Author Topic: Lincon lock Vs Tru tru trac  (Read 3288 times)

DAWGTOY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 460
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Jul '04
  • aint too old & broke up to sit down yet
    • View Profile
Lincon lock Vs Tru tru trac
« on: Jul 09, 2004, 08:47:06 AM »
Thinking of using lincon lock until I get gears and lockers. Whats the general opinion?
Also how do I put those smileys on? got it I ask my 16 year old nephew how. :bowdown:
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2004, 09:42:50 AM by DAWGTOY »
1983 TOY SHORT PICKUP .35/12.50S EXO CAGE HOMEMADE BED CAMO PAINT, REARS UP FRONT CHEVYS IN THE REAR, 4 WHEEL DISK, CABLE LOCKER REAR, LOCK RITE FRONT, 5.29GEARS FRONT & REAR.BOBBY LONG 30 SPLINES 9500 lb WARN WINCH. DUAL
T CASES WITH 4.7 IN THE REAR. THANKS MARLIN

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Lincon lock Vs Tru tru trac
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2004, 10:06:40 AM »
Only lincoln lock the rear unless you gots hydro steering up front or love mud drags.  You won't be able to steer in 4wd.  The welded rear will chew up you tires a bit faster on the road but it all depends on how much you can put up with.  I've got a welded rear along with my boggers...I drive the truck daily, my theory is that if I can deal with the tire noise then I can deal with the tire scrub.  Your best bet of course is selectable lockers, best of both worlds, after that it is a matter of opinion and wheeling style between the tru track and auto locker.  If you are a trail rider then you won't have problems with the limited slip...anything tougher go ahead with a full locker in the rear and decide on the locker or LS up front...Just consider that if you live in an area with lots of inclimate weather, the lockers/welded diff will make street driving "interesting."
Does that cover it.
Best advice is to read more about each product, evaluate the % of off road useage and your driving style, and determine what is the best choice for you.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2004, 08:20:33 PM »
I wouldn't weld the front, you will break lots of frontend part.  I tried a spool in the front and broke 1 cromo axle, 1 Bobby Long, 2 stock brflds, 1 hub and a spindle. That was one trip to Johnson Valley, ask Marlin he helped me out all day. I changed that out to a Detroit, not one problem. I have hydro asst and 38" tires.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2004, 09:15:32 PM by locktup »
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2004, 08:35:48 PM »
ive welded mine and my brothers neather have broken and no complaints here it makes driving on gravel snow ice tight corners in the rain fun again

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2004, 08:51:06 PM »
there are two different ways to weld the spider gears.  You can weld the gears together and it would be a spool.  Or you can weld inbetween the gears but only 2 welds per gear.  One on either side of the other.  Then You will have a little wheel spin before it actually locks up.  Wears the tires less and still strong.  we did that to my friends truck using my lincoln SP-100 welder.  It hasn't broke yet and he doesn't crawl to often.  If he doesn't make it the first time its 2nd gear and all gas.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2004, 11:34:36 PM »
Only lincoln lock the rear unless you gots hydro steering up front or love mud drags.  You won't be able to steer in 4wd.
don't you mean, "don't weld the front?"  welding the rear will scrub the tires quite a bit but you'll still be able to steer fine :yupyup:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2004, 02:30:57 PM »
Weld the front and just leave on hub unlocked then if you need all for or the other one pulling get out and use your hubs, kind of okie but cheap and it works
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

HyDesertMutant

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:27:42 AM »
I run a Tru Trac in the front and I have to say it works really well. With one wheel in the air it pulses traction to the one on the ground and all in all I feel it is a good trade off between daily driveabitiy, reliability, and off-road performance. Ive never broken  a birfield, and Its pulled me through some of the toughest trails around southern california.  I want a full locker in the rear, and I think a selectable locker would be best, but totally cost prohibitive. That is to say: Freaking way too expensive! I was going to weld the spider gears and deal with the cons of that, but my understanding is that once you weld the spider gears you cannot remove them from the 3rd and install a locker when you get the money....Is this correct? Now I'm  leaning towards a lock right or Detroit EZ locker (same thing) for the rear because at 280 bucks it sounds pretty appealing.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:35:09 AM »
Once the spiders are welded you cant pull them out yes, but that only prevents you from installing a lunchbox type locker, not a fullcase locker.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:41:17 AM »
the aussie locker is a lunchbox locker right?
Im an OG

HyDesertMutant

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:41:41 AM »
Now I have to ask- Lunchbox I'm assuming is like a lock right and full case is like a Detroit or ARB....?

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:42:36 AM »
yeah, u are correct. i just answered my question as well :smack:
Im an OG

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2004, 04:22:35 AM »
weld up the rear..can't go wrong if you can weld somewhat decent..I have yet to bust a welded rear...and I have put them through the tests...
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!