Author Topic: Please help, starting problems  (Read 1526 times)

artistic_gore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Please help, starting problems
« on: Aug 15, 2007, 06:45:32 AM »
Allright, this is what I've got; my truck was turning over very slowly I think due to a problem with my clutch install. I plan to swap out the transmission and clutch to try and remedy that (and because I wanted to swap out the trans anyway). Aside from that I am now having electrical problems and can't even get the truck to turn over slowly. What I am hearing is an audible click from my starter solenoid and another louder click from my voltage regulator (I don't know that this has anything to do with the overall problem). I had the battery charged/tested and it tested good. Today I am going to have both of my starters tested and will spec my voltage regulator to see if it is part of the problem or a victim or something like that. This is so damn frustrating I am totally ready to give up and move on to something else (or nothing else since I seem to really suck at fixing vehicles)

As usual any help would be appreciated,

Bryce
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Please help, starting problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2007, 02:05:42 PM »
Are you sure all your battery cables are good?  Are your positive and negative connections clean and tight?
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »
I am sure that the connections are clean and tight but the wires are rather old and I am unsure if they are any good. Also there is a wire on the starter        ?solenoid? that is not connected to anything, I though it might be a ground that isn't hooked up. Also I did some research on pirate and there was a thread talking about adding grounds to the engine. I don't have any right now; should I remedy that situation? I know this sounds dumn but I understand as much about electrical as I speak lithuanian.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

Misfit4Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 313
  • Member since Jul '07
  • This line intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
I had a problum just like that changed my starter, alternator just to find out it was some corrosion inside my cables right behind the terminal connection. Autozone sells the adapters to fix it. you have to clip your wires then add these exstensions cost about 40 bucks and takes a min or two...

good luck to you man hope its something simple I pulled my hair out tring to figure out mine
If you dont stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them.

88 xtra cab sas'd dual cases flatbed

L.D.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »
this is a commen toyota problem, talked about many times over on just as many forums. toyota ground cables are run from the battery to the tin (inner fender) then jump from the inner fender to the motor mount, and to the engine block. ANY corotion in either of these SMALL cables and the starter doesn't work properly. i now inst. a ground cable from the battery strait to the starter, on all my toyotas, and don't have any more starting problems. try this on your truck. a good ground is just as important as a good battery.
LETS GET TWISTED
i'm not a damn hippy, i'm a well groomed mountain man

artistic_gore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2007, 03:57:41 PM »
Interesting, where do you run the ground to on the starter? Just anywhere on the body? I will check my ground but it would prove difficult at best to run a ground to my starter, though not impossible. It's just that my battery was re-located to the bed.

-Douglas Adams