Author Topic: I bought my first crawler project this weekend!  (Read 10142 times)

HARJOMOTORSPORTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
I bought my first crawler project this weekend!
« on: Sep 24, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
Told ya it wouldn't take long! 

Hopefully I'll have some better pix this week:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/HARJOMOTORSPORTS/ATT273359.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/HARJOMOTORSPORTS/ATT273343.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/HARJOMOTORSPORTS/ATT273346.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/HARJOMOTORSPORTS/ATT273345.jpg

P.S. That's not my garage! 

It's an early 80's Toyo with 36" swampers, 2" backspace steel wheels, big lift springs, Full width axles (I've since learned it's got Corp 14 rear and Dana 44 front), setup for small block Chevy.

Once I clean the years of cat hair and dust off this thing, I'll get cracking on making a flatbed and mounting up the goods.  From my desert racing days I already have a ton of stuff like seats, fuel cell, fox shocks, autometer gauges, hi-lift jacks, etc.

I'm going to go with a 350 cid / TH400 or 700R4 / NP203 mated to NP205

Build up should go fairly quick, hunting season is coming and I need to get this this on the road before then!

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2007, 04:19:01 PM by HARJOMOTORSPORTS »
Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile

there ya go

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
How'd you get them pictures to post like that??? I'm not too familiar with forum posting.
Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
its a very technical process.   :rofl2:

when you post, look under MESSAGE ICON: 2nd row below, 2nd button in. is the IMG button. Click that and insert your link in between [img ]http://your link here[ /img]

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile

when you post, look under MESSAGE ICON: 2nd row below, 2nd button in. is the IMG button. Click that and insert your link in between [img ]http://your link here[ /img]

Ha!  I suck  :(
Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile

Exactly what I was going to say :ack:

One other item, try to keep your build up in one thread. It is easier for us to follow along. :therethere:

You had mentioned in your other thread looking for a set of Rockwells to replace your Dana 60s.  :dunno: I would suggest hanging on to the 60s. For what you are running they are more than enough. :twocents:

You had also mentioned that you found a propane system that allow you to run gas and pane. What is the name of the company (or a link) with the product?  8)

JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
I'm having a heck of a time keeping track of how the forums works... sorry about the double posting.

Here's the link for the website:
http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html

I think I'm going to go with the duel fuel setup near the bottom.
Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
The "duel fuel" kit looks good.  :thumbs: I like the idea that if you run out of propane (for example on the trail), you can run gas. :yesnod:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
with the tranny options did you mean th400 and 700r4? i've never heard of the 70064 being a gm guy (i'm guessing a typo happened).

how much power are you looking to put to the ground? the 700r4 can be built to survive quite alot of power reliably, but at its max it can stand just a little bit more than the th400 could stock. if high power is what your aiming for (say 400ft/lbs of torque or more) then i would go with the th400 and add an overdrive unit from either advance adapters or ranger if you want it, or go with a 4l80e with a stand alone computer (or a computer for both the motor and the tranny like what comes in the 90's era gm vehicles).

if you went with a manual tranny then either an sm465 or an nv4500 would be the best options.

what drivetrain you go with depends on what your plans are for the vehicle. will it be a daily driver that will see highway speeds? will it be trails/rocks only? will it see baja type offroad? will it need to do all of these or a combination of these?

if it wont be driven on the highway than a tranny without overdrive would be just fine. cheaper, fewer things to go wrong. th400 auto or sm465 manual.

if it will be a daily driver or will see baja type offroad, an overdrive would be a good idea (or if it does everything). 4L80e or nv4500 would be the ideal choices here, or a th400 or sm465 with an overdrive added, then finally a 700r4.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
with the tranny options did you mean th400 and 700r4? i've never heard of the 70064 being a gm guy (i'm guessing a typo happened).

how much power are you looking to put to the ground? the 700r4 can be built to survive quite alot of power reliably, but at its max it can stand just a little bit more than the th400 could stock. if high power is what your aiming for (say 400ft/lbs of torque or more) then i would go with the th400 and add an overdrive unit from either advance adapters or ranger if you want it, or go with a 4l80e with a stand alone computer (or a computer for both the motor and the tranny like what comes in the 90's era gm vehicles).

if you went with a manual tranny then either an sm465 or an nv4500 would be the best options.

what drivetrain you go with depends on what your plans are for the vehicle. will it be a daily driver that will see highway speeds? will it be trails/rocks only? will it see baja type offroad? will it need to do all of these or a combination of these?

if it wont be driven on the highway than a tranny without overdrive would be just fine. cheaper, fewer things to go wrong. th400 auto or sm465 manual.

if it will be a daily driver or will see baja type offroad, an overdrive would be a good idea (or if it does everything). 4L80e or nv4500 would be the ideal choices here, or a th400 or sm465 with an overdrive added, then finally a 700r4.

Hey Red,

Apparently my brain and fingers aren't on the same page today... 700r4 is what I meant to type.

I don't think I'm going to go crazy with HP and torque ratings, I'd just like to be able to have enough umph to strap other trucks or pull a small hunting trailer when need be.

I'm not going to have the truck as a daily driver per se, but I will need to make it capable of being driven across the state.  My father and I are chukar hunters, which takes us all over NV and the western states.  I'd like to not have to use a tow rig just to get my hunting/crawling rig to where I'm going.  The truck probably won't be seeing any desert racing speeds, although some can dream right? :)

I'd still considering an electronic fuel injection and the 4L80e, although that might provide more things to go wrong that are harder to fix on the trail... maybe that's just me.

Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
looks like 14 bolt rear and 44 front

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
X2 and why is the rear end shifted over to the left by about 6-7 inches?  :yikes: :dunno: Or is it the pic? or me?

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
X2 and why is the rear end shifted over to the left by about 6-7 inches?  :yikes: :dunno: Or is it the pic? or me?
rear:

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile

Might be different axles than what I'd thought.  I'm not too knowledgeable on straight axle stuff.  I've always known a-arm front and IRS rears from desert racing.  I still have lots to learn.

When I bought the truck last weekend and put it on the trailer I found out that the spring perches weren't welded on the rear axle and the u-bolts weren't all that tight... glad I strapped the body and chained the axles.  They shifted some when trailering.  When the axle is centered the inside of the tire is nearly all the way outside of the body.  Might not be legal for the road, I'll have to find out what the NV laws are.  I think that picture is a bit skewed, took it on my cell phone.

I'll post more pics after I take them tonight, might need a bit of help and suggestion... or a lot.
Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
If the front is a 44, don't try to build it up. :sheerterror: Find a 60 quick. :twocents:

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
what the heck happened to that axle..  drop it off a cliff, then strike it with an a-bomb?
Jeep

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
 :eye:  :eye:    lookin good

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Nice! now get goin :whip:

:gap:

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
what the heck happened to that axle..  drop it off a cliff, then strike it with an a-bomb?

x2

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Jeezus!  That's some serious breakage.  To prevent that and use what I have (Dana 44 front & 14 bolt rear) for the time being, do you think it's worth my time to truss the front and rear like this?  I planned on linking the truck at some point, using some huge heims that I have.

Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
The short answer is no, don't build the 44. :shake: The 14 bolt should be OK for now. :dunno:

The picture I posted is from Zukizzy's comp Jeep. He is running a straight 6, auto trans, to atlas t-case as the drivetrain. Dana 44 front and 60 rear. He beats it (its a comp rig) but I don't believe he has ever broken anything in the 60. The 44 breaks almost every time he goes out. He is building a 60 front for it now. :clap2:

Your 350 and drivetrain should deliver more torque than the Jeep. In fact, a lot of people argue that a built Toyota axle (30 spline Longfields etc) is stronger than a 44. Bottom line, don't waste your $ on the 44. :twocents:

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Looks like I'll be scouting for a Dana 60 this week!
Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
thats crazy...does Zukizzy rock race?

if thats what its called

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
thats crazy...does Zukizzy rock race?

if thats what its called
No, WeRock and ProRock. Here is a picture (or 2) from this past weekend. 8)

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
that cool. sounds like fun

ive been pass on a rock race out of the con before...it was really fun, made it from lil sluice out in about an  hour and half if i rember right... it was crazy

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
just leave that 14bolt back there alone. no need to truss it. it will laugh at most anything you throw at it.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Hey everyone,

Got the truck moved to my friend Dino's house this week.  He was kind enough to let me store the truck there for a week or so until I can sell my 1968 Chevelle project and free up some space at my house.  Dino must have gotten bored at one point, because he decided to hang the doors.  I'm gonna owe him big time!

I also found out that one of my close friends has a relative that works at Driveline and Gear Services of Reno.  I'm going to put a call into him today to see if he can track me down a Dana 60 for the front.

I took a couple more pictures of the truck from my cell phone, although they're not the best.  The middle picture you might be able to lift my finger print if identity theft is your thing! :hammerhead:

Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
Why are you going to flatbed it? The bed is in good condition! Looks like you need bigger tires! Sweet truck nontheless.
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
That 14 bolt should be pretty much bulletproof. Lower it and put some bigger tires under it. Looks good though.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

HARJOMOTORSPORTS [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
That 14 bolt should be pretty much bulletproof. Lower it and put some bigger tires under it. Looks good though.

Hey steve,

I'm going to try to aquire a trans and t-case (at least 1 for now) this weekend.  Since it has the SBC engine mounts I figured I'd test fit everything and see if the weight brings the nose down a bit.  I'm also planning to move up in tire size.  I'll sell these wheels and tires so I can buy the 37x12.50R17LT IROK's that I like.  I already have 2 sets of Hummer H2 wheels (17"x8.5") that I wanted to fit with IROK's and a set of hard compound BFG Baja terrains for street use.

We'll see when the time comes though :)

Scott Harjo
HARJO MOTORSPORTS