Poll

What is your favorite brand of axle gear manufacturer?

Motive gear
Richmond
Yukon
Precision
Sierra
Stock Toyota

Author Topic: Who makes the strongest ring gear?  (Read 10664 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Who makes the strongest ring gear?
« on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »
Who makes the overall strongest ring and pinon? I am guessing it is impossible to say and will become a lot of debating without much proof but here goes nothing. I don't care about noise or wear, I just want the strongest ring gear to put back in my 4.10 high pinion and have cryo treated by bobby long.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Who makes the strongest ring gear?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »
my US gears have held up well to 37s and 40s

http://www.usgear.com/company_information.htm

We supply a wide base of OEM customers, including Meritor (Rockwell), Dana, General Motors, Chrysler and Ford, with a variety of differential and transmission gears.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008, 10:33:08 PM by Rockcrawlintoy »
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »
im thinking that stock should be the strongest, but not sure on that. my theory on this is that toyota has a more rigorous quality check system than any of the after market suppliers. ive heard that most of the gears that the aftermarket suppliers sell wont pass the OEM specifications. and ive also heard that there are only a few manufacturers for gears and many more suppliers that will stamp a name on them.

sort of like a grade A will be sent to Toyota and a grade B will be sent to Yukon and each will stamp their respective names on them.

but this is all hearsay, but if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »
motive :twocents:

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
I say stock Toyota.  And I don't put much stock in one brand vs. other.  Many share mfg.  I've purchased gears lately and my Precisions were reboxed Richmonds.  Kinda lame because Precisions cost more than Richmonds.  If all I was getting is Richmonds anyway why didn't I pay the Richmond price.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
i just got a stock rear axle with 4.56 and well have to regear the front. don't know if i want to pay for yota gears yet. I'll have to check on the price first.  how did the Richmond's look quality wise? i just need a r&p that can handle 31 to 33 inch tires anyway.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »
i just got a stock rear axle with 4.56 and well have to regear the front. don't know if i want to pay for yota gears yet. I'll have to check on the price first.  how did the Richmond's look quality wise? i just need a r&p that can handle 31 to 33 inch tires anyway.

Any R&P will handle 33" tires without a problem inless you have an IFS front.

im thinking that stock should be the strongest, but not sure on that. my theory on this is that toyota has a more rigorous quality check system than any of the after market suppliers. ive heard that most of the gears that the aftermarket suppliers sell wont pass the OEM specifications. and ive also heard that there are only a few manufacturers for gears and many more suppliers that will stamp a name on them.

sort of like a grade A will be sent to Toyota and a grade B will be sent to Yukon and each will stamp their respective names on them.

but this is all hearsay, but if you think about it, it kinda makes sense.

I think it does make a lot of sense. However, I also would think a lot of improvements in material quality and other factors have taken place in the last 20 or so years since the Toyota gears were manufactured. I would think the advancements in gear technology would make current aftermarket gears stronger that the factory toyota gears that came in our trucks.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
I think it does make a lot of sense. However, I also would think a lot of improvements in material quality and other factors have taken place in the last 20 or so years since the Toyota gears were manufactured. I would think the advancements in gear technology would make current aftermarket gears stronger that the factory toyota gears that came in our trucks.
i agree with this to a point... however you need to get gears from a good manufacturer.... genuine gear sucks and uses inferior metals... sure they have a lifetime warranty, but is it worth it when you factor downtime, and setup and resetup costs and time involved?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »
You are looking at 5-6 hundred dollars for OEM R & P set at this place.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214074

Gears are like anything else, everyone has their opinion.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
if i were to say bang for the buck, i would go with Yukon. Marlin will warranty them so they have to be good. Yukon is also what Randy's Ring and Pinion sell, so they are obviously popular for some reason.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:04:08 PM »
yukon i havent had problems running a 39inch tire
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
Nothing but Yukon.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
Any R&P will handle 33" tires without a problem inless you have an IFS front.

:dunno: richmonds are holding up just fine in my IFS with 35"s (before that 37"s) 

For most of us, you do have to look at cost as well.  Sure, toyota r&p s MAY be better, but if you balance out the cost, I'd go with a name brand of known high quality.  Personally, I've had experience with genuine (crap), yukon ( great) , and richmond (very happy with them)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
I say stock Toyota.  And I don't put much stock in one brand vs. other.  Many share mfg.  I've purchased gears lately and my Precisions were reboxed Richmonds.  Kinda lame because Precisions cost more than Richmonds.  If all I was getting is Richmonds anyway why didn't I pay the Richmond price.
where did you order them from ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »

i have actually heard htis before too, jsut dont remember which brands were reboxed... i htink there was a thread on ttora abotu a vendor doing that, not sure if it was a vendor issue or if the gears were actually the same though

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
I bought them from JT's in Washington (Just Differentials).  I don't think it is a vendor issue because I've heard of it happening everywhere.  All the vendors say the same thing about brands not making their own stuff including Motive and Yukon.  I'm just think its lame that I paid Precision Gear Prices and got Richmonds.  I probably could have just bought Richmonds and saved the $20+.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
I bought them from JT's in Washington (Just Differentials).  I don't think it is a vendor issue because I've heard of it happening everywhere.  All the vendors say the same thing about brands not making their own stuff including Motive and Yukon.  I'm just think its lame that I paid Precision Gear Prices and got Richmonds.  I probably could have just bought Richmonds and saved the $20+.

was that you who posted that on TTORA? i think it was the same vendor JTSDIFFS

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
I'm not on TTORA.  I've heard this happening at other venders as well.

My gear installer said it was common and I don't think he would lie to me.  He doesn't make any money off of it.  But I would like to know what the truth is.

EDIT:  When I call JT's and asked about it they seemed slightly shocked and said they don't open boxes before shipping them out.  Then he proceeded to tell me that this is common in the biz.  If he was lying I would like to know.  But how could there be this big ring and pinion conspiracy and us not know about it?
'04 Taco DC 4x4

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »

My gear installer said it was common and I don't think he would lie to me.  He doesn't make any money off of it.  But I would like to know what the truth is.

EDIT:  When I call JT's and asked about it they seemed slightly shocked and said they don't open boxes before shipping them out.  Then he proceeded to tell me that this is common in the biz.  If he was lying I would like to know.  But how could there be this big ring and pinion conspiracy and us not know about it?

like i said before, i think there only a few manufacturers and many suppliers. mistakes could happen during manufacturing and somebody elses name could be stamped on another suppliers/retailers merchandise.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2008, 05:11:18 AM »

I didnt think Precision Gear re-boxed? I was under the impression they manufactured their own gears
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2008, 05:22:35 AM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2008, 06:41:58 AM »
If it isn't a daily driver, have a set of Yukon gears sent to Bobby Long to be cryo treated.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2008, 06:45:29 AM »
I just got off the phone with a salesman from Precision Gear...he was pretty avoidant of my question on where the actual gears are manufactured. He said their gears are manufactured in plants all over the world. He also said that if vendors dont have Precision Gear brand that it is common practice to substitute another gear make...pretty disheartening  :outtahere:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »
another vote for US gear. made in America and u get US gears
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
where can you buy us gear R&P's. do they hold up in toys? if the price and quality is good, i buy USA stuff first.

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
like i said before, i think there only a few manufacturers and many suppliers. mistakes could happen during manufacturing and somebody elses name could be stamped on another suppliers/retailers merchandise.

I think it goes beyond a name stamp.  Richmonds have some characteristic marks that others don't have.  The following pic is not mine but borrowed from gearinstall.com
'04 Taco DC 4x4

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
where can you buy us gear R&P's. do they hold up in toys? if the price and quality is good, i buy USA stuff first.

i got mine at bent and twisted 4x4 in chico but they arent there anymore.
http://www.usgear.com/company_information.htm there is their website. i have been runnin mine for a few years with NO problems what so ever. they set up real easy.

Every process in the Manufacture of TORQ-LINE Ring & Pinion Gear sets is performed in-house to assure consistent quality.   Because installation is so critical with this product, each and every set comes with its own set of instructions.

Manufactured from Forged USA Steel

Pinion face Marked for "Checking" Distance

Made in the U.S.A
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
I think it goes beyond a name stamp.  Richmonds have some characteristic marks that others don't have.  The following pic is not mine but borrowed from gearinstall.com

now is that ground into the gear? to me, it looks like someone hit it with a grinder, then wrote on it with a sharpie

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

now is that ground into the gear? to me, it looks like someone hit it with a grinder, then wrote on it with a sharpie

I agree it looks like crap.  It looks like an electric engraving tool made the writing.  That is what mine looked like as well.  There are several installs of Richmonds on gearinstalls.com that show the same thing.  I don't know why its like that, it just is and is characteristic of Richmonds.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
I just got off the phone with a salesman from Precision Gear...he was pretty avoidant of my question on where the actual gears are manufactured. He said their gears are manufactured in plants all over the world. He also said that if vendors dont have Precision Gear brand that it is common practice to substitute another gear make...pretty disheartening  :outtahere:

I believe Precision gear is made in Italy from what I heard a long time ago.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
If it isn't a daily driver, have a set of Yukon gears sent to Bobby Long to be cryo treated.

is it bad to have cryo them if theyre gonna be daily driven?
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new