Author Topic: Installing staun beadlocks  (Read 5052 times)

nu106

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Installing staun beadlocks
« on: Apr 15, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
Heres my writeup of Staun Internal Beadlocks

I'm impressed with the overall quality and ease of installation of the beadlocks but with the Manufacturer in Australia, orders may take up to 50 days to receive parts. Don't expect the USA dealers to have replacement parts in stock.

When I placed my ordered from "CCOR" www.classiccityoffroad.com (pirate vendor), Jason told me my locks would take about 20 to 30 days to arrive,  I was in no hurry so I ordered them. They actually arrived earlier than expected. 

Well, during installation one of the inner tube valve stems broke off (make sure the o-ring is pushed all the way down before tightening the valve stem nut). I called Staun and they are gonna warranty it but its gonna take another 30 to 40 days to replace the broken tube. So now I'm trying to hunt down a replacement tube.

Video of breakin the tire bead Hi-Lift style
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i19.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid19.photobucket.com/albums/b190/cartmanspnus/tirebead.flv">

Lubed the rim and tire with window cleaner

Propping up the tire on some spares makes things a lot easier.

I bought two 30" tire irons form Harbor Freight and ground all the sharp edges to a radius. Its hard to explain but you will have to use one iron to prop up the bead and the other is gonna be pulling up the bead about 3inches from the first iron using the first iron as a pivot point, and just continue around the rim 3 inches at a time.

I measured where the new valve stem is gonna be drilled, make sure it exits on a flat or flatish portion of the rim. I drilled it at 1.25 from the absolute center of the rim.

I powdered up the tube and the kevlar housing then started to install
The Kevlar housing goes first then the inner tube, you dont need any tools besides your fingers to install em.

̿̾ͮͧͣ̍͛̽ͨ͏̬̲̮̦̖͓͇̺̥̪̖͡ͅ ̸̢͚̻̞͔͇̞̲͛̀͒ͪ̇̌̓̋ͅ ͪ̉ͯ̔̄̾ͥͬͮ҉̸͔̥̤͓̙̙̠̺̕ ̴̡̢̳̮͎̙̤̳́̄̋͋ͪ̇͋̓͋͐ͬ̾ͨ̋́̌̌͟͞ ̗̹̲̬̬̭̼̹͔̗̽ͫ͋͐ͮ̎̏ͭ͑ͨ̔̿͒̔ͦ͛́̀́́̚͞͠ ͚̻̱͎̙̗̎̋̄̓ͪ̏ͣ͊ͮͯ̂̎̋͌͆̐̀̀ ̨͙̬̼̙̲̳̟̿ͭ͆̈͋̄̍ͭ͟ ̵̡̛̙̯̺̪̲̙̱̳̜̲̮͚̘̥͙̦͆ͮ͒̑͒ͤͪ͐́͘ͅ ̧̡̨͓̪̬̘̊̎ͧ͌͒̂̏̄̀͢ ̡̡̤͔͓̙̩͕͓̲̥̰̥̹͇̉̑͛̒̀ͭͩ̐̀ ̂͂ͪ̌͆̐ͯͣ͊̾̿̆̎҉̭̭͎͓̤̤͇͕̯̫̭̟͇͢͡͠ ̸̻̩̬̳̘͍̑ͮͭ̏̿͆̒̅͛̈͞ͅ▲̴̷͙̫͚̣̝͔͇̰̜͎̖͓̣͕̫̺̮̉̅ͥͤ͋̅ͦͬ͌͛̇̂͞͠ͅ
̸̢̧̮͇̠̮̖͋ͭ̈͂ͦ͛̚͢͝ ̸̧̫̗̥͉̝͇̌͛ͭͩ͌͊ͮ̃̌ͮ̄̑͂ͤ̕̕͢ ̶̨̩͍̝̮͙̤͉͎̙̠̪͖̩̠͚̜̹̋̀̇̈̓͊͊̐̆̾̎ͧ̐͋̿̈ͥ́̚̚ ̂̒̉ͩͧ̔̈ͯ̉͝҉̢̣͇̜͓͘ ̴̠̞͙̱̯̗͍̠͎̺̘̠̟͙ͭ̑̔̃́ͮ̒ͪͭ͛ͣ̈͆͠͡ ̶̷̭̜͙̙̜̲͉̝̝͋ͬͨͧ ̢ͦ̄̎̏̄̈́̈́̔ͥ̅̕͞͏̝͓̟̣̼͉̬̪̣̼̪͎͝ ͬ̉͂҉̴͓̜͇̥̬͕̼̤̪̻̭̼̟̲̼̭͚͘͟͠ ̭̲̻̭̖̭̖͎͔̦̣̱͔̘̖͔͉̎̽ͤ̔̅̈ͣͩ͗ͨͮ̐̈́̇̅ͮͪ̚͘͟͠ͅͅ ̴̺͔̯͈̓̾̅̓̑ͮ̒͐ͫ̈́̌͛́̈͊̇ͯ͊́͝

nu106 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Installing staun beadlocks
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
Here is the valve stem that broke

the broken stem next to a good one
̿̾ͮͧͣ̍͛̽ͨ͏̬̲̮̦̖͓͇̺̥̪̖͡ͅ ̸̢͚̻̞͔͇̞̲͛̀͒ͪ̇̌̓̋ͅ ͪ̉ͯ̔̄̾ͥͬͮ҉̸͔̥̤͓̙̙̠̺̕ ̴̡̢̳̮͎̙̤̳́̄̋͋ͪ̇͋̓͋͐ͬ̾ͨ̋́̌̌͟͞ ̗̹̲̬̬̭̼̹͔̗̽ͫ͋͐ͮ̎̏ͭ͑ͨ̔̿͒̔ͦ͛́̀́́̚͞͠ ͚̻̱͎̙̗̎̋̄̓ͪ̏ͣ͊ͮͯ̂̎̋͌͆̐̀̀ ̨͙̬̼̙̲̳̟̿ͭ͆̈͋̄̍ͭ͟ ̵̡̛̙̯̺̪̲̙̱̳̜̲̮͚̘̥͙̦͆ͮ͒̑͒ͤͪ͐́͘ͅ ̧̡̨͓̪̬̘̊̎ͧ͌͒̂̏̄̀͢ ̡̡̤͔͓̙̩͕͓̲̥̰̥̹͇̉̑͛̒̀ͭͩ̐̀ ̂͂ͪ̌͆̐ͯͣ͊̾̿̆̎҉̭̭͎͓̤̤͇͕̯̫̭̟͇͢͡͠ ̸̻̩̬̳̘͍̑ͮͭ̏̿͆̒̅͛̈͞ͅ▲̴̷͙̫͚̣̝͔͇̰̜͎̖͓̣͕̫̺̮̉̅ͥͤ͋̅ͦͬ͌͛̇̂͞͠ͅ
̸̢̧̮͇̠̮̖͋ͭ̈͂ͦ͛̚͢͝ ̸̧̫̗̥͉̝͇̌͛ͭͩ͌͊ͮ̃̌ͮ̄̑͂ͤ̕̕͢ ̶̨̩͍̝̮͙̤͉͎̙̠̪͖̩̠͚̜̹̋̀̇̈̓͊͊̐̆̾̎ͧ̐͋̿̈ͥ́̚̚ ̂̒̉ͩͧ̔̈ͯ̉͝҉̢̣͇̜͓͘ ̴̠̞͙̱̯̗͍̠͎̺̘̠̟͙ͭ̑̔̃́ͮ̒ͪͭ͛ͣ̈͆͠͡ ̶̷̭̜͙̙̜̲͉̝̝͋ͬͨͧ ̢ͦ̄̎̏̄̈́̈́̔ͥ̅̕͞͏̝͓̟̣̼͉̬̪̣̼̪͎͝ ͬ̉͂҉̴͓̜͇̥̬͕̼̤̪̻̭̼̟̲̼̭͚͘͟͠ ̭̲̻̭̖̭̖͎͔̦̣̱͔̘̖͔͉̎̽ͤ̔̅̈ͣͩ͗ͨͮ̐̈́̇̅ͮͪ̚͘͟͠ͅͅ ̴̺͔̯͈̓̾̅̓̑ͮ̒͐ͫ̈́̌͛́̈͊̇ͯ͊́͝

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:16:12 AM »
Those are cool, hope they work good!!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
Good so far! :thumbs: I am doing these eventually.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »
:thumbs: nice writeup!!  Not done are ya? :gap: 

Good so far! :thumbs: I am doing these eventually.

:werd:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
nice writeup :clap:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

jrock

• Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »
Great video, thanks.

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »
remember the secret is 2 kick it.     beats swinging a BFH and hitting the rim 
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

krawlz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
WOW! Those are cool. I think I'm gonna order some. I'm wondering if the airsoft BB balancing method will still work with those, but I don't see why not.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper.....So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.

Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »
I dont see why they wouldnt work either.  not sure if those would throw off your balance any but it shouldnt interfere with the bbs at all....  I know willymammoth is running these locks for a while now, wonder if they have ever lost a bead with em on?
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

nu106 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:41:23 PM »
Thanks guys, I have 3 of the 4 tires completed just waiting on Staun to stock up the United States with tubes !!!!

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »
I dont see why they wouldnt work either.  not sure if those would throw off your balance any but it shouldnt interfere with the bbs at all....  I know willymammoth is running these locks for a while now, wonder if they have ever lost a bead with em on?

he said he had a problem with them  leaking a while back a go in AR

krawlz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
OK, so I was thinking about it , I use BB's because when I air down the wheel  spins inside the tire, so I had to rebalanced after most runs. Especially after a snow run. The BB's work great, but I think If you air down with the  Stauns, when you air up I think the BB's will get captured between the tire and the locks. So, I'm wondering if the Stauns would keep the wheel from spinning inside the tire so I could use the old method of 8 - 10 oz of lead on the wheel.  Not looking for an answer really, Just thinking. :dunno:.

he said he had a problem with them leaking a while back a go in AR

Was the leaking problem resolved?

I think I'm gonna try them anyway because iv been thinking about bead locks for awhile and the price is worth the experiment.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper.....So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:12:13 PM »
he said he had a problem with them  leaking a while back a go in AR

Overall I think he's been happy with them, hasn't he?  :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

nu106 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
The only place I can see the beadlocks leaking is out the valve stem holes. His o-rings may have been damaged during install or they might have just worn out :dunno:

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
OK, so I was thinking about it , I use BB's because when I air down the wheel  spins inside the tire, so I had to rebalanced after most runs. Especially after a snow run. The BB's work great, but I think If you air down with the  Stauns, when you air up I think the BB's will get captured between the tire and the locks. So, I'm wondering if the Stauns would keep the wheel from spinning inside the tire so I could use the old method of 8 - 10 oz of lead on the wheel.  Not looking for an answer really, Just thinking. :dunno:.

Was the leaking problem resolved?

I think I'm gonna try them anyway because iv been thinking about bead locks for awhile and the price is worth the experiment.

If gravity exists the BB's will be siting on the very bottom of the tire, even with sidewall deflection at 0 psi i doubt they will be near  the staun while airing up
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

krawlz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
If gravity exists the BB's will be siting on the very bottom of the tire, even with sidewall deflection at 0 psi i doubt they will be near  the staun while airing up

Yeah good point.     Can you say OVERANALYZE?

krawlz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »
Just talked to Classic City off road and they aren't taking orders right now, but hope to be in a couple weeks. their gonna call me when the locks are available. One thing for sure, they have the best price.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »
Have you ran these yet realy debating a set ?

nu106 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 04:15:21 PM »
Have you ran these yet realy debating a set ?

Yeah I ran them last weekend and they did great. I was at 4lbs all weekend , sidehills ,uphill, downhill, mashed on rocks and no problems yet.

The main reason I got them was because my last snow run I was at 2lbs of pressure on a long climb and my wheels were spinning in my tires so I had to air up to 5lbs to keep my beads from slipping.

I'd say that if you have the cash, get em. Its nice having the peace of mind that you wont loose a bead on a technical spot.