Author Topic: Propane fuel cheaper than gas? Possible conversion? Please advise?  (Read 6279 times)

i_luv_my_truck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Male Posts: 157
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
Gas prices keep going up!  Is propane more cost effective?  Pro's and Con's?  Does it replace the carburetor? That would be a pro, carbs are so expensive. 

It is estimated that unlead fuel will be at $4 dollars a gallon shortly.  I think, most of you guy's see propane for its performance capabilities.  But, could propane be a cheaper fuel source?

Sign
Disparate
1977 Toyota Hilux 2wd - because because
1980 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - restoration project
1981 Toyota Trekker - nostalgia
1982 Toyota Hilux 4X4 LB - just because
1984 Toyota Hilux 4X4 - everyday driver
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder - for speed
1993 Toyota Previa - for relaxing
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093325/

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Depends on how much propane costs where you are.  It's still under $3 a gallon here, so it'd still be a little cheaper with the lower efficiency of propane, but who knows what will happen this summer.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
As far as I know propane is not more cost effective than gas because a gallon of gas will get you much farther than a gallon of propane. As gas prices increase, the gap between propane and gas will close assuming the price of propane does not increase.  I would rather run gas as my DD fuel for the convenience factor. For a trail rig propane isn't an issue because you wouldn't be using that much.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Depending on where you live it may not pass SMOG. In California it will not pass the visual inspection.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Does propane run cleaner that gasoline?

SamuelEngelking

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 253
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
I am very pleased with my Propane on my daily driver. i it hooked up last weekend and still need to tweek it but for now i love it. only 2.60 a gallon here vs. 3.60 for gas
84 Toyota Ext, 5.29's Locked Up, 4.7's, 37's KM2, 17" KMC Wheels,
Hydro assist, Propane, Headers, Body Armor, Some Bump In The Trunk..

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I am very pleased with my Propane on my daily driver. i it hooked up last weekend and still need to tweek it but for now i love it. only 2.60 a gallon here vs. 3.60 for gas
really a $1 cheaper,i like that, where are u at? i wonder how much it is in colorado.
i want it as a daily driver too but the issue of every place having it to fill up as i travel or whatever might be a issue, but am sure somewhere every lil town or city has one just dont let it get below half.
did you get that kit from gotpropane.com?
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
that dollar cheaper per gallon isnt really a dollar cheaper..... propane is not as efficient as gasoline and 1 gallon of propane doesnt equal one gallon of gasoline... i think its ends up being somehting like propane per gallon is only as effiecient as 8/9 tenths of a gallon of gasoline
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
oh ok that makes sense then
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
I visited gotpropane.com and they state:
 "There is no loss in power with these kits, only power gains!!"

Is that a true statement?  similar to running premium fuel (high octane) or is it better than premium fuel?  anyone with experience?

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Propane has a very high octane rating, so you can advance your timing without detonation.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MisfitDave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
I converted my 85 22r DD to propane about a year ago and loved it, there were power gains :driving: and it does get rid of the carb. the kit from gotpropane.com was simple to install and cary was very helpful when i talked to him.  I did run it as my daily driver, and propane was and still is on average more than a dollar cheaper here, but that truck has become a designated trailer rig and I am back to running a 22re 4runner as the dd.  from my experience propane is a legitimate alternative to gas in a DD as long as you can keep track of your mileage and tank levels, if that sounds like a pain or too much trouble than stick with gas! I talked to lots of people before I switched and it seems like EVERYONE was an expert when it came to propane, but 50/50 they were for or against it and i had a hard time figuring out who was telling the truth.  Some say it gives more power some say less, and on and on.  Call Cary at gotpropane.com and talk to him, then decide for yourself, it is a 4cyl you can only increase or decrease so much power.  :twocents:

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
propane runs clean. i think they don't want us driving around with it is because of no road tax. funny thing.. home made electric and veggie oil  cars  don't pay road tax. so if you invent anything, no matter how clean it is,or how much fuel your saving, your probably illegal.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008, 05:42:33 AM by rn37dd »

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
It is estimated that unlead fuel will be at $4 dollars a gallon shortly. 

SHORTLY?????  $3.95 is about the cheapest I can get it. 

Signed,

Living your nightmare

:D

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
...when you update to propane, does it change the engine sound?  for example, an engine running diesel has a unique sound.  Does running propane have a unique engine sound?

Propane exhaust smells like forklift exhaust?

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
from what i've seen and heard. there is no difference in sound.
yes the exhaust smells like a fork lift.
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

MisfitDave

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
    • 1st build
the sound in mine was pretty noticeable, had 2 1/2" exhaust and it sounded like a ricer before, now it has a burly sound
propane runs clean. i think they don't want us driving around with it is because of no road tax. funny thing.. home made electric and veggie oil  cars  don't pay road tax. so if you invent anything, no matter how clean it is,or how much fuel your saving, your probably illegal.
I might be wrong, but when I was checking around I talked to some state worker at the DOT, here in Utah, that told me there was like a $150 fee or something for running propane, the guy was a jerk about it too :dunno:

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
regular is $3.95 t0 3.99 here. premium is $4.15 here already. diesel is over $4.50. looks like my next step is detuning the truck for fuel economy. i need to check on the price of propane here.. may be an option if it's cheap enough.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2008, 05:10:13 AM by rn37dd »

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
...when you update to propane, does it change the engine sound?  for example, an engine running diesel has a unique sound.  Does running propane have a unique engine sound?

Propane exhaust smells like forklift exhaust?

Diesels have a unique sound for a few different reasons, but a loud clacky diesel is usually because of where the fuel is injected or something, not because of the fuel type used.  And forklift exhaust smells exactly like whatever engine it uses, ie:  a diesel forklift smells like any other diesel, a gas powered  lift smells like any other gas vehicle, and a propane powered lift.... well, you get the point!
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Oh yea, paid $3.80 today  :shake:  I plopped down $40 and didn't even fill my shortbed toy.  I'm going a ways away tomorrow or tuesday to go fishing, so I'll probably top off the tank so I can see what my mileage is like.
RIP KYOTA

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
well the lowest is $3.99 here now for regular gasoline on the coast. propane is $2.89.. so it's about a buck cheaper here now.

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
3.65 here. for 87....93 is typical 3.95...seen one gas station that was over 4!
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
i paid 3.91 for regular in my wifes car and 4.11 for premium in my toy.  as far as propane goes i personally wouldn't swap for a dd but for a trail rig i think i would but everyone has their own opinion.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
gotpropane is saying the use 4 to 5 gallons propane for 8 hours of trail use with a stock 22r. now how much gas would you use in a gasoline rig doing the same?  i think i use more than that even in 2wd on the road. i wonder how much run time they're talking about? any idea's? gas here is now  regular $4.05 and propane $ 2.98.

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
propane only works well with 11.5+ comp ration or a turbo/super
other way like mentioned you wont get full benefits nor will it be as efficent as gas.. due to slower btu...same goes for e85
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

SamuelEngelking

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 253
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
84 Toyota Ext, 5.29's Locked Up, 4.7's, 37's KM2, 17" KMC Wheels,
Hydro assist, Propane, Headers, Body Armor, Some Bump In The Trunk..

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Q: How hard would it be to use CNG?  There is a filling station near me, and it's LOADS cheaper than any other option - and even less if I get a unit to fill it in my garage.

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
CNG is a high pressure system, There are Aluminum tanks with fiberglass overlays to be DOT in Calif. Look into it....