Author Topic: The Tuki Suzuki - Toyota drivetrain, Samurai body  (Read 333324 times)

4RnrRick

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
I also got the door hinges modified for quick release doors. Pretty much a standard issue mod for a Sami.

GrenadedToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Maatt Daeemon
    • View Profile
I also got the door hinges modified for quick release doors. Pretty much a standard issue mod for a Sami.

my buddy did this mod. works well.

i cant wait to see this thing done. lookin good so far. :biggthumpup:

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Now that I'm getting closer in getting the toyota stripped down and put back together with stock parts, I've been thinking about the Tuki build more and more lately. Mainly because I'm just about ready to start working on it again.

I think what I'm shooting for will be a mix of:

"BlueBalls" old tin top http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/blueballs2u/
and
Trail-Toughs latest build http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598703&highlight=trailtough.

Those two builds have been the biggest inspiration for me so far for what I would like mine to look like when finished.

That got me to thinking about the actual hieght I would like to design it to. as most of you guys know - I like my rigs pretty low.. I'm thinking about a ~21" belly hieght which will make it almost the same hieght as a standard spring over sami running 31's based on my measurements and sketches. That will be nice! For wheelbase, I'm now thinking about 106" to 108", but still not sure.

Heres a sketch that I did comparing hieghts based on some side view photos I took...

Photo Link: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/4RnrRick/Tuki/sideprofile.gif

Also the other thing that I have been thinking about alot is the headlights and grill. My first thought was to install some junkyard project beam headlights from a newer car / truck. But then I thought about coping the forumla toy flame grill offered my Hendrix Motorsports, but now I'm thinking about just making my own. Maybe something like this.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
21" isn't bad, I'm at 24" with 106"WB and I don't hit bottom much. I'm with you on the low as possible theory.
I'd hold off on the grill and focus on getting the thing put together before you sell it and start your full tube buggy. :greengrin:

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Its just thats how my mind works at times.... completely random things like "grills" pop into my head so I start thinking about it.

Quasi is around 22" with 36"s at street pressure and 111" WB and seems to work good. but I would like the sami to be a bit shorter and lower...

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Well I ordered some more stuff today....

I decided that I like the stock sami 7" round headlight buckets enough that I'm going to reuse them on the tube front clip. Especially due to the fact on how simple it would be to mount them.

So looking around on Ebay I ordered some Glass H6024 H4 head conversions lenses and a inexpensive H4 4300K HID conversion kit (includes harness, bulbs, ballast). I haven't used a HID kit before, but I hear they work pretty darn good. I know the headlight conversion lenses with just basic h4 bulbs really are a improvement over your basic halogen sealed beam headlights.

What can I say - I hate sucky headlights.

Motorvated

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
PLEASE post back on how those hids turn out....im very interested.  thats wicked cheap

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Will do. If the components burn out - I figure I will just buy some brand name ones...

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
This thing looks like it's gonna be sweet! I love toy axled Sammis!
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
DUDEEE!! this is guna be :boobs:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Yesterday I started trying to mock up the motor location. I decided that I'm going to need to mount the engine about 1/2" off centerline to give me some clearance on the brake master cylinder and reservior. Also for now my current York OBA mount is not going to work, its too low. I'll figure that one out later...

And I've decided to cut the frame rails off and make new higher ones. Which means all the previous grinding on cleaning up these frame rails was pointless..... But I need to go buy some steel to do that.

Oh and I also ordered up some 39.5 Iroks and Mickey Thompson 15x10 classic locks. Yes, they are "worthless steetlocks". But I've had great success with keeping my old 36" iroks on 15x10 steel rims with no beadlocks and I decided to try it again - but this time I'm going to a lighter aluminum wheel. But in doing that I also wanted a wheel that had some rim protection for the outer bead and something to protect the valve core. and with these MT classic locks - I can ubolt the outer ring and make a new one if need be. If I issues lossing beads, my plan is just to install some Staun internal locks.

Not to mention with www.4wheelparts.com current 10% off & free shipping on wheels and tires - it was hard not to buy them...
I'm getting the tires for $242.09 ea. and the rims for $152.34 ea = Total of $1,576.72 to my door! And then when I get them, I'm heading directly up to Americas Tire to buy the "road hazard" certificates on them!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
did i miss it? what engine is that?

that think is going to be sick
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
That is a good deal on the 39s. I paid $25 per tire more from 4WP a few months ago. :lipsrsealed: When you get a chance, list Quasimoto in the for sale section here. ;)

The build looks great. :)
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Motor is a 2000 2.7L 3rz
Bellhousing is Marlins 3rz to R series
Tranny is a short R150 (3.0 v6 tranny)
AA v6 Tcase adapter
T-cases are top shift 23 total-spline billet 10 degree duals (2.28 X 4.70) with chromo output.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
BADASS!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Got my old dual cases tore down and installed a chromo T-case output .....

I also cut the front of the frame off the sami...

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Lookin good :thumbs:  How's the little mazda coming along?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Samurai frame rails measure about 50mm x 100mm x 2.5mm wall thickness (or approx 2" x 4" x 0.100" wall) so I choose to go with 2" x 4" x 0.125" wall for the frame new pieces. And I made them extra long because I don't know what I'm doing up front yet design wise, and this way I can just cut them off when I get to that point.

Then I added some 3/16" renforcement plates on the inside of the frame rails to cover the joint and I made them long enough to be used for the new motor mounts.

People always seem to me ask me what welder I use, so I figured I would just tell you now - its just the base model 110 Volt Lincoln with a Mig bottle kit. I use 0.023 solid wire and 75/25 gas mix. seems to work good for me......

Heres the 3rz motor all mounted up... Hopefully I got it right, but thats why its only tacked into place.

Motor Mounts are made from some 3/16 flar bar, an old Rancho Lower control arm off a XJ and some pre cut 1/4" suspension tabs.

The motor is mounted 1/2" off center toward the passenger side trying to maximize the room between the intake plenum and brake master.

And the tranny bellhousing mating surface is about 3" forward of the firewall.

From the pictures you can see the Plenum is actualy touching the reservior of the Subaru Brake Master Cylinder - my plan to fix that is to rotate the whole master cylinder 15 degrees with a adapter mounted between the booster and master cylinder or just make a custom reservior. I haven't decided which yet.

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
How's the little mazda coming along?

Its not mine, its the kids down the street that I was help w/ the fab work - he still plans to finish off the bed and paint it, but my part is done.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
hey rick, just a suggestion- the forester clutch and brake master cylender are equal in power output, and every other aspect, but have smaller resivoirs  :thumbs:

but they must be off a turbo forester, the resivoirs are smaller to allow room for the intercooler on those cars.

you can find these on legacycentral.org, or usmb, i know your a member there

looks good buddy!

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
Thanks Dan - I'll have to look into that.....

{EDIT}

Do they look like this, with a square reservior?

If so, I have two buddies with those and they will still interfere because the reservior is still too wide and the low level switch plug is also on the wrong side of the master cylinder.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2007, 11:21:37 PM by 4RnrRick »

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
How much did you pay for the HID conversion? And do you recall if they had it for the Toyota style square lights?

Cool build BTW. Ive been watching it on both here and pirate. Actually I think ive watched most of your builds. Theyre all cool.  :thumbs:
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
How much did you pay for the HID conversion? And do you recall if they had it for the Toyota style square lights?

Cool build BTW. Ive been watching it on both here and pirate. Actually I think ive watched most of your builds. Theyre all cool.  :thumbs:
The toyota style square light (H6054) is the same pattern as an H4.

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
H4666 & H4656  = 4" x 6" Rectangle
H6054 = 7" x 6" Rectangle = Toyota
H6024 = 7" round = Sami

Search Ebay for prices......

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
look at this clutch MC, it is a full 1 1/4 inches shorter the a regular one, dont know if your concerned with the clutch, but there ya go

and if you look at this brake MC, you can see that rather the having a full diameter cup from top to bottom, it is ruduced at the top, right about where you are interfering

also, as you probably know-aisin makes MC for subaru, toyota, suzuki, kia, ect
if that doesnt work maybe walk around a wrecking yard and remove MC cups till you find one that suits you!

good luck

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
rick, its looking really good.
and is there anyway of moving the whole brake booster and MC over an inch?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
Good looking build up
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
look at this clutch MC, it is a full 1 1/4 inches shorter the a regular one, dont know if your concerned with the clutch, but there ya go

and if you look at this brake MC, you can see that rather the having a full diameter cup from top to bottom, it is ruduced at the top, right about where you are interfering

also, as you probably know-aisin makes MC for subaru, toyota, suzuki, kia, ect
if that doesnt work maybe walk around a wrecking yard and remove MC cups till you find one that suits you!

good luck

Clutch MC isn't an issue - I'm just using the matching Toyota one for the tranny.

That one you show has the outlet ports on the wrong side, but thanks for showing me thats reservior. I'll keep it in mind.

4RnrRick [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
rick, its looking really good.
and is there anyway of moving the whole brake booster and MC over an inch?

Anything is possible, just looking for the best and cleanest solution. I'm still in mock up stages, so its not like I'm locked into this.