Author Topic: 2WD Clutch Slips in 4th Gear Only. Acceptable?  (Read 5072 times)

JD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
What is an "FSM"? I have decided to do the job myself when the times comes and see if I can get my brother to help me with dropping the transmission.

I am reluctant to do the "4th gear engine killing test" if there's any chance it will make the clutch even a tiny bit worse and rob me of a few days/miles of use. I already know the clutch slips in 4th if I accelerate too hard up a hill or against a strong cross wind.

There is a pedal adjustment which I unfortunately don't really understand too well. I thought I'd mess around with that and see if I can figure out how to at least get that properly adjusted. I also have an oil leak from somewhere I thought might be working its way into the clutch somehow,

Any suggestions for squeezing a few more miles/days of use out of this clutch? My financial situation is really bad at the moment with no money coming in for several months.

85xcab, sorry about the mechanic remark, you guys do a tough job and earn every penny. My profession (law) has a similarly bad reputation, and people from the outside never understand how tough things really are.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
What is an "FSM"?
Any suggestions for squeezing a few more miles/days of use out of this clutch?
FSM is a Toyota Factory Service Manual....like the techs use at the dealer.....

tips to make the clutch last longer? DONT DRIVE!  :hahaha:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

85xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Don't do the 4th gear test if you are going to try and get a few more miles out of it.
The clutch pedal should have a small amount of free travel, if the pedal is tight at the top it may not be engaging the clutch completely and adjusting it might help. As long as you have some free travel at the top of the stroke adjusting it is not going to help.
What do you get when you cross a lawyer and a...........j/k

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
 a haynes manual  is  just fine for a clutch replacement,  they even  tell you how to adjust them
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

JD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Don't do the 4th gear test if you are going to try and get a few more miles out of it.
The clutch pedal should have a small amount of free travel, if the pedal is tight at the top it may not be engaging the clutch completely and adjusting it might help. As long as you have some free travel at the top of the stroke adjusting it is not going to help.
What do you get when you cross a lawyer and a...........j/k

I just did the 4th gear test and the engine died.

So, what DO you get when you cross a lawyer and a...........j/k?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I just did the 4th gear test and the engine died.

So, what DO you get when you cross a lawyer and a...........j/k?

so you've got a little time.

where exactly is the oil leak coming from?  if it is coming off the top, and getting into the bellhousing, that could be getting oil on the clutch, causing it to slip when it experiences higher than normal loads. (steep hill, headwind)  If its dripping, or looks like it may be coming from your bellhousing, your rear main may be going, once again getting oil on the clutch.  Of course, to repair the rear main, you'll have to pull the tranny and clutch anyway.  If its somewhere on the top, try to chase down the leak and fix it, and see if it helps.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
www.ncttora.com for the fsm

the valve cover gaskets are notorious for leaking as are the rear main seals... both pretty easy fixes (at least on the 22r series) also if its a 22r, its got those funky half moon things below the valve cover gaskets and those leak like heck too if not seated just right
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

JD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
So it sounds like I may want to wait and see if it it gets any worse. I drove it today and yesterday and no slipping. Of course I avoided a lot of torque, especially in 4th gear, which is not difficult.

How long does a typical clutch last anyway on one of these trucks? I don't drive off road or peel out. I basically drive like an old man, so I would expect my clutch to be toward the upper end of life expectancy.

Not sure where the oil is leaking from, I always assumed it was from either the drain plug or the oil filter, but when I have the tranny off I will look around for other possible places. Thanks for all the useful info, it's more informative than polishing off a 12 pack with an experienced Toyota mechanic. Cheaper and less filling too.:)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Don't know if you mentioned it above, but how many miles are on the truck, and how long have you owned it?  If you really do drive like an old man, and don't subject the truck to much (if any) abuse (hauling, towing, wheeling, etc.)  then you can get 150-200K out of a clutch with no problem.  I've got a buddy that I've known for a while who's 2wd nissan has 230K miles on it, with the original clutch, his dad bought it new, and drives like an old man.  If you drive like an old man, and do a clutch, I wouldn't be surprised if your clutch out lives the truck.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

JD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Mileage is currently 190k, so it sounds like I'm about due for a new clutch. I just figured if it had lasted this long it would last forever, but that's probably just wishful thinking. Thanks!

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
i just "fixed" and oil leak in my bell housing. the reason i put fixed in quotations is because last time i looked to see if it was still leaking, i saw just a tiny bit of oil so i'm not totally sure i fixed it. it was the cover plate for the tranny input seal, when i replaced the tranny input seal, i couldn't get a gasket for the cover and i don't think i put any sealer on it so this time i put hi temp RTV on it i guess i'll check again here pretty soon. the oil was coming down the fork that the release bearing is on and down the hole at the bottom of the bell housing.
lets not and say we did.

JD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Just replaced the clutch over the weekend. Definitely NOT a one man job, especially removing and reinstalling the transmission. It took me and my brother two 6 hour days to get it done. We did not have any power tools though. Some of the nuts and bolts were unbelievably tight, esp. the bolts on the U joint / drive line.

I found a little oil in the bottom of the bell housing. Clutch still had about .5 millimeters of surface left. I think the slippage was probably due at least in part to the oil in there, though I did nothing to fix that. It's very possible it was dripping off the fork, since there was no trace of it having dripped out of the transmission by way of the shaft.

All I can say is that I have a newfound respect for anyone who does this for a living, and hope I never have to do this again. Thanks for all the help, and I hope the new clutch lasts another 190k.