Author Topic: Diesel Tuners and air intakes  (Read 4022 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Diesel Tuners and air intakes
« on: Oct 02, 2007, 08:12:19 PM »
Guys,

Was wondering what mods you've done to your diesels?  What kind of tuners do you have? intakes?  :dunno:  What would you recommend? 

I've been looking around, and have had both the banks kit and the edge kit recommended to me.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel Tuners and air intakes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2007, 08:19:17 PM »
Why dont you search you newbie....

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
Just kiddin Jason

:thumbs:

Sorry but that was a prefect opportunity and i wanted to do it for some reason and saw this post. Umm pretty much i cant help you on what youre looking for but I did do a good job of getting :offtopic: and it only took one post. woot go me!
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2007, 08:31:23 PM »
jason,
the one thing about banks is that they are very expensive for what they do.  they have good products, but they essentially acheive the same results as the edge for for alot more money.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/ is a diesel website for fords

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »
Why dont you search you newbie....

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

I did! :fakeflip:

:hahaha:

Thanks for all the non-help :thumbs:

jason,
the one thing about banks is that they are very expensive for what they do.  they have good products, but they essentially acheive the same results as the edge for for alot more money.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/ is a diesel website for fords

Thats kind of what I'm seeing.  A thing I do like about it is if the banks unit senses a problem, its got some safeguards to back of the tuner and so forth.  The more I read about the edge, its got some of the same stuff though, so :dunno:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
www.powerstroke.org is a good forum for fords also.

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:23:06 AM »
I have a K&N filter with I believe a AFM intake.  I run the TST power max and a quadzilla commander.  The commander will automatically defuel the engine at pre determined settings there is no harm done to the engine.  For example my EGT alert is set at 1300 and the commander will automatically defuel the engine at 1325.  You can set alerts for EGT BOOST, FUEL PRESSURE, and others up to 7 parameters.  I would highly reccomend the commander for monitor/safeguard for your box modded diesel. 

My brother n law runs banks stage 3 kit on his 2000 7.3 and loves it the only thing he complained about is the $$$$ it cost him.

Hope it helps some
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2007, 10:18:02 PM »
the edge juice will also defuel the motor at a what ever egt you want too.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »
the edge juice will also defuel the motor at a what ever egt you want too.

Really?  I didn't know that.  Good info.  I'm actually looking toward the edge right now, simply due to price, and comparable preformance to banks :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:58:40 AM »
you can also stack boxes like the smarty with a fuel box etc.  Check around for prices and features and go with what you like.  I went with the quadzilla because I already had the TST and wanted the safety features more than anything else.  I know I could have went several other ways but that is the good thing about our trucks we can do it the way we want the only ones we need to make happy is ourselves.

Good luck you will be impressed with the difference how ever you go.
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »
Im running the Edge Juice with Attitude, Banks Monster exhaust from the turbo out, Air raid intake. Using a Wicked Wheel compressor wheel to get rid of turbo surge. The Edge does defuel, showing a percentage of backdown on the display. Im still throwing codes for excessive EGT's when set above towing level, and waste gate failure :smack:. Gonna get an aftermarket wastegate and thinking about an aftermarket intercooler... '02 F350
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »
Im running the Edge Juice with Attitude, Banks Monster exhaust from the turbo out, Air raid intake. Using a Wicked Wheel compressor wheel to get rid of turbo surge. The Edge does defuel, showing a percentage of backdown on the display. Im still throwing codes for excessive EGT's when set above towing level, and waste gate failure :smack:. Gonna get an aftermarket wastegate and thinking about an aftermarket intercooler... '02 F350

So are you happy with the edge overall?  Or are you wishing you'd gone with something else.  What kind of gains have you noticed? 

-Ronald Reagan

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2007, 09:32:20 PM »
I know some really good results are seen dyno tuning. We did it on our 8.1l HD and wow. They also do the trans while they are in there.

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2007, 04:40:29 PM »
So are you happy with the edge overall?  Or are you wishing you'd gone with something else.  What kind of gains have you noticed? 

Im very happy with the Edge, I cant use the potential of my set up cause of EGT's making me back off the go peddle. I gotta do something to drop the temps, then look out!
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »
Had the banks 6gun hooked up then it glitched and tore up some injectors not really sure why
but it did run pretty good 03 7.3. Know some other peoples had same issues with brand new
trucks by by warranty. :burnout:

85xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
You can get a free temp Bully Dog download at most Bully Dog dealers.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2007, 09:48:46 PM »
Just picked up a Bully dog 6 position chip and a K&N air filter.  I've got a buddy who runs a similar set up, and he loves it.  I did some research, and it seems that for the price, bully dog is a good buy, their preformance claims are pretty accurate, and their customer service is great.   :thumbs:  Now I just need to get a 4" exhaust and some guages, and install it all :woohoo:

-Ronald Reagan

rbrduck71

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
AFE airbox best bang 4 buck.....EDGE evolution,or juice with attitude.....4in aluminized pipe is cheapest....no cat or muffler, thats dead weight..... then a bigger turbo....this is a dependable combo that with common sense will last you fo ever.  THE END

zorack86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2007, 09:47:50 PM »
Edge is the only way to as far as programers go. Stay away from Bullydog we put one in a custormers truck two weeks later he was putting a motor in it. AFE intakes are a very good choice. Exhaust all seem to be the same pretty much all the muflers are striaght through, but they all make a little different sound. By the way what year make and model truck are playing with. 
86 4runner 5" sas kit dual cases with 4.7's.Also a hi pinion in the frnt w/arb and a v6 housing in the rear w/arb and 529's on 36-14.50-15 radial tsl's. also 75 chevy locked up front and rear with an arb,5.43's in a 9in and 5.38's up in a44 on 39.5 tsl's

4xJedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »
So far all I've done is the 6637 intake mod.  Next is 4" Magnaflow SS exhaust, guages, then a DP Tuner chip.  Here's my intake, can't beat it for $36.00 shipped.  And yeah you can hear the turbo sing a little louder  :biggthumpup:.

'86 4Runner, 4"SAS, 5.29's, 30 spline Longs, locked frt/rr, dual cases w/4.7's, Twinstick, LCE header, K&N, Engnbldr cam, Can-Back, Armor by me.

'97 4Runner
'00 Excursion PowerStroke

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:51:52 PM »
Just get yerself a pod gauge set up on your a pillar with Exhaust Gas Temperature and Boost gauges. The biggest thing to watch is your EGT's as excessive temps will melt your pistons down and eat your turbo.

zorack86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:11:51 PM »
More turbo damage than piston damage. Turbo will have a melt down over long periods of high egt's.
86 4runner 5" sas kit dual cases with 4.7's.Also a hi pinion in the frnt w/arb and a v6 housing in the rear w/arb and 529's on 36-14.50-15 radial tsl's. also 75 chevy locked up front and rear with an arb,5.43's in a 9in and 5.38's up in a44 on 39.5 tsl's

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:34:05 AM »
Yeah, and watch your EGT's before shutting it off, letting it cool down to around 350 or so before you switch it off, will help your turbo to see another day