Author Topic: I thought it was required when you join...  (Read 6510 times)

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
Re: I thought it was required when you join...
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
That your FIRST thread be in the new member section?  I seem to remember reading that when I first joined the site, but in the last couple months it seems like atleast 5 people join a week and make their first post in the classifieds. 

Maybe I'm alone in thinking they should make an effort to atleast appear to be a contributing member BEFORE trying to hock their wares, but I don't think I'm the only one  :dunno:

Required??? No I do not think that was ever the case. Marlin Crawler has always encouraged folks to identify themselves after signing up. That in itself is just common courtesy on any public venue. I do not see MC ever requiring this.

As for For Sale, it has always been buyer beware. Always will be. MC can not assume any liability for bad sellers. You will not find that on the internet anywhere except maybe Ebay. It is MC policy to not delete old threads just because they are old. Threads can be locked or noted with a SOLD designation.

Scott
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
. Threads can be locked or noted with a SOLD designation.

Scott
get my vote  :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #32 on: Mar 16, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
I think that any thread without any activity for 6 mos. is inactive and should be considered a dead thread and subject to deletion.  :twocents:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »
I think that any thread without any activity for 6 mos. is inactive and should be considered a dead thread and subject to deletion.  :twocents:
x2 and it should help keep the forum running smooth...less crap.

in the FOR SALE section of course...If I had a thread in rig gallery and didn't change anything for 6 mos, I wouldn't want to find my thread deleted.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
Or the build section, cuz sometimes its more than 6 mos for some people to update (like me), or the general or tech sections, cuz I go back thru all that stuff and look at really old threads.

NOTICE: I DO NOT BRING THE THREADS BACK FROM THE DEAD LIKE SOME PEOPLE (mainly noobs) DO

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »
x2 and it should help keep the forum running smooth...less crap.

in the FOR SALE section of course...If I had a thread in rig gallery and didn't change anything for 6 mos, I wouldn't want to find my thread deleted.

Sorry I didn't make that clear, I was refering to the Classified Section only.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:04:34 PM »
As for For Sale, it has always been buyer beware. Always will be. MC can not assume any liability for bad sellers. You will not find that on the internet anywhere except maybe Ebay.

Scott

I understand that mc can not be, and is not, in any way responsible for the sellers, their conduct or their ethics.  What this is about is people who seemingly join just to sell their stuff.  Some others seem to agree with me that it'd be nice if people were to at least introduce themselves in the new member section before being allowed to post something for sale.  I know some see it as asking a lot of people or being too strict, but I think it'd help keep away the potential spammers.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
I understand that mc can not be, and is not, in any way responsible for the sellers, their conduct or their ethics.  What this is about is people who seemingly join just to sell their stuff.  Some others seem to agree with me that it'd be nice if people were to at least introduce themselves in the new member section before being allowed to post something for sale.  I know some see it as asking a lot of people or being too strict, but I think it'd help keep away the potential spammers.

I totally agree with everything you said. :yesnod:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:11:28 PM »
:werd: I am with you Nate.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:02:09 AM »
I think a seller/buyer feedback section would be great......Yotatech has one
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:01:54 AM »
:therethere:  I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  I can see the dilemma, you don't want to delete a thread when someone is still selling something, but it sure is a PITA when some new guy asks if something is for sale, and pulls the thread back from when it died in oh, say 2004.  :hahaha: 

Do you know if there is a way that the section can be set so the threads are automatically deleted if they are inactive for say, 90 days, 6 mos. whatever?  :dunno:  That way it could automatically weed out the stuff that is either gone and the seller forgot to delete the thread, or the seller no longer frequents the board. 

I like the idea of the automatic delite, time limit feature. I had an old thred pop up a few months ago and then asked LILBUDDY to delite it. Thanks again Chris.

I personally think it should be on the shoulders of the origonal poster, to change the topic, to "sold" thats what I would have done, if I could have. Everyone should take it upon them selves to take responsibility for their posts. Lilbuddy, and the other mods, shouldnt have to cover every single post, thats just to much to handle. A simple "sold" in the topic would keep these old posts from poping up when unwanted, and also indicate to the mods that the thread is ok to delite, if they see fit.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
x2

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »

Werd, I've thought the same thing for a while too!  I think I even offered to moderate it too  :crazy:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »
just got another one lol :gap:
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
I saw that!  That was his second post, his first being another rig a little earlier tonight  :shake:  How many does that make in the last week? 
RIP KYOTA

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »
I am up to about 12 in the last seven days, its like huntin, i find it fun.

Oh well i will gladly post that link a thousand times
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »
I like the idea of the automatic delite, time limit feature. I had an old thred pop up a few months ago and then asked LILBUDDY to delite it. Thanks again Chris.

I personally think it should be on the shoulders of the origonal poster, to change the topic, to "sold" thats what I would have done, if I could have. Everyone should take it upon them selves to take responsibility for their posts. Lilbuddy, and the other mods, shouldnt have to cover every single post, thats just to much to handle. A simple "sold" in the topic would keep these old posts from poping up when unwanted, and also indicate to the mods that the thread is ok to delite, if they see fit.

I think that is a lot of the problem though, is a lot of people don't change the title/delete the thread when something is sold.  They either forget, or don't care, so it sticks around.  Also, I've seen threads that are clearly marked sold pop up with "Still got this?"  several months later.  :smack:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »
That's why I've been trying to update my sale threads with SOLD in atleast the title, and usually in the ad itself. 
RIP KYOTA

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:11:12 AM »
I think they could automatically be deleted after 1 year.  While you are at it hows about deliting this one
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34451.0
Thanks, Randy

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:16:17 AM »
I found out tonight you can delete your own threads. I just locked the topic and deleted the first post, and poof, my thread was gone! It comes in handy.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Mar 18, 2008, 05:16:39 AM »
I think that is a lot of the problem though, is a lot of people don't change the title/delete the thread when something is sold.  They either forget, or don't care, so it sticks around.  Also, I've seen threads that are clearly marked sold pop up with "Still got this?"  several months later.  :smack:
haha just seeing thise reminded me about a sale thread I forgot about from a few months ago! thanks
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
haha just seeing thise reminded me about a sale thread I forgot about from a few months ago! thanks

:usa: no problem!
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent