Author Topic: Does manufactures suggested retail really mean anything Parts rant  (Read 2436 times)

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile

I have to rant, ever since moving out of Redding to Chico I've been having issues with the local dealers parts department Chuck Patterson. I have asked nicely for some kind of discount numerous times on small items, but they seem to enjoy selling items well above manufactures suggest retail. Lithia in Redding would always sell me parts at suggested or below.

This week was the final straw as they charged my nearly $5.00 for a distributor housing o-ring that sells for a whopping $2 and change a Lithia. I'm kind of forced to take the abuse on little items because of shipping. I'm now fuming pissed because there any squat I can do or can I?   

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you can become a dealer yourself and say the hell to the dealer.... but other than that... there isnt anything you can do..... if you can find it cheaper, then cool.... dealers know you can't and that's why they do that..... they have the buying power to buy in bulk, most people don't

i have had good luck with www.trdparts4u.com and also www.1sttoyotaparts.com

just ordered a vacuum sticker from kneedownnate's brother aaron. he works @ a Lithia, and his prices are cheaper than msrp

i have noticed with local toyota dealerships that if you shop around, some can be different prices... some also offer things like AAA discounts or can hook you up if they like you.... all depends on the sales guy.... sometimes i get a discount because i work @ fedex, it isnt an actual corporate discount, but its the counter guys trying to help me out, they can usually pull up some type of discount
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
hmm... I have done a few job shadows and stuff at the local toy dealer (like the only one in the state, haha) and I get good discounts from cetain people... like a free trd stage 1 cam with barely any miles on it! Make friends with your parts counter guys... it will usually pay off in the end.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
I keep asking for a discount on everythign I buy but noone will give it to me.  I'm fed up with it, I'm not going to buy anything from now on!  :hahaha:

Sack up and get over it, so one dealer ups their price, thats life.  Ya find the one thats cheap and buy there instead of going back where you obviously KNOW you aren't going to get a deal.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
I keep asking for a discount on everythign I buy but noone will give it to me.  I'm fed up with it, I'm not going to buy anything from now on!  :hahaha:

Sack up and get over it, so one dealer ups their price, thats life.  Ya find the one thats cheap and buy there instead of going back where you obviously KNOW you aren't going to get a deal.

Oh whitey im just so glad we have our local MC ass back...its nice

And yah kneedownnates's brother works at lithia toyota up in orgeon. nice guy and gets a good deal on parts.

Chuck patterson sucks. I also live in chico and i went in to get a head gasket for a 81 22r and they said they couldnt get one. i called up nates brother and it was in my hands in like 3 days. Worth the wait and hes a nice guy.

Oh yeah may i mention chuck patterson still sucks? Dont ever go there. Theyre pretty shady.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Discounts are typically given based on attitude.  I get them at some local places because I treat them with respect  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Discounts are typically given based on attitude.  I get them at some local places because I treat them with respect  :twocents:

:yesnod: I always use sir and ma'am when speaking to people.

NT-OUTBACK [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
I just find it sucks given how many times I have bought parts from Chuck Patterson and asked nicely if they could do better on the price only to be stonewalled. I guess they think "locals" are whales, but it's really sad that Courtesy BMW and Benz always sells me parts under list.

It's not like I'm one of those people who special order crap and then return it leaving the dealer to eat it. I always prepay

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

:werd:

Kinda sucks, but if you're not happy with them, go somewhere else (use the internet too)  They know that they're the only one around, so they price accordingly.  Wrong or right, thats the way it works sometimes. 

I rarely go to dealers anyway.  It seems like most of the time, the parts people don't have any idea what they are doing anyway, and I can usually find stuff cheaper elsewhere
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
You'd think I'd get treated with respect and get a big discount when I buy from Marlins'.  Afterall I've easily spent 2k here.  I'm a nice guy too, I don't whine like a little pregnant dog or demand a discount when buying parts from them, maybe I should start.  Seems like its worked great for you at the dealership! 
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Suggested means just that  :shakehead:
Time to go wheelin!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
I just find it sucks given how many times I have bought parts from Chuck Patterson and asked nicely if they could do better on the price only to be stonewalled. I guess they think "locals" are whales, but it's really sad that Courtesy BMW and Benz always sells me parts under list.

It's not like I'm one of those people who special order crap and then return it leaving the dealer to eat it. I always prepay

Seriously... Courtesy motors is $$$$$$ but they are nice there.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
One more unabashed plug for kneedownnate's brother...  and he's a board member too.     :greengrin:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Yep thats the way it goes. If their is not another dealer close then they can charge more.I can get a customer the same part from out of town dealers less then they can from our in town dealers.Thats after our mark up too.  And normaly they will have to wait two or three days if they buy it and I can usaully have it here the next day.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com