Author Topic: Hey ALL I Have an O7 Tacoma Access Cab And Want to Modify the Thing!!!  (Read 2153 times)

BigMikeyC

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Jul '07
  • "Life's TOO Short,SO WHEEL MORE and CRAWL LOT'S"
    • View Profile
I  gave the shop a call and couldn't get a sett of gears for my trans case or just get an assembled one ,untill I dual it up..I need 4.7 gears to crawl slower...then I want to dual and get even slower with larger tires after I wear these out...I don't even have 4000 miles on the truck and already hit some good trails..but the stock 2.56:1 is to hard on me and my back,not to mention the truck,I don't want to kill it or abuse it just have some fun..there are some really nice trails I have access to that I just can't do anything with when I only have first gear that is goin slow enough to climb..no options unless I just hit it hard,and I waited awhile to get a new truck just to kill it! So is there anything I can do resonably priced without an SAS before I can gear up..

And I also want to ask if doing a body lift is ok..for me..most say yes if I wheel alot so I can keep the underside betweeen the frame clear of mud..let alone the 2 - 3 inches of lift,or should I get a level lift for the front to run the 33's I'm getting this week..they say all I need is 2-2and ahlf inches in the front to go with 33's..  later when I wear those out was when I will lift six inches and go 35's.. but for now being a new truck with 70000 mile waranty..I can't do that,yet.. I was going to get a complete t-case,keep my factory as a spare till I dual up,but was told not without SAS,then with just putting marlins gears in my t-case...said no go too..whats changed so much in the 07 ?  that I can't use the best gears made!! :maddest: can you help me big Mike,you sold me on the gears and stuff before I even bought the truck...  please help me OBI WAN BIGMIKE your my only hope   :willynilly:          Thanks all,
Mikey
Love a Little And Crawl ALOT...But be sure and "play" at Home to keep the WIFE happy....So you can Crawl LOT's MORE !!!!
(Every one in this country that is a legal resident should get a concealed Weapons or Handgun permit ,and carry a gun or weapon!)..That said; I give Ky CCDW courses...Protect our rights and fight for our freedoms, before they're lost to us!!                  God Bless The USA

punkrock crawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 117
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
They use a different transferecase in the later model trucks. Your best bet is to dual t-case it if your wanting more gear. Marlin sells a kit to do this. Keep in mind you may need to modify your driveshafts but Im not sure on that so research it. You could always regear the axles but its not nessasary until you step up to larger tires. Also re-gearing the axles will change your overall constant ratio where as the dual t-case will only give you more gear when you want it. Hope this helps but remember to research as much as possible before you make your decision. I also have a 06 Tacoma 4x4 and really like the later models.
Dying to live and living to die!

1983 Hilux
3" suspension lift, Marlin L52 transmission, Marlin ultimatecase 4.70, Marlin 1200 Clutch, 30" tires, Spraypaint exterior, Webber carb.

2006 Tacoma 4x4

AWSUMDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '06
  • 1 BIG TACO!
    • View Profile
    • ROCKSOLIDTOYS COM
Marlin has a the adapters to put dual case's in these things if your is an auto tranny.  They did mine with 2.28 gears in the front box and it was night and day.  The thing just crawls over everything now.  The best thing that was done to my truck, and alot was done to it.

As far as SASING your truck, think about what you want first and what axles you want to use before you dive into this swap.  It's gonna cost alot regardless of what others tell you.  Don't get sucked up in the thought that you can go get juunk yard axles and stick those under your brand new truck and everything will be hunky dorey.  Spend the money and do it right the first time so your not conctantly fixing problems that arise from a junkyard swap.  I haven't seen one swap yet that used a junk yard axle that didn't have to be completely rebuilt with all new parts before it was reliable.

Just my two cents.
Wyatt Scott "AWSUMDC"
"Linked, Locked, & Large"

WWW.ROCKSOLIDTOYS.COM

http://community.webshots.com/user/awsumdc

BigMikeyC [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Jul '07
  • "Life's TOO Short,SO WHEEL MORE and CRAWL LOT'S"
    • View Profile
Thanks guys..I don't want to do an sas anytime soon..just gears, lift ,bigger tires ,and lockers...I was just hoping to get a set of gears or a whole geared tcase installed till ,,down the road some and then do some heavy duty mods...thanks
Love a Little And Crawl ALOT...But be sure and "play" at Home to keep the WIFE happy....So you can Crawl LOT's MORE !!!!
(Every one in this country that is a legal resident should get a concealed Weapons or Handgun permit ,and carry a gun or weapon!)..That said; I give Ky CCDW courses...Protect our rights and fight for our freedoms, before they're lost to us!!                  God Bless The USA