Author Topic: SoCal Fires  (Read 6263 times)

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Fires
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:55:51 PM »
redcross is asking for donations you can help out their by calling. my wife and her mom and sister are headed to the shelter again in a little bit.. i got the kid
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
We got out on Monday afternoon with most of our stuff.  We got lucky that we were planning on moving this weekend anyway, so much of it was already packed.  I've read multiple reports of structure fires in my neighborhood, but haven't heard my actual street name mentioned.

Mike, I did hear about a lot of activity off Live Oak.  Best wishes to your sister and her family.

Donald

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »
we where watching channel 8 CBS news and they routinly have a list scrolling at the bottom of street names and addresses of the houses lost
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:07:54 PM »
We got out on Monday afternoon with most of our stuff.  We got lucky that we were planning on moving this weekend anyway, so much of it was already packed.  I've read multiple reports of structure fires in my neighborhood, but haven't heard my actual street name mentioned.

Mike, I did hear about a lot of activity off Live Oak.  Best wishes to your sister and her family.

Donald
Glad to hear your down safe!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »
Not that I live there anymore but from what I am told by some friends in Canyon Country they had evacuated Sand Canyon (where I used to live) and all of the homes across the street from my old house are gone. There were some pretty exspensive places being built on that side when I moved, they lasted less than a year. From what I understand currently my old place and all of the houses in my tract remain intact, they can still be seen standing up in the hills.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:06:06 PM »
Thanks EarlKann, yes, they live right off of Live Oak Drive, and we just heard back from them and the latest report is that their (my sister and her husband) house did NOT catch on fire! Apparently there are some trees still burning on her block, but there are fighters there containing the area.

I also heard from Marlin this evening that Angelo, our transmission guy, has a sister-in-law (?) in Escondido (east of Carlsbad), and her entire property completely burned to the ground, a 100% total loss.

Also my mother's half-cousin (who I've never met) lives in Dulzura (east of S.D.) and she owned a ranch with horses and some livestock and it completely burned down also. She was not allowed to take any of her animals, and we fear that she lost her horses and the rest. :down:

:down:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »
I took a really bad cell phone picture of the fire coming down the mountain from Running Springs into Highland. This picture is from I-10  at the Ford Street exit in Redlands  looking north towards the San Bernardino Mountains. :sad2:

Edit: The picture was taken at about 6:15 tonight. I would say the flames were about a mile north of the 7 Oaks Dam.

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 10:16:48 PM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »
I can go out front right now and see the fire up in Arrowhead  :shake_head:

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:20:05 PM »
ive been working on the malibu fire the last 2 dys. im in a hotel going to sleep now.  the malibu one is preaty much out!!!!!  my strike team will go to a different fire tommarow.

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:21:26 PM »
another pic from malibu.  ill post more when i get my camera developed. 
 the house in the corner got saved by the way ( we fed there chickens today.  the chickens made it also( we had to fix there pen cuz half of it burned up.)  no casulties on our fire!!! that is the most important thing.

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »
I cant say enough how much I thank you guys for being out their kicking it like that. I have no idea whats its like to be in a fire like that but I'm guessing its close to combat. I lost my house in the cedar fire and I appreciate what you guys do and all that you risk. take it easy while yah can and my salute to you

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »
I'm guessing its close to combat.

I think the same thing. Thankyou for risking it all to save lives and keeping it contained. Many, many thanks from here in the Central Valley for everything you firefighters do! :usa: :bowdown:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:52:22 PM »
  my strike team will go to a different fire tommarow.

all we can say is thank you and be carefull!!!!

mudking82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:29:03 PM »
I live in Big Bear and have been keeping up with the fires in Running Springs and Lake Arrowhead.  Both fires are bad.  As mentioned, lots of homes burned.  Some areas much worse then others.  Green Valley Lake, the west side of Running Springs, the west side of Lake Arrowhead are the hardest hit areas as of the last updates.  There has been quite a bit of activity on Live Oak throughout the afternoon and evening.  Here is a pic I took looking west out of Big Bear today towards the Slide Fire.  Hope the best for anyone affected.

Carter62

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:53:19 AM »
The one report that I have heard that really bothered me was from some grandstanding assemblyman from Orange County complaining about the air support. He went on and on about how Orange County needed more tankers and helicopters and how he had reports that aircraft were sitting on the ground. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
One of the CDF air bases is here in SB. I can tell you Mr. Assemblyman, the CDF base doesn't have anything on the ground. And unlike the OC, we are loosing houses, not just brush near the 241 tollroad.  
Ah yes... T... Spit.turd

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2007, 12:59:53 AM »
Infernal: How is the air quality down there?
Man,the air quality sucks right now.My drive to work has been real crappy the last two days too,the Hwy. I normally take's been shut down and the alternate route has had all traffic lights for about 6 miles all shut down,making me 30 minutes late too work both days,a crap load of fallen trees,street signs and light poles.Sorry to hear about your sister and her Husband,hope everything is well,he works in the same city I live in.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2007, 01:45:46 AM »
I hadn't thought about this, but I should of since it happened in New Orleans...

Some people just have no heart :down:

Those looters should be tied to a tree and allowed to burn

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:31:15 AM »
Just caught up on the incident log from last night.  Nothing new in my area, but some more activity along Live Oak in Mike's sisters area. :shudder:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #48 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »
My brother-n-law just called last night and said they had an emergency EVAC at Camp Pendelton. He works in the armory and said the fire was started on base and caught the whole hill on fire in 20 minutes. $1.5 million dollars in ammunition lost within 1 hour.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #49 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:43:24 AM »
Here is the current fire map

Click here

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Oct 24, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
It seems like the wind shifted today.  :yesnod: Typically that means the onshore winds are not as intense, but it does bring all of the smoke from the west (Malibu, Simi Valley etc) in our direction. :sick: All of the schools and most of the government buildings are closed due to the pollution levels. The onshore wind also brings some humidity that will hopefully help the firefighters. :crossed:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Oct 24, 2007, 06:44:02 PM »
:yikes:  I haven't heard much on it lately.  robrub, :thumbs:  good on you and your crew.  keep up the good work and stay safe :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

84socal

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 888
  • Member since Aug '07
  • freind of johnson valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Oct 24, 2007, 10:01:06 PM »
Hey Mike and everyone.

I read that Dave Cole and family are staying with Zukizzy (aka Wayne) from the board. "Earl Kahn" (aka Donald) just moved out of his house in Running Springs so his family is safe. :)

. :down:

Earthquakes are not the danger in SoCal that people hear of. Fires cause a lot more damage. :thumbdown: 

i though wayne was rotozuk 

anyway heres some pics from space   
http://www.knx1070.com/SoCal-Fires:-View-From-Space/1123480
Lets shoot fireballs at it !!

OH man, we're  gonna get so  busted!!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Oct 24, 2007, 10:26:42 PM »
ive been working on the malibu fire the last 2 dys. im in a hotel going to sleep now.  the malibu one is preaty much out!!!!!  my strike team will go to a different fire tommarow.

Good man! Thanks for being a lifesaver. You guys really are heroes. My uncle and his unit from the Humbolt County CDF are down there right now with ya. Keep up the awesome work man!  :biggthumpup: :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:01:57 AM »
i though wayne was rotozuk 

anyway heres some pics from space  
http://www.knx1070.com/SoCal-Fires:-View-From-Space/1123480

FYI, both are named Wayne.

I got a call from Dave Cole yesterday.  He went up the mountain with the emergency response team from his work to check on the communications tower equipment.  He called me from my driveway and said that all was well.  He was going to check on his own house too, but all reports were that no homes were lost there either.

Fire is still burning with 0% containment though.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:46:11 AM »
I heard this morning that one of the SB Mountain fires is 40% contained but the other is 0%.  The smoke doesn't seem as bad today and there is no wind to speak of here in San Bernardino. It's still very smokey, the only improvement today is the ash isn't falling from the sky. The latetest estimates have over 1,300 homes in SoCal lost to the fires. :shudder:

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »
Much of the activity on the Slide fire last night and this morning seems to be on the east side of town.  The wind has changed and it actually made the fire circle around to attack from the other direction.  FYI, I'm kinda in the middle, and BigMike's sister is more on the west side where the fire activity has already occured.

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
six guys in my fire classes got dispatched a few days ago... from way up north in butte county...glad to hear the FF's are safe and sorry for all that lost their houses. thats never good no matter what the situation is. the winds are ridiclous.

this is a fire website my dad gave me...it has a :pokinit: ton of info on the fires in cali...they go by fire names, its though to navigate if you dont understand the lingo

http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »
heres another relly good one

http://calfire.blogspot.com/

so far there has been 461,857 acres burned     :thumbdown:

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Oct 25, 2007, 04:52:13 PM »
Hey guys, I live in East County San Diego (Santee) and the smoke is pretty bad down here, but not nearly as bad as it was on Tuesday.  On Tuesday, I had to go up to Irvine for Toyota training for a few days and as I fought the smoke going up I-5 in the morning, it cleared up just north of Oceanside in Camp Pendleton.  As I looked in my rearview mirror heading north, it looked like the world was ending - then I noticed the smoke up ahead from the Orange County fires.  At that time, there was no fire in Camp Pendleton, but when I came back to San Diego today, I could see where they put out a massive fire, right next to I-5 and were still fighting a couple more on base.  It looks like most people that were evacuated were able to return home today - if they had a home.....  The residents of Ramona are pissed cause the fire has already burned through there area, water is back on and now they have a road block manned by the National Guard keeping residents out after some cars ran the previous road block by the police.  Nobody is sure why people are being kept out, but most people are blaming the water provider up in Ramona cause they've lied to people before.  Be watching for a investigation on this - someone's ass will catch hell........ :smack:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"