Author Topic: Opinions on tires  (Read 2434 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Opinions on tires
« on: Dec 01, 2007, 04:56:36 PM »
I am going to buy a seperate set of tires for winter, because my dueler MTs aren't cutting it. I have located some rims, and am about to choose a tire. I wanted an all terrain, because I want to be able to use it for half the year, not just a couple months. I was going to go BFG A/Ts, but they are too exspensive. So I looked around and found the General Grabber AT2. Very similar to the bfg, but half the price. Plus they have the Mountain/Snowflake symbol indicating that it is a very good winter tire. Anyone used these? Opinions? Thanks!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on tires
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
How much are all those tires mounted and balanced?

At costco in chico they are selling (4) 35" BFG A/Ts for 166 each mounted and balanced... Thats pretty cheap. Try price matching places too...
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:07:13 PM »
They are $90 for 225/75r15. I decided to go stock size, because it is cheaper, and I know they will fit. I would go 30x9.5, but that puts me over my 100 dollar limit (can't spend everybody's christmas gifts!)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »
If I mount and balance myself they are not even 80 bucks. Tires here are pretty cheap I guess.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:12:31 PM »
i would run BFG's but consider the options, Hankooks rto3, auroras, firestone destinations, cum-hos, etc

if u buy a cheap tire...thats what u get... a cheap tire
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
they got a good review in fourwheeler magazine. Also reading other reviews their wet pavement performance is spectacular. Plus the fact that they have the mountain and snowflake symbol means they will work really well in ice and snow. My dads bfg ATs have the same symbol, and they work very well during winter. Plus I can stud them, which you can't do with the BFGs. Remeber, these are for a little before winter, during winter, and a little after winter. The rest is my dueler MTs. Anytime I go wheeling, I will swap them out (during winter). They should last atleast 3 years, and it will increase life on my bridgestones.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »
snowflake symbol means they will work really well in ice and snow.
the snowflake just means they are rated for snow and ice...it's not really indicative of performance....

does anyone else know...is siping a requirement to achieve this rating?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
This is from a guy on tirerack.com, I don't know if this is a good source for info or not, but here we go:

1995 Chevrolet Blazer 4wd 2dr  More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle    Buy/More Info
General Grabber AT 2 
Miles driven on tires: 20,000
Driving Condition: Mostly Off Road
Driving Style: Spirited

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

This is my second review of this tire and after reading other reviews i felt it neccesary to do this tire justice.  I own a snow plowing business and after finding out that "Revos" are as good as racing slicks after 50% tread loss all of these tires have went on my trucks.  These tires will take you around a cloverleaf on ramp at 50 and through 8 inches of fresh powder just as fast.....I have my Class A CDL and as a proffesional driver i can tell you that any negative reviews on these tires are because of people who dont understand just what kind of tire this is....I.E. an off road tire.  It is not a tire made to handle heavy loads and it is not a street tire so whet traction will not be as good.  But as an OFF ROAD all terrain tire they do not get any better....One more note the stopping ability of this tire is amazing in adverse conditions and if this was nota great tire it would not be endorsed by the american tire manufacturers association for severe snow and ice conditions.  Buy this tire and leave everyone including the know nothings that gave this tire a bad rating behind.

--Review submitted: 2007-10-19

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »
I probably wont put 20,000 miles on them in 10 years, so treadwear shouldn't be a problem (it is something a bunch of people bitched about on tire rack).

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »
How to confirm a winter performer from tirerack.com

What's the difference in snow traction between an M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tire, an All-Season tire and a purpose-built winter tire? While many drivers probably aren't absolutely sure, it can be the difference between getting to work, getting home or getting stuck.

The original definition of M+S tires is based on the geometry of the tread design. The M+S designation was first used to differentiate the knobby bias ply tires intended for use on muddy, and/or snow-covered roads from the straight rib tires used on early cars or trucks. Tires with tread designs that meet the definition may be branded with the letters "M" and "S" in several different ways (e.g., M&S, M+S, M/S, MS, etc.) at the discretion of the tire manufacturer.

When early radial ply tires were also found to deliver more snow traction than the straight rib, bias ply tires, the tire companies introduced "All-Season tires." Supported by advertising, All-Season tires have presented an unspoken promise that they, throughout their life, can provide traction for all seasons...through spring's rain, summer's heat, fall's cooling and winter's snow. While this combined offering has made All-Season tires popular, many drivers have learned that a geometric definition doesn't guarantee winter snow and ice traction.

In 1999, The U.S. Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tires that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tire which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow. The new standard helps ensure that drivers can easily identify tires that provide a higher level of snow traction.

A mountain / snowflake symbol branded on the tire's sidewall identifies tires that met the required performance in snow testing. The mountain / snowflake symbol was expected to be fully implemented on new tires by now. There are still some winter tires in the marketplace that meet the requirements to display the mountain / snowflake symbol but the molds used to make the tires were produced before the symbol was developed.

Download "Tires Suitable for Use in Severe Snow Conditions" that lists all tires offered by The Tire Rack meeting the above described standard. The document may also be used to meet the state of Oregon's requirements for winter tires and can be presented to authorities when required.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »
some good info on there but be forewarned about those reviews as most are from people that have NO EFFING IDEA about tires or how they work...basically, the dumb, general population of this great country.....real world experience from people who KNOW what they are talking about is best... I know thats why you posted here....its not easy information to come by.....

RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »
that snowplow guy seemed like a guy that knew. one guy was like I didn't balance them and they shook real bad. What a dumb :moon: Yes, that is why I posted here, so I could get a good opinion on some cheaper tires that will probably get used for like 5000 miles in their lifetime, in winter only, probably studded. SO opinions?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »
$90 is too much for that size!  I paid $400 out the door for a set of 31" hercules muds, same as the old cooper muds, a few years back.  They probably went up in price since they have a new tread pattern, but I see no reason why you should be paying $90 a tire for a lower brand.  See if america's tire co can get them, then find a super cheap price and they'll match it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »
its $79 a tire, i can mount and balance myself. I don't think that is too bad. I got my 30x9.5 duelers for $56 a piece mounted and balanced, they were on sale and I have friends at that tire shop. I also get free alignment and balancing for the lifetime of the vehicle. Having connections is pretty awesome!

Wyotechgrad08

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 13
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Jessi Combs prote'ge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
I've had real good luck with Yoko Geolander AT's. Cheap and available everywhere.
I love with JESSI COMBS! I look forward to the day I can work with her, cause I'm THE NEXT BIG THING!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
my mom has those on her tundra, and personally, I don't like them, but thanks for the input!

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »
its hard to compare tire prices to how they were in the past, as petroleum prices skyrocket.....many other products' prices go up as well.
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »
i would go with either the firestones or consider running a set of procomp mts
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:49:43 PM »
I ran the generals on my 4runner, also as an alternative to the BFGs it had on at the time. I also got them for $90 each mounted and balanced. In my opinion they worked just as well as the BFG's, after running the same sizes in the same conditions on the same truck. I'd say go with the generals, I don't think in this case you would be sacrificing performance for cost at all.  :twocents:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:00:26 PM »
I don't have set of the procomps, but, but I have driven a few vehicles in the snow with them and know some people who have run them as a snow tire.  I think they will work very well for what you are going to be using them for.  I liked them when I drove on them and friends liked them in the snow also.  I would buy them if I didn't have an almost brand new set of cooper discoverer M+S tires on my truck, I like these a lot.  Not sure on a price, got them last year, oh yeah I'm running them in a 265/75-15.  I live in Vermont so I see a lot of snow, and I work as an auto tech, I see and get to drive on a lot of different snow tires and the ones with the mountain and snowflake are a better snow tire.  Lots of tires say mud and snow rated but you couldn't pay me to use them on my truck in the summer even.
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:23:31 PM »
I am not so worried about snow, but about ice and packed snow. My bridgestones do fine as long as the snow isn't packed and there is no ice under the snow. The problem is that I drive this truck everyday, and negotiating icy streets and icy highways is dangerous with the dueler MTs. I can get going just fine, but only in 4wd. My last tank of gas (I just filled up about half an hour ago) got 12.4 mpg. I normally get 17-20. I am hoping that by getting these tires I wont have to use as much gas, plus they will be safer. Once the real snow falls (12"+) I will use the bridgestones, because they just work so well in the deep snow. I have only had to chain up once with them, and that was so I could go up the mountain. Anymore input?

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »
Here, I'll give you some unsolicited advice and NOT some phony write-up found on the internet to sell you some crap tires...

I just replaced a set of those POS Duelers with a set of those POS grabbers.  I'll never have another set of either.  I got rid of them and went back to the old reliable BFG ATs.  You can talk price all you want and read as many bogus claims made by ficticious characters as you want but you still can't beat the BFG ATs in snow and ice.  My wife and 5 children are way too important to use some crap wannabe tires on the family SUV.  Oh, and the wife even noticed the difference in quality and I'm sure you already know about them women drivers...

My own rig of course gets INTERCOs!  38.5x14.5x15 SXs to be exact...  Offroad, anything else just sucks.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6