Author Topic: Is this normal? Plus knuckle rebuild questions.  (Read 13965 times)

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
OK. Driver's side is all torn apart, painted, and ready to be rebuilt. But I have a small problem. When I took my hub apart to paint it and put new grease in it, I lost a piece. This was the first time that I had torn a Toyota hub apart, so I didn't know that there was a small spring with a ball on the end of it inside the red knob. Well, I found the spring, but I can't findthe little ball. Is this ball really all that important?? Does anyone know what I am even talking about? If I do need it, can I get it from Toyota? Or will I have to go to a junkyard and buy a whole hub just for the little tiny ball that may not even be in there? Also, I was missing one of the cone washers for some reason. Where can a replacement cone washer be sourced from? Toyota? Please help!

Thanks

I did the same exact thing
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=14334.180

See post 207.  I ended up taking the other hub apart, snagging the ball bearing and headed to a local bearing shop.  They had something similar in size, I bought 10 of them for $0.25 and it worked perfect.  I don't remember the size but it's small.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
OK. Driver's side is all torn apart, painted, and ready to be rebuilt. But I have a small problem. When I took my hub apart to paint it and put new grease in it, I lost a piece. This was the first time that I had torn a Toyota hub apart, so I didn't know that there was a small spring with a ball on the end of it inside the red knob. Well, I found the spring, but I can't findthe little ball. Is this ball really all that important?? Does anyone know what I am even talking about? If I do need it, can I get it from Toyota? Or will I have to go to a junkyard and buy a whole hub just for the little tiny ball that may not even be in there? Also, I was missing one of the cone washers for some reason. Where can a replacement cone washer be sourced from? Toyota? Please help!

Thanks
go to a bike shop...they should have a selection of balls that you can use....take the one from the opposite side hub to match it up
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Is it really necessary though?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
Is it really necessary though?
YES..it keeps your hubs locked....yes, lol that tiny little ball keeps your truck in 4wd
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Arms are not bent and the springs are reversed arched from the factory, they came that way. Though if they are originals they'd be a little bit more arched than when they were new.  If anything has changed it would be the steering rod, that is usually where something bends. Even a little bend will make it pull but sometimes when you really bend one it'll look like this.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
OUCH!!! I bet that made it a little toed in. I guess that little ball is very important then. Well I guess I will look in my parts washer (a.k.a. coffee can w/ brake cleaner), and see if i can find it. If it isn't there I will use a giant magnet to see if i can pick it up off of the driveway. The problem is that we have been extending our driveway right next to my truck, so if it isn't in the part washer, I probably won't find it. Thanks for the info!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Yeah it was pretty pigeon toed at that point, but it was an easy fix. A winch, some well placed lumber, a couple C-clamps, a piece of L-channel and a lot of welding.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
the only big rock i can see for miles and rocksurfer hits it head on!  :rofl2:

RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
the only big rock i can see for miles and rocksurfer hits it head on!  :rofl2:

:yupyup:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Volcom- I checked out the link, and that is it!!! Also, sweet build thread!

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
my springs look about like that. i thought that i needed new ones but i was fine. then i drove into a giant ditch and my passenger side sags a good 2-3" lower than the drivers side. i'm prolly getting some springs from Downey or Allpro.
lets not and say we did.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
How the hell does one get a birfield apart!?!? Do you take the c-clip out before banging on it with a brass punch, or after? I have been working on it for like an hour, and I am very pissed because I can't get it apart, and the FSM is very vague when it comes to getting the two shafts apart. Please help immediately!!! :maddest:

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
i never took mine apart. i cleaned em in solvent and looked at them and they looked fine so i left them. i've had no problems since even after i went in the ditch and screwed up my alignment.
lets not and say we did.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I can't get all the old grease out and put new grease in without taking it apart. I need to figure out how to get it apart. Help.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
find a tube just larger than the diameter of the birf. Put a rag in the bottom to protect the splines when the shaft drops in the tube. Drop the birf into the tube shaft side down hard and it will come out....you do have a FSM right?
RIP KYOTA

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
look on page 598-599 here is another way http://ncttora.com/fsm/1985/1985FSM.pdf
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
How the hell does one get a birfield apart!?!? Do you take the c-clip out before banging on it with a brass punch, or after? I have been working on it for like an hour, and I am very pissed because I can't get it apart, and the FSM is very vague when it comes to getting the two shafts apart. Please help immediately!!! :maddest:
unless you dropped it in the dirt  or see metal pieces  in it  just use a  wad of grease  in your hand  and pack the birf,  to  much chance  on damage  if  you remove it  completely
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i have an fsm. it doesn't work the way they say it should. i have been wailing on it for 4 hours. it now has brass pieces all over in it. what do i use to pack it? cv stuff, or the regular grease i have? I am about to say screw it and take it to toyota and have them take it apart. Then I can clean it out, pack it with fresh, new whatever, and put it all back together. do you have a pic of this pipe idea? I don't think i quite understand.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
do you have any pipe  that 1 1/2 inch inside ??

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i could probably locate some

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
unless you dropped it in the dirt  or see metal pieces  in it  just use a  wad of grease  in your hand  and pack the birf,  to  much chance  on damage  if  you remove it  completely

thats what i did...i just forced some of the old grease out with the new and called it good
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i could probably locate some
get a piece  about 3 feet long,   slide it over the inner shaft so it  comes up snug against the birf star, then smack the other end of the pipe on the concrete,  watch for the falling birf  it hurts

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
just dont let the birf hit the ground too hard

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
this wont cause any damage? should I move the c-clip up the axle before i do it? I really need to get this thing apart.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
you can remove the c clip but you dont have to. that just keeps the birf  from going to far onto the axle

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
well, my dad just left for a bigger brass punch and to pick up some cv lube stuff. Should i use the cv stuff? or just regular mp grease?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
regular hi temp red grease

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i just get it in the little tub  its cheaper  and has a lid

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i do too.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:woohoo: Today, kudos go to: DTB and Glen!!! :ladys-man: Thank you both so much! The pipe idea worked perfectly! Now, is there supposed to be a c-clip at the end of the shaft? I am assuming so, because there is a groove. Where can I source this clip? Toyota? NAPA? THANKS!!!! :woohoo: