Author Topic: CV boot replacement???  (Read 3194 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
CV boot replacement???
« on: Aug 28, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
My wife just told me that there was something black comming from under the front driver's side tire..... well i look and there it is.. a blown CV boot.... now i need to replace it and i don't know how or where to get a new one.. or even where to start for that fact.

So, where do i get my replacement CV Boot??? and how do i do it????

military_stang
:respect:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: CV boot replacement???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2007, 09:24:51 AM »
i would jsut replace the whole axle.... some people have good luck with replacing the boot, and some dont... the only way to be sure that joint has proper grease and isnt contaminated is to replace the whole unit... once the boot tears, there is no way to tell if any damage was done being run low on grease, or contaminants entering it.

if you still wnat to replace it, they are fairly cheap.. they come with a clamp similar to a hose clamp, but it is a 1 time use clamp, like a band clamp, and a pouch of grease -- are availalbe at any local parts store
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »
Cool, thanks Jimbo... i had the idea that it would be better to replace the whole thing, because i wouldn't want to be running down the road and have it fall apart on me.

But again, it's only been a few days since it ripped and i have only drove it a few time's.... so i guess we will see when i tear it apart to replace some stuff

military_stang
:respect:

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

LotOMiles

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:59:51 AM »
I have done mine. It's not hard and if you have not driven in any water or mud, chances are the CV joint is OK.

Toyota sells a boot kit that has everything you need to do one side, including boots, clamps, and the two different types of grease you will need.
The service manual will tell you what type of grease goes where and how to change the boots.

I used a bucket of kerosene and swished the joints around it into clean the old grease out. It took a long time as you can't disassemble the wheel side CV joint. But I got them all cleaned out, then repacked with the new grease. No problems and cheaper then new joints. Just follow the instructions in the service manual. 

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »
My evil trick to get them clean?

Get an old water pik.  A few heavy towels to catch the spray/wrap it in and blast the joints squeaky clean.  The idea that you have to replace perfectly good joints when they aren't stripped/worn always seemed to me like a cop-out.  The water pik's diaphragm will eat itself from the solvent(though not initially) most likely, so this is the reason you use an old one.

edit - I suppose something like Simple Green might work as well, and not eat the diaphragm, but probably would be even slower than kerosene.  (oh - new they run about $35 - tons cheaper than new axles)
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 01:22:29 PM by Plekto »

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:59:39 PM »
i would jsut replace the whole axle.... some people have good luck with replacing the boot, and some dont... the only way to be sure that joint has proper grease and isnt contaminated is to replace the whole unit... once the boot tears, there is no way to tell if any damage was done being run low on grease, or contaminants entering it

Axles are cheap - $50-$70 after core charge refund - from Autozone, Advance, etc. with a lifetime warranty. I use the ones from Autozone, and haven't had any issues. A buddy just got some from Advance, and they look better ...
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »
Just make sure it's not from China.

A little fact that most people don't know is that while China can make high grade steel as well as most countries, all of it goes to their military and major construction projects.  Most of the replacement parts and so on and consumer goods - recycled or second grade steel.

If the axles are made in China, they might as well be stamped steel or aluminum, as far as I'm concerned. (plus it's really not impossible to get all of the grit and grease out of there - just about 15-20 minutes per axle with the trick I mentioned)

Pet peeve of mine I guess, after having metal tear, bearings go out, and bolts just plain snap like a twig in all sorts of machinery from wheelbarrows and gardening tools to car parts.

mikerob

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
Iv changed the boot, and the axles,  I would just go ahead and do the axle they are cheap.

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »
The steel is the same as an OEM unit - why do you think they have such an incentive to return the core?
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org