Author Topic: Running bigger than 35's with stock axles...ok? Wouldn't think so, but...  (Read 3277 times)

toymachine

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since May '02
  • Marlin's the best....its that simple
    • View Profile
So it's time to buy new tires...hurray :biggthumpup:, well it has been for awhile, but the wife... :screwy:
Anyway, I wanted to get 35's or bigger...37's would be perfect!, but the price jumps so high aorund there, and i am afraid i will break something

I run lockrites front and rear with 5.29's and 4.70's in the transfer case, and stock birfields, and usually 33's or 32's.  I have only broken one birfield before, and that was 2 years ago, just driving through some ruts in the middle of no where.

We wheel pretty hard usually,  www.nmt.edu/~offroad   ,  and i have never really held back because of fear of breaking a birfield...of course i drive fairly cautiously...don't back up while cranking it hard or anything.... I ran 35's a few times out, and didn't seem to have any problems except my escalating confidence..

I know it is usually said that you shouldn't run over a 35" with a stock axle....but what have you guys experienced?

I have seen people run 36's and have no problems. I was thinking of running a 36" IROK, but the blessing of having a tire that is actually the advertised size,or bigger in this case, seems not a blessing at all, being that it is almost a 37", and even closer to "almost" breaking my darn birfields.  Anyway, what are some thoughts on this.   

I'm not worried about clearance really, because i chopped the fenders.  It did seem like i would need to cut the floor board some, or move the axle forward to get some firewall clearance.  I gathered from another post to use rear springs in the front, but what if i just slide the leaves forward an inch (not sure if that would affect much in a bad way)or make new mounts an inch forward for the shackles.

Sorry so long, thanks guys. :beer:
Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!!!

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
I am running on 38" and have not had problems  I like your idea about making new mounts an inch forward for the shackles

My truck has a 2" boddylift I cutted the firewall and have 5,71 3d members (no-spins) and a dual t-case thatīs it.

I would prefer the 5.29 because it is so much stronger bud I am still waiting for me to break the
5,71 so I can replace it

But if you donīt have a solid axle there is much hier risk of ruining the axles cause it is easier to get mud insite of those axles  but probably more than 50% of trucks in iceland donīt have solid axles and are on 38" but this is the max tire size ?  for those trucks
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
i dont see much of a problem with 35 in tires just go easy on it, and i think the weak link wouldent be the axles it would prolly be the 5.29 gears because there weaker than say 4.88 gears i would make shure to carry a spair birf just in case good luck :beerchug: :thumbs:

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
It is an 83' solid axle...

Thanks for the info guys, definately... :beerchug:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
With a front locker i would thin kthe birf would be the first to go.  I have only heard a few people break there 5.29 r&p.  It doesn't sound good when it happens either.  I think it is the driving style or the truck.  Some people can break stock birfs in there driveway while some people have been running them for years without breakage.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
i can brake stock birfs in my drive way and i have 31 in tires i did it :smack:

toymachine [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
well....i might as well just go with 36 (36.5) Iroks, so i will be satisfied, and n :beer:thanks fellasot long for bigger tires.....yet.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
I'm runnin stock axles and 5.29's on 36 inch TSL's with dual cases and ARB's front and rear for over a year now with no breakage YET
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

spaceman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jun '04
    • View Profile
I have an 83 with detroits, low gears and 38s.  I started with 33s and e-z lockers and a double case and broke 2 birfields in about a year.  Next was 36s and a 4:1 in one case and broke 2 more birfields in a few months.  Next I got Marfields (now I'm showing my age!) for a competition in 2000 and broke one the second day!  It was warranteed and lasted till 2002.  The other finally broke in Aug. 2003.  Now I have Longfields and 38s.  One longfield is about 1 1/2 years old and the other is almost 1 year old.  I've limited my sreering a lot and run in 2wd a lot and am a much better driver now. so we'll see what happens.

In my opinion, the way to save birfields is to have a selectable locker in the front, max out the steering stops and try to keep the wheel straight when in a bind and never back up an obstacle or pull someone else backwards. (use the winch or turn around)

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T

In my opinion, the way to save birfields is to have a selectable locker in the front, max out the steering stops and try to keep the wheel straight when in a bind and never back up an obstacle or pull someone else backwards. (use the winch or turn around)

this is probably the best advise you could give anyone

over 7 years I have never broken a 3d member but I have broken one birfield meanwhile others around me break the 5,71 allot 1-2 times per year. It depents on the driver
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs