Author Topic: What do you torque your U-bolts to?  (Read 7212 times)

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
What do you torque your U-bolts to?
« on: Oct 06, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
I just put in a few new U-bolts because I tweaked one and I also went out and dropped some cash on a sweet craftsman torque wrench. I been searching around and found several different numbers. Factory says to goto 90 but figured it was different with a flip kit. I used to just crank the crap out of them with my breaker bar but I'm thinking that has something to do with my tweaked one.. :hammerhead:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: What do you torque your U-bolts to?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2007, 05:48:19 PM »
90 ft lbs...do NOT over torque them! every time you over-torque a ubolt it stretches and weakens it
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

UKMyers [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2007, 09:15:01 PM »
Live and learn... thanks for the info!!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »
You can also tweak the housing, especially the rear. Speaking from experience!!!!!! :hammer:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:01:38 PM »
 :hammer: I didn't know you had to torque them. Ooops I just go as tight as i can guess i need a torque wrench.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:13:37 AM »
yeah i'd say the average guy with a 1/2 drive ratchet would bring the torque up to around 100 ft lbs. and star torque way past that...  so yeah a torque wrench is good.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »
I torque mine to my springs.

at 90, just like the book says.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Gotta love Craftsman.  :)  Sure, their wrenches break easily, but go back to Osh, play dumb, and presto - replacement!  Much easier than dealing with the buttheads at Sears.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Gotta love Craftsman.  :)  Sure, their wrenches break easily, but go back to Osh, play dumb, and presto - replacement!  Much easier than dealing with the buttheads at Sears.

Craftsman torque wrenches are not covered in the "free replacement if it breaks". Speaking from experence again.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »
guess i need a torque wrench.
what do you use to torque your steering arm nuts?

Craftsman torque wrenches are not covered in the "free replacement if it breaks". Speaking from experence again.
:rofl: u sound like me! learn everything the hard way! hehe
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:06:23 PM »
I've got a couple craftsman torque wrench's I've had for over 15 years , still work perfect,. also have one that's abused at the shop... hasn't broke yet.. got a snap on torque wrench there too... have to beg the snap on dude to calibrate it.. and it still clicks way high.. plus we get charged for calibration. craftsman are fine just use them as a torque wrench and don't exceed the 80 percent mark to keep them in cal.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
don't exceed the 80 percent mark to keep them in cal.
what do you mean by that?
RIP KYOTA

H8Mud

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2007, 02:12:02 AM »

i just recently exchanged a 3/8's drive torque wrench through sears, it seemed out of calibration, so i went in and told them it skipped ratchets under load, and viola new torque wrench!

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2007, 05:11:51 AM »
when using a torque wrench normally it is considered accurate in the 20 to 80 percent range.  example would be, to use a 100 ft lb torque wrench from minimum 20 ft lbs to a maximum of 80 ft lbs would be with in range for that wrench. if you were going to torque to 90ft lbs, you should use a 150 or 250 ft lbs torque wrench.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2007, 08:14:38 AM »
i just recently exchanged a 3/8's drive torque wrench through sears, it seemed out of calibration, so i went in and told them it skipped ratchets under load, and viola new torque wrench!
You got Lucky!!!!

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2007, 08:28:28 AM »
Nah, that's the infamous "Bubba Move".   "I don't know - it just doesn't work right" or "It slips" or whatever - slightly vague but simple explainations with no appearance that you understand what's going on(or very slightly/newbie level understanding).  Also works well at Frys or other places when you have to make a return.

Osh is better because they are a reseller.  So for them, it's not worth their time to deal with it.  Stick it in the returns bin to be shipped off at the end of the month to Sears.  DEal with the next customer.  They 99% of the time handle it like any other defective product(barring obvious things like snapped in half or half melted/etc).   

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »
Nah, that's the infamous "Bubba Move".   "I don't know - it just doesn't work right" or "It slips" or whatever - slightly vague but simple explainations with no appearance that you understand what's going on(or very slightly/newbie level understanding).  Also works well at Frys or other places when you have to make a return.

Osh is better because they are a reseller.  So for them, it's not worth their time to deal with it.  Stick it in the returns bin to be shipped off at the end of the month to Sears.  DEal with the next customer.  They 99% of the time handle it like any other defective product(barring obvious things like snapped in half or half melted/etc).  
I think you are getting a half baked employee that just don't care.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2007, 09:27:10 AM »
Well, it works :)   Truth is, the part that breaks 95% of the time with tooks is anything with bearings or moveable parts in it(the drivers mostly).  So they tend to see a lot of them.  Shrug their shoulders, since it's not their company's product.

jrock

• Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
What is your favorite troque wrench? I hear Craftsman and Snap On. What about Husky from Home Depo?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:21:09 PM »
What is your favorite troque wrench? I hear Craftsman and Snap On. What about Husky from Home Depo?
thats what i have its worked fine for the past year..though i would really like to have a craftsman
RIP KYOTA

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:25:28 PM »
I got a MAC that I really like and unlike the Craftsman I had before no plastic on it to break, or strip out.

jrock

• Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
MACs are expensive, damn. But they do look good. My next choice would be Husky. How easy and accurate are they to use?

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:01:16 PM »
I use my dad's Snap-on torque wrenches. They work very well, nice and smooth. Accurate as well. Snap-on is definitely the best I have used.