Author Topic: Tacoma Transmission and Clucth assembly problems  (Read 2946 times)

Dark Chaos

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
Tacoma Transmission and Clucth assembly problems
« on: Jun 29, 2004, 07:06:33 AM »
Toyota enthusiast I need your :help: help what would you do?,
I have a used 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 regular cab it has been having a great deal of problems with the transmission and clutch assembly. As of the 7th of July the truck has been in the shop 4 times to my local Toyota dealershipS (1st and 2nd time to the same Toyota dealership) for the same problems first time they replaced the pilot bearing and the clutch release bearing they also changed the transmission fluid, all under warranty. The squeak came back and it is still hard to shift into 1st, 3rd, reverse and still makes a violent thud in 4th and 5th gear when the clutch is released. Also the clutch release fork shakes, The 2nd time I took it up their the mechanics told me it is the belts that are squeaking and needed to be replaced I said since when the clutch assembly is operated by a belt. Last time I went to that Toyota dealership! Toyota dealership #2 3rd time, they could not find anything wrong they told me the transmission it operating the way it was designed to and their should be some noise coming from the transmission. (May be in reverse). The sad thing is she has never been off road once since we met, and now I am afraid of taking her off road she is falling apart on city streets (then again some streets are worse than trails) :dunno: I do not  know what my next course of action would be? I all ready checked into the Magnusson Moss act on lemons but the vehicle has to be worked on three times for the same problem not looked at and it has only been worked on once. Here is the best part would love to trade it in but I have not owned the vehicle for a year yet
 :reg:     

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Hmmmm.........

You know we had this local guy who's 84-89 style pickup would not shift right. When I went out to drive it, it felt like the syncros were all wasted and you basically had to rev-match the engine speed to the trans speed just to upshift (not even talking about downshifting)..

Everyone told him its your transmission, oh you've gotta rebuild your trans, but Marlin looked at it and determined that the trans was in good shape, so we pulled it out to inspect the clutch, and I dont know how we figured this out, but apparently the factory bellhousing was slightly OFF-CENTER! We were amazed and after we switched bellhousings, it felt like a new transmission..

I dont know if this is the problem, but you could ask the dealer to interchange bellhousings to see if that does any good -- but its a shot in the dark

Or it sounds like your clutch is not disengaging all the way. It can be adjusted by two nuts at the end of the clutch pedal itself (up top where the clutch master cylinder attaches to the pedal assymbley) or the flywheel may have been improperly surfaced and it is still contacting the disk even when the clutch is activated.

Good Luck,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Go into the dealership and tell them that your father in law who works for BAR told you that you should take your truck to them cause they have a good track record  :thumbs:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
you can just give it to me :yupyup: