Author Topic: bald mtn....  (Read 10751 times)

nu106

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: bald mtn....
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 08:51:55 PM »
I took this quote from another website.

Well I happen to know a little about the search and rescue last night...I called it in for a friend of my son and nephew who joined our camp Saturday night and rode with us to the tower on Sunday.

We all, 5 of us, did a run to the tower on Sunday AM. This guy kept running off the trail and not staying with the group. One of his darting trips off trail when we were decending from the tower got him lost. It was snowing pretty good and was beginning to become more of a white out. We told him to stay with the group but he darted off again and got totally lost. We kept trying to locate him but his C/B would transmit but he could not hear us asking where he was located. We kept looking but the weather was getting bad so I felt we needed to get our children back to camp. After dropping off the childrren my son and nephew rolled back out to the tower looking for him all the way. They kept calling on the C/B to get a response from him but to no avail.

The boys returned to camp informing me as to how bad the weather had turned so I decided to contact the Fresno County Sheriffs office. I drove out towards Shaver until I had cell service and called. Two sheriffs deputies met me in Shaver and we began what became a search and rescue operation. Three officers hung out with us at camp until 1:50am when the Sargent in charge decided to dispatch the jeep rescue team from Fresno. The Jeeps arrived around 5:30 AM and was able to hear him on the radio calling for help. They headed up to the tower around 6:30am. The Jeep team finally made two way contact with him and he was able to give them his gps coordinates. Even with the gps coordinates they did not reach him until around 3pm. The Sargent told me they had to return to the tower 3 times to again descend down the back side looking for him until they found him.

Turned out he was on the back side of Bald and had slid off a rock into a tree once and rolled twice into the creek on the back side trying to find his way back to the tower and the trail back out. He had winched himself out of the creek once only to roll into it again. His hood was crushed in, mirrors broke, KC lights broke, more body damage on both sides and a long cold night in his rig with it on it's side and 3 inches of water running through it.

I am very grateful he was not hurt during this very stupid act. I also pray he learns not to go off trail or seperate from the group if he ever rolls with us again.

̿̾ͮͧͣ̍͛̽ͨ͏̬̲̮̦̖͓͇̺̥̪̖͡ͅ ̸̢͚̻̞͔͇̞̲͛̀͒ͪ̇̌̓̋ͅ ͪ̉ͯ̔̄̾ͥͬͮ҉̸͔̥̤͓̙̙̠̺̕ ̴̡̢̳̮͎̙̤̳́̄̋͋ͪ̇͋̓͋͐ͬ̾ͨ̋́̌̌͟͞ ̗̹̲̬̬̭̼̹͔̗̽ͫ͋͐ͮ̎̏ͭ͑ͨ̔̿͒̔ͦ͛́̀́́̚͞͠ ͚̻̱͎̙̗̎̋̄̓ͪ̏ͣ͊ͮͯ̂̎̋͌͆̐̀̀ ̨͙̬̼̙̲̳̟̿ͭ͆̈͋̄̍ͭ͟ ̵̡̛̙̯̺̪̲̙̱̳̜̲̮͚̘̥͙̦͆ͮ͒̑͒ͤͪ͐́͘ͅ ̧̡̨͓̪̬̘̊̎ͧ͌͒̂̏̄̀͢ ̡̡̤͔͓̙̩͕͓̲̥̰̥̹͇̉̑͛̒̀ͭͩ̐̀ ̂͂ͪ̌͆̐ͯͣ͊̾̿̆̎҉̭̭͎͓̤̤͇͕̯̫̭̟͇͢͡͠ ̸̻̩̬̳̘͍̑ͮͭ̏̿͆̒̅͛̈͞ͅ▲̴̷͙̫͚̣̝͔͇̰̜͎̖͓̣͕̫̺̮̉̅ͥͤ͋̅ͦͬ͌͛̇̂͞͠ͅ
̸̢̧̮͇̠̮̖͋ͭ̈͂ͦ͛̚͢͝ ̸̧̫̗̥͉̝͇̌͛ͭͩ͌͊ͮ̃̌ͮ̄̑͂ͤ̕̕͢ ̶̨̩͍̝̮͙̤͉͎̙̠̪͖̩̠͚̜̹̋̀̇̈̓͊͊̐̆̾̎ͧ̐͋̿̈ͥ́̚̚ ̂̒̉ͩͧ̔̈ͯ̉͝҉̢̣͇̜͓͘ ̴̠̞͙̱̯̗͍̠͎̺̘̠̟͙ͭ̑̔̃́ͮ̒ͪͭ͛ͣ̈͆͠͡ ̶̷̭̜͙̙̜̲͉̝̝͋ͬͨͧ ̢ͦ̄̎̏̄̈́̈́̔ͥ̅̕͞͏̝͓̟̣̼͉̬̪̣̼̪͎͝ ͬ̉͂҉̴͓̜͇̥̬͕̼̤̪̻̭̼̟̲̼̭͚͘͟͠ ̭̲̻̭̖̭̖͎͔̦̣̱͔̘̖͔͉̎̽ͤ̔̅̈ͣͩ͗ͨͮ̐̈́̇̅ͮͪ̚͘͟͠ͅͅ ̴̺͔̯͈̓̾̅̓̑ͮ̒͐ͫ̈́̌͛́̈͊̇ͯ͊́͝

FILDO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:42 PM »
Wow....Thanks for the update.  What website did you find that on?

fatkidskickrocks4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »
wow, thats a tough lesson learned!
If you have to go "balls deep" you aren't doing it righ

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
Well We are heading up tomorro morning..sunday morning, my rig(white 4 runner) and 3 other jeeps...hope to see you guys there!
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Jun 01, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »
Here is a couple pics from bald today..sunday.

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2008, 05:38:04 PM by Joeyotaman »
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Weak-Link

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Jun 01, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
Just a FYI. The last two pictures in the creek bed are considered off trail. I know there are no signs to tell you its off trail, but it is. And the Forest Service is working on a way to keep people out of it.

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Jun 02, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
I did not know that and I have wheeled there for many years. I am glad you mentioned it.

FILDO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
Just a FYI. The last two pictures in the creek bed are considered off trail. I know there are no signs to tell you its off trail, but it is. And the Forest Service is working on a way to keep people out of it.

Well Joeyota, I guess we learn something new everyday.  I'm glad I stayed out of it.  Not that my rig coulda made it but yah....lol

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
Yea....i dot like that way anyway....about 30 seconds after getting out of that creekbed the cv snaped! F- that way!...haha!

sgunderman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jun 02, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »
Way to go Joey, your first trip out in the new rig and you are already messing it up for the rest of us. :smack:  Just kidding, I didn't know it was off-trail as well.

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jun 02, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
Haha hey shad! we should go wheelin soon...once i figure out my front drive line issue!

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jun 02, 2008, 09:48:09 PM »
Saturday :burnout:

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:07:07 PM »
didn't that creek used to be the trail and two years ago(i think) from the run off it was so bad they moved the trail around it.  I think but i could be wrong.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
Yup. It used to be THE WAY but after heavy run off and guys getting in there and just tearing it up, it's now thrashed. Seems every time a sign is posted or trees are dropped into the creek, they get pulled back out and people end up back in there. Sux if you don't know that is no longer the trail and there is no sign to tell you otherwise.
"between projects"

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jun 05, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
yeah i was just up there on sunday and there are no trail markers at that point but there is a log thats kind of in the path but it looks like its been moved and definately been driven over.  im not gonna lie it was tempting to head right through but i did go around.

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Jun 07, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
we are heading up Sunday morning :)

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »
I will be up there for a trail tour for some rookies on 6/21.  Anyone open to join?

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Jun 13, 2008, 11:35:24 PM »
yea ill be there for moonlight madness! should be quite a few rigs up there!

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Jun 14, 2008, 01:31:26 AM »
Crap is that Sat. night? Man I better be there.

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Jun 14, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
Yea there is a day run and a night run... i think the day run is 10-2 and night run is like 7-10 or something like that..im gunna run it i have never done a poker run, it should be fun!

Desertyodaboy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Jun 18, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »
I was at Bald Monday...perfect day up there...the trail was looking very good!

1986 4runner

lickady split

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Jun '08
  • THE POND SCUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Jun 27, 2008, 11:19:22 PM »
hey when is the next big trip to bald i would like to tag along im new to rock crawling been doing nothing but pismo in my chevy and boggin i have an 82 toyota p/u longbed hit me up

toys-4-fun.org   jared clark/ lickady split
have no fear jeep its pond scum here to pull u out