealth of knowledge that is the marlin BB members, what brand boards do you like, and what would you recommend? 

As I said, I've been wakeboarding for a few years, so I'd consider myself intermediate.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Wakeboards, what do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »
You're a pretty big guy compared to me, but I'm loyal to Liquid Force.  I've loved every board I've owned from them.  I tried a CWB, didn't like it too much.  Tried Double-Up boards and Hyperlites, didn't like those either.
Relentless

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:30:46 PM »
You're a pretty big guy compared to me, but I'm loyal to Liquid Force.  I've loved every board I've owned from them.  I tried a CWB, didn't like it too much.  Tried Double-Up boards and Hyperlites, didn't like those either.
No kidding :gap: 

Any reason you didn't like those boards?  quality, design?  :dunno:

My main problem, is that not all the board companies make a board big enough for me. :down:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »
They all were just too slow for me, and the Hyperlite felt like it was way too locked in whenever I'd cut in.  I've been rocking a Liquid Force Team 134 for the last couple years and it's awesome.  Super quick, forgiving, I can break it loose for spins or keep a hard edge toward the wake whenever I want.

What size are you thinking you need? 142ish?
Relentless

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
They all were just too slow for me, and the Hyperlite felt like it was way too locked in whenever I'd cut in.  I've been rocking a Liquid Force Team 134 for the last couple years and it's awesome.  Super quick, forgiving, I can break it loose for spins or keep a hard edge toward the wake whenever I want.

What size are you thinking you need? 142ish?

Kinda what I'm guessing.  I just called my brother, to see what size board board the CWB is.

-Ronald Reagan

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »
What do you guys think would be good for me? I used to have a Hyperlite that I liked a lot but I dont know what size it was. I'm 6'-2" 195lbs, the boards I have used lately seemed too small with too much rocker, it seemed like they need a lot of speed to work.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
What do you guys think would be good for me? I used to have a Hyperlite that I liked a lot but I dont know what size it was. I'm 6'-2" 195lbs, the boards I have used lately seemed too small with too much rocker, it seemed like they need a lot of speed to work.

Just based on your height, from my knowledge, you'll probably want to get around a 140-142.  Thats what I've been told is best ofr over 6 feet, and the one I used last year was a 143

-Ronald Reagan

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2008, 04:40:58 PM »
I'm 5"10 and 180 lbs and I like the longer boards with a nice grippy rocker.  I think my Hyperlight is a 138cm and I like my brother's 142cm a lot better.  It handles better and is easier to control when landing.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
I have an old school (8 or 9 years old) Liquid Force at 144 cm with old bungee foam bindings to carve and wakesurf (even though it is illegal in CA now to WS :gap:).  Two years ago I picked up a 142 cm Ronix that is fun and has a lot of rocker to it.  :yupyup: At 6'2" 220lbs, I look like a whale being pulled around in my old age, but the kids good a good laugh at my expense. :ha_ha:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
I have an old school (8 or 9 years old) Liquid Force at 144 cm with old bungee foam bindings to carve and wakesurf (even though it is illegal in CA now to WS :gap:).  Two years ago I picked up a 142 cm Ronix that is fun and has a lot of rocker to it.  :yupyup: At 6'2" 220lbs, I look like a whale being pulled around in my old age, but the kids good a good laugh at my expense. :ha_ha:

Are you sure its illegal to wakesurf in CA?  Sports Authority has the boards, and last summer there were people all over the lake on wakesurfs.  :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
I pulled my brother just last summer on lake Elsenor while he was wakesurfing and nobody said anything :headscratch:
I've been told by several people that riding anything inflatable behind a boat in California is illegal though - and I never see anyone doing that in Cali.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
I pulled my brother just last summer on lake Elsenor while he was wakesurfing and nobody said anything :headscratch:
I've been told by several people that riding anything inflatable behind a boat in California is illegal though - and I never see anyone doing that in Cali.

Now I know thats not true.  Half the people on the lake where we always go are tubing.  I know some specific tubes have been outlawed (the "flying" ones)  but not everything inflatable.

-Ronald Reagan

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »
I can't imagine the size of ship that would be needed to haul a wake board of sufficient size to support my great abundance.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »
Its not about the size of the ship its all about the blown 502 with either a power prop of monster jet to get you on top...  :gap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
Its not about the size of the ship its all about the blown 502 with either a power prop of monster jet to get you on top...  :gap:

I'm thinking tons of thrust here...an anchor chain and the USS Reagan.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »
I'm thinking tons of thrust here...an anchor chain and the USS Reagan.

:hahaha:  You think it'd take a couple hydro planes to do the job eh?? 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »

:hahaha:  You think it'd take a couple hydro planes to do the job eh?? 

Yeah bubba...if I get any bigger, I get my own zip code.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 3,110
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
Ive been wakeboarding for probably 8 years now.  Ive owend several boards and ridden a bunch of friends boards.  Hyperlite by far is the best board out there.  I ride the byerly 137.  It has tons of pop.  I can board behind a boat with out a tower and easily pull off 6 ft of air over the wake.  Check em out.
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke
93 RunneR ...Build-up  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=85644.0

fortysixandtwo - I drove through Dunsmuir once I dont think anything there is "super nice"
Just kidding man. I guess there is, its your bed

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
I think this is the 06' model.  Those "fish hooks" on the sides make it soooo easy to cut back in to the wake!  The water actually flows over em.
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke

fortysixandtwo - I drove through Dunsmuir once I dont think anything there is "super nice"

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »
back of it.
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 09:24:33 AM »
Are you sure its illegal to wakesurf in CA?  Sports Authority has the boards, and last summer there were people all over the lake on wakesurfs.  :dunno:
It is. A couple of years ago in fact, along with my boat registration came these two decals that also need to be displayed concerning carbon monoxide poisoning. :thumbdown: One on the stern and one visable to the driver. That is how our wonderful legislature passed the wakesurfing ban, the health risk. ???

Here it is from CA Harbors and Navigation Code:

§ 681.  Unlawful to operate motorized vessel while teak surfing, etc.

(a) It is unlawful to operate a motorized vessel or have the engine of a motorized vessel run idle while an individual is teak surfing, platform dragging, or bodysurfing behind the motorized vessel.

(b) It is unlawful to operate a motorized vessel or have the engine of a motorized vessel run idle while an individual is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder of the vessel.

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply when an individual is occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder for a very brief period of time while assisting with the docking or departure of the vessel, while exiting or entering the vessel, or while the vessel is engaged in law enforcement or emergency rescue activity.

(d) "Teak surfing" or "platform dragging" means holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder, or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorized vessel for any amount of time while the motorized vessel is underway at any speed.

(e) "Bodysurfing" means swimming or floating on one's stomach or on one's back on or in the wake directly behind a motorized vessel that is underway.

(f) "Vessel" has the same meaning as set forth in subdivision (e) of Section 775.5.

(g) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of up to one hundred dollars ($100). Nothing in this subdivision shall be considered in relation to a suspension, restriction, or delay of driving privileges, or in the determination of a violation point count as provided in Section 12810 of the Vehicle Code.

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
It is. A couple of years ago in fact, along with my boat registration came these two decals that also need to be displayed concerning carbon monoxide poisoning. :thumbdown: One on the stern and one visable to the driver. That is how our wonderful legislature passed the wakesurfing ban, the health risk. ???

HAHAHAHA I got those same warning stickers with my jet ski reg. and i just stuck em on my laptop!
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:56 AM »

Here it is from CA Harbors and Navigation Code:

§ 681.  Unlawful to operate motorized vessel while teak surfing, etc.

(a) It is unlawful to operate a motorized vessel or have the engine of a motorized vessel run idle while an individual is teak surfing, platform dragging, or bodysurfing behind the motorized vessel.

(b) It is unlawful to operate a motorized vessel or have the engine of a motorized vessel run idle while an individual is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder of the vessel.

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply when an individual is occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, or swim ladder for a very brief period of time while assisting with the docking or departure of the vessel, while exiting or entering the vessel, or while the vessel is engaged in law enforcement or emergency rescue activity.

(d) "Teak surfing" or "platform dragging" means holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder, or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorized vessel for any amount of time while the motorized vessel is underway at any speed.

(e) "Bodysurfing" means swimming or floating on one's stomach or on one's back on or in the wake directly behind a motorized vessel that is underway.

(f) "Vessel" has the same meaning as set forth in subdivision (e) of Section 775.5.

(g) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of up to one hundred dollars ($100). Nothing in this subdivision shall be considered in relation to a suspension, restriction, or delay of driving privileges, or in the determination of a violation point count as provided in Section 12810 of the Vehicle Code.

Ah, thats not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the short surfboards basically, that start out being pulled by the rope, the boat goes pretty slow, and they pull themselves in, until they are riding the crest of the wake, then they toss the rope in the boat.  If they do it right, they wind up constantly riding the wake, like it were a wave, and following the boat.

Kinda like this ( all the real good pics were flickr pics.  I don't know how to put them on here :smack: )
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:10:38 AM by BLACKDOG »

-Ronald Reagan

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
Ah, thats not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the short surfboards basically, that start out being pulled by the rope, the boat goes pretty slow, and they pull themselves in, until they are riding the crest of the wake, then they toss the rope in the boat.  If they do it right, they wind up constantly riding the wake, like it were a wave, and following the boat.

Kinda like this ( all the real good pics were flickr pics.  I don't know how to put them on here :smack: )

That is how we have wake surfed in the past. 8) But the rangers at Shaver and Bass Lakes both said we were in violation (they just gave us a warning). :nonono:  I haven't tried in Big Bear or the Sacramento River. Havasu probably isn't a problem, except for the drunks who will likely run you over. :thumbdown:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
  :headscratch: I guess the other possibility is a lot of these issues (wake surfing, inflatables, air chairs etc) are sometimes simply "regulations" that are lake specific. For example (two public state run lakes), in Big Bear the kids love to go tubing but they have a regulation against pulling two skiers. At Lake (toilet bowl) Perris we could pull two skiers but no tubes. Maybe my run in at Shaver and Bass was a local regulation because I agree the H&N code doesn't prohibit using a rope to wake surf. 8)