Author Topic: Total Chaos IFS Suspension (or something similar)  (Read 9489 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Total Chaos IFS Suspension (or something similar)
« on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »
just trying to see if anyone here is running the Total Chaos kit or something like it. Its a long travel kit for IFS, just wanted to know whether or not its worth it and wat the price for the kit even is.  this is the kit im looking at: http://www.chaosfab.com/95200.html
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2007, 07:35:11 PM by viperred89 »
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
they are quite expensive, but TC is the top of the line for ifs....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i found a few others too. but TC doesnt list a price for there kits.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i beleive their basic kit is around $2500, then their are upgrades you can add

they are quite expensive but the best in the business.... beware of some of the other so called companies, there are a lot of sub-safe companies out there

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yea those kits are awesome. anybody know how they do when crawlin?

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
Make sure to look at what is NOT included in the kit. coil-over springs, t-100 axles. Those may also get pricey on you. And for the same approximate price, you could probably have a shop do your sas for you.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
shop and SAS would probably be pretty close price wise. coilovers are pretty expensive. i need to find the base price for the Caddy II kit so that i can plan a "budget" of how much it would cost to do. still need coilovers, glass fenders, T-100 axles.

but it would be utter badassness.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
what are you plans for the truck, what kind of driving do you do?

properly setup, onroad, an sas can still be quite nice...

do you run through desert washes @ 70 mph? or do you rockcrawl?

you will receive tons of responses on everything, both can be great, in their own right, both can do fairly well in another realm as well... but build to what you are capable of and for your propsed use of the truck....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
well, theres not to much desert here, but thers not enuf rocks to really use the full potential of an SAS. My thought were that if i got a longer travel IFS system it would be able to handle some lite/moderate crawling and still be fun on all the forest roads. plus ill probably go to college in arizona (UTI,MMI,etc.).

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Unless you plan on bombing around the desert at 60+, the TC kit is prolly more than what you'd want to spend.  Last I checked, their base kit was right around 2K, and that was a while ago, and that is just the bare bones kit, you've still got to scrounge up the other stuff yourself. 

On a side note to the IFS, you don't necessarily have to pay a shop to do the SAS for you, you can have them weld up the front hanger, and the shackle tubes for you (without cutting out the IFS) and then you can do the rest of the stuff (wrenching, cutting/grinding/torching the IFS) yourself.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yea i can get the SAS done without a shop, i think he was just comparing the price of TC to the SAS being done by a shop. i have the resources to get the SAS done, i just like the IFS long travel.

CADD MAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
TC is totally top of the line for IFS, with the caddy kit (gen 1 i believe) my buddys 3rd gen pulled about 13" of clean travel in the front.  He hammered that poor truck we jumped it way big at speeds quite a few times to this day its still holding up and runnin strong.  He wasnt runnin 4wd witht the T-100 axles but the travel would be slightly less if he was like around 12" I think.  I would say that with the kit and coilovers shock hoops and bumps you would be in around 4-5k.  From what I have read though guys that keep the 4wd love it and say it wheels nice in the rocks and trails, and they can bomb in the desert too.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thats wat i needed to know is how much it is to complete the kit with 4x4 and the glass fenders, and the kit.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
this is flex with the basic caddy ball kit. dont know if thet i max or not, but looks like a decent amount of flex

CADD MAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
thats wat i needed to know is how much it is to complete the kit with 4x4 and the glass fenders, and the kit.
I would think you would be in around 4 or 5 thousand for the kit, coil overs, c/o mounts, glass, t-100 axles.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
dam. i expected it to be expensive, but thats a lot.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
TC is totally top of the line for IFS, with the caddy kit (gen 1 i believe) my buddys 3rd gen pulled about 13" of clean travel in the front.  He hammered that poor truck we jumped it way big at speeds quite a few times to this day its still holding up and runnin strong.  He wasnt runnin 4wd witht the T-100 axles but the travel would be slightly less if he was like around 12" I think.  I would say that with the kit and coilovers shock hoops and bumps you would be in around 4-5k.  From what I have read though guys that keep the 4wd love it and say it wheels nice in the rocks and trails, and they can bomb in the desert too.

X2. I have a friend that had this kit on his baja truck and it was a sick kit. We blasted through the whoops and jumped it going 50 mph + and it felt like we were mall crawling it was so smooth. He never used it for crawling because he only had 2WD but it was the smoothest toyota I had ever ridden in at high speeds over washboard roads, dunes and whoops. You are looking at 4-5K with the fenders and t100 axles and other necessary items. If you think you are going to do a lot of heavy abuse, high speed driving this kit is for you. It also works great for 4 wheeling as it offers plenty of wheel travel. It is meant for fast, hard abuse though.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
RokCrawlinToy found me a site where the TC kit is sold, they offer options to complete the kit. as far as i can tell its gonna be $2743.00 plus tax and shipping to completly complete the kit. here is the link to check it out if you want: http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=221&cat=602&page=1

this is without the t100 axles. i would add those in when i needed 4x4. maybe in the winter.
X2. I have a friend that had this kit on his baja truck and it was a sick kit. We blasted through the whoops and jumped it going 50 mph + and it felt like we were mall crawling it was so smooth. He never used it for crawling because he only had 2WD but it was the smoothest toyota I had ever ridden in at high speeds over washboard roads, dunes and whoops. You are looking at 4-5K with the fenders and t100 axles and other necessary items. If you think you are going to do a lot of heavy abuse, high speed driving this kit is for you. It also works great for 4 wheeling as it offers plenty of wheel travel. It is meant for fast, hard abuse though.

which kit did he run ball joint, caddy 2, or caddy 3?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
RokCrawlinToy found me a site where the TC kit is sold, they offer options to complete the kit. as far as i can tell its gonna be $2743.00 plus tax and shipping to completly complete the kit. here is the link to check it out if you want: http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=221&cat=602&page=1

this is without the t100 axles. i would add those in when i needed 4x4. maybe in the winter.
which kit did he run ball joint, caddy 2, or caddy 3?

He ran the first generation caddy kit. It is the forerunner to the current Caddy 2 and Caddy 3 kits. Basicaly the same thing as the Caddy 2 they offer presently.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thats wat i would probabaly run. looks to be about the same.

CADD MAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile

I priced one out on there and it was $3586 or something like that bit it had all the goodies, prerunners are expensive and the little stiff not included will add up as well of the top of my head you will need:

Bumps air, hydro or poly
Limit straps
Glass hood (may as well looks better with the fenders IMO)
Dezeuse fasterners for fenders
T100 axles ( if you go that route but junkyarded they are not bad)

Then with all that front suspension you will quickly want rear, back end will buck something fierce stock with that up front.
So: Deaver springs
double bypass shocks
limit staps
Bumps

Then you should cage it just to be safe!!

I am sure there is more but thats all I can think of for now, like I said before prerunners are expensive, but worth every penny when your mobbin over jumps at 50+mph in the desert. :twocents:

roadcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
i read as much possible on total chaos an what i gathered was they are strong, but they are gonna need a allignment quite often, an it never fully is correct, your alignment is always off. but thats just me an my interpratation of the facts....good luck.

before my 85 died, due to me not it, i did the exact thing a pre runner could do, but my front was so much stronger than a pre runner front, i jumped my truck an baja-ed it at 45mph on single track over rocks an thru ruts, but at the end of the day i could outwheel a pre runner

thats just me

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i would imagine that it is always out of alignment, smashing on that :pokinit: doesnt do good things for it. i like the tundra hood setup, it looks badass. ill try to find a pic.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
pic. with the tundra front clip

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i like the giant motorsports beam kit. it is :boobs: like super mega :boobs:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i found a video on the TC website, it shows an xterra and a 4runner, the 4runner part is all crawling using the TC kit, its the second half of the video. link is : http://www.chaosfab.com/media/video2.html

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
i read as much possible on total chaos an what i gathered was they are strong, but they are gonna need a allignment quite often, an it never fully is correct, your alignment is always off. but thats just me an my interpratation of the facts....good luck.

before my 85 died, due to me not it, i did the exact thing a pre runner could do, but my front was so much stronger than a pre runner front, i jumped my truck an baja-ed it at 45mph on single track over rocks an thru ruts, but at the end of the day i could outwheel a pre runner

thats just me

I agree with the alignment part, if you really beat the crap out of it is going to need a lot of tweaking and of course it will never be quite like stock but the street handling isnt that bad.

I do dissagree though with the solid axle - vs - TC...if I did the things my buddy did with his TC equipped truck....my front end would be jacked. Dont get me wrong I hammered the :pokinit: out of my 4runner before I swapped suspensions but it just aint the same as the TC suspension. The solid front axle with the right suspension set up isnt bad or weak by any means. but if you want to do consistant, smooth and controlable high speed action the TC is far superior to a solid axle. We jumped his truck at Sand Mountain in Nevada a total distance of 25 feet with about 10 feet of air at the highest point off of a sand dune....and hammered down the rest of the day without any breakage except tearing the battery out. I thought the truck was going to explode on impact but it was actually pretty smoth all things considered. I will get the picture one of these days and scan it so you can see just how far high the truck was sailing.

The TC kit cannot be under estimated, it is awesome and if you are going to use it, its well worth the heavy price tag.

roadcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
pic. with the tundra front clip

thats hot