Author Topic: anyone ever find a electronic version of a 1981 factory service manual...  (Read 3897 times)

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
in desperate need of one. I know someone is going to say search the forum...I did and that is why i am posting this. sorry...i am in a bad mood. my 81 is having charging problems and it is F***ing pissing me off.

thanks all...
todd
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008, 07:04:50 PM by boobap »
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
ok...anyone have a scanned schematic of the wiring?

thanks,
todd

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
I've got an 81 Toyota  fsm at home.. I'll see if i can find the wiring schematic and scan it. won't be till Monday.. no internet at home. what exact problems are you having with your charging system. if you explain it someone might have a fix for you. relax working on Toyota's is fun.  :hammerhead:

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
volt meter is saying that alternator is putting out 14-14.5 volts, but it is not making it to the battery. and in my toyota the freaking charge wiring runs through the damn dash and then back to the battery. why in the hell would toyota run the charge wire through the dash, why not just around the radiator straight to the battery. also looked at the wiring diagrams on the autozone website and they show 3 fusable links...can't find those either. you should see my yota, both harness's are stripped and hanging over the wheel wells and the interior/dash is almost all ripped out also.

this is the first major problem that i have had with the yota in almost 13 years, so i guess i should not get to upset with her...thanks for the help if you can.

todd

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
hope this helps.. with the engine running what is the voltage at the battery? also try this.. at the wire your getting 14 volts at the alt.. unhook it and the positive cable at the battery. then do a continuity test between the two. walk the wire through until you find the brake in continuity. it's an old truck who know what's been done to it.. plus i had a perfectly good looking wire rot out right in the middle.  zero current flow.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
i believe the fuseable links are in or by the connectors on the small red wires next to the battery. mines been modified with fuse's a long time ago.

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
sweet...thanks for the info and diagram. i will look into it. i did a continuity test between the wire on the alternator and the wire that goes to the battery. it beeped just fine. i am still thinking that there is a break an it is carring the small amount from the multimeter, but not carring any amps through the same wire. any thoughts?

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
could be.. check all your grounds to you battery and charging system. test your battery. also with the engine running test for a voltage drop along you charge wire. start at the alt and work your way to the battery.  just watch out for moving parts while the engine is running.

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
could you also scan the page where it tells you what all of the fuses are in the fuse block?

thanks so much,
todd

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
some pics of my nightmare... :tantrum: ...and leave me alone about the floor mats...they where only $2.50 each :moon:

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
ya.. I'll bet your seeing wires in your sleep. couldn't find the page that shows the fuse box. I'll check again tonight. heres the cover on my 79.. might be the same. if so it's the gauge fuse and the engine fuse that relates to the charging system. they're the two in the middle.

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
sweet thanks dude...that will help a lot...i am gonna give you a few turtle points for the help...
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 05:32:47 PM by boobap »

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
thanks.. i did find a picture that shows where the fusible links are on an 81 4x4.