Author Topic: Suggested '05-08 Taco Trans/Xfr case for centered front 4WD IFS diff & Hi HP app  (Read 1843 times)

atomicjoe23

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
What would be suggested transmission(s)/transfer case combinations to use with a High HP/torque engine (say up to a max of 435 HP/470 ft-lb. torque)???

I need a transmission/transfer case combo that will allow me to mate up to an '05-08 Tacoma (or possibly the '95-04 or maybe even '86-94 Tacoma 4WD IFS) 4WD IFS centered differential. . .I will be upgrading the '05-08 4WD IFS with Total Chaos Fab uniball long travel suspension kit with the extended 4130 axles and dual shock hoops (unless there is a better system out there for high speed use. . .i.e. desert racing, fire roads, etc.).

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
...High HP/torque engine (say up to a max of 435 HP/470 ft-lb. torque)...
...4WD IFS centered differential...
I'm sorry, but those phrases should not be used in the same sentence.
What plans do you have for strengthening the IFS components?

atomicjoe23 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, but those phrases should not be used in the same sentence.
What plans do you have for strengthening the IFS components?

That's part of what I'm trying to figure out. . .I'm unfamiliar with the Toyotat stuff (and I'm new to off-roading in general) so I don't know what's out there to strengthen the IFS. . .the only thing that I know for sure at the moment is that I will be using the extended 4130 axles included in the Total Chaos Fab uniball long travel suspension system and I could/would upgrade the Birfields as well. . .other than those two things I don't know what else can be done (except for quality gears inside the diff). . .what suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
That's part of what I'm trying to figure out. . .I'm unfamiliar with the Toyotat stuff (and I'm new to off-roading in general) so I don't know what's out there to strengthen the IFS. . .the only thing that I know for sure at the moment is that I will be using the extended 4130 axles included in the Total Chaos Fab uniball long travel suspension system and I could/would upgrade the Birfields as well. . .other than those two things I don't know what else can be done (except for quality gears inside the diff). . .what suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks
1. Cryo treat everything!
2. There are no birfs in IFS front suspension
3. Precision Gears

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
there are no birfields in ifs, however you may have been confused because ifs uses a constand velocity joint... the birfields is 1 type of constant velocity joint but is exclusive to the toyota solid axles from 79-85
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

atomicjoe23 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
there are no birfields in ifs, however you may have been confused because ifs uses a constand velocity joint... the birfields is 1 type of constant velocity joint but is exclusive to the toyota solid axles from 79-85

Yeah. . .I was confused. . .like I said before I'm unfamiliar with the Toyota stuff so I'm trying to learn before I get started. . .thanks for the clarification though.