Author Topic: Car Audio Guys (Sound Deadeners)  (Read 2804 times)

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Car Audio Guys (Sound Deadeners)
« on: Aug 15, 2007, 04:23:02 AM »
I am working on my DD project and I want it nice and quiet inside.  I was thinking of using something like Dynamat on the floors and back cab wall.  The stuff is kind of pricey, any experience with it or like products?  I may do the doors also, is it really worth it?  I'm not going to be putting in any sort of hardcore stereo system but something that deadens the noise and vibration in the cab would be great.

Thanks
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Re: Car Audio Guys (Sound Deadeners)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2007, 04:56:55 AM »
I looked at Dynamat, and you're right, it is awfully pricey.

I once had an 84 X5traCab, it was the quietest truck inside even though i had Swamper Thornbirds. After the frame broke, and the bed was all rusty, i decided to strip it down for parts....dash, windows, everything. Someone had put sheet-style packing foam under the carpeting, several layers. It was stuck to the metal with spray adhesive.

Here's a link to a popular office-supply company, if you look they have 1/4" thick x 48" wide x 250' long rolls for only $138.00...that would do every truck you'd ever own. It's what i plan on putting into mine. It's not marketed as sound-deadening foam but it works great, and probably insulates pretty good as well.

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-1956P&ref=869
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

tulsa_97sr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Nov '05
  • On jackstands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2007, 04:58:54 AM »
not sure if this is the exact stuff people have used, but peal-n-seal from lowes is very similar

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=154017-81326-PS625

I've read that it doesn't stick as well as the Dynomat type stuff, so maybe use something else on vertical surfaces.  I've also read that doors are generally the single biggest improvement spot, though tougher to do.  I'll use the peel n seal on my floor and something else in the doors if i ever get that far along...
97 sr5, 4wd 4cyl 5spd - DD
85 sr5, rusty

blyota91 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:20:18 AM »
That foam would work well, but it'd be nice to find it in a smaller amount.  As for the lowe's option, I don't think there is even a lowe's in Vermont.  Any body know any good car audio message boards I could search around on?
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »
The inside of my 89 is extremely quiet (except for my pesky little exhaust leak).  I have dynamat extreme throughout the entire interior...doors, back panel, and floor.  If I stay easy on the gas (to keep from having the exhaust leak) I can hear my radio extremely clear...even when it is at a low volume (actually sounds like I am not in an old truck and in something a lot newer).  I have 35 toyo open country's and a single cab.  Definitly expensive, but if you want a quiet truck and not have to crank your radio on the highway I would get it (easy to install).  I know on my next toy I will buy it to cover everything (since it would be a DD too).

Also, I have a Rockford fosgate stereo (9 speakers and 2 amps) and it seems like what they say on their website is true, all my music is really crisp and clear (and my doors close nice and quiet).
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

blyota91 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2007, 02:39:51 PM »
I'll probably have 4 speakers and no amp, gotta have room for me in there somewhere.  So it sounds as if the dynamat is worth it, are there any similar products I can look at?
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
I am not sure about other products that would work the same (everybody else would definitly know though...from what it looks like).  I like the dynamat because if the dynamat extreme isn't quiet enough, you can also add the regular dynamat on top of it (and it will still be relatively thin).  I only have the extreme and it is extremely quiet...with the 2 layers you could probably hear a cricket chirp inside your truck going 55  :yupyup: (as long as you don't have wind that can get in).  I really like it becuase you can get just a big sheet, or you can get it made for your truck.  Along with all the other places that you can put it (under your hood, along the fenders, wherever you would want it).  Definitly not cheap though; I bought my truck with it already in and if it wasn't there when I got it I probably wouldn't cough up the money to get it, but now that I know what it is like, I am willing to save to be able to put it in my next rig.

I have a lot of speakers, but all are nicely tucked away.  The only thing that takes up a lot of room is the sub.
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
There are a couple vendors on Ebay that sell some stuff that is much cheaper.  It is what I used to re-insulate the Beastmaster...its decent stuff, nice and thick.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2007, 07:34:29 PM »
I ordered some stuff a long time ago that was a generic Dynamat.  It really deadens the sound but doesn't conform to contours like dynamat will.  It was about half the price though. 

P.S.  I would definately recogmend doing the doors too.  I have  a really basic system in my Taco (Alpine deck an Pioneer speakers) and the Dynamat on the doors, if done right will really enhance the bass, even out of cheap speakers.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2007, 12:41:23 AM »
There are a couple vendors on Ebay that sell some stuff that is much cheaper.  It is what I used to re-insulate the Beastmaster...its decent stuff, nice and thick.
well .said
I ordered some stuff a long time ago that was a generic Dynamat.  It really deadens the sound but doesn't conform to contours like dynamat will.  It was about half the price though. 

P.S.  I would definately recogmend doing the doors too.  I have  a really basic system in my Taco (Alpine deck an Pioneer speakers) and the Dynamat on the doors, if done right will really enhance the bass, even out of cheap speakers.
also well said.

hiluxtrux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
I've been on a quest to quiet down my '80 and used "sound and vibration damping sheet" from McMaster Carr, pt # 9709T39.  MUCH cheaper than car audio stuff.  I used less than three sheets, which set me back about $60 with shipping. They ship fast too, from Sacramento to Chico, I had it on the 2nd day.

I did the doors, floor,rear and any other flat surface in the cab.  It definately made a difference, the doors close with a whunk, not with a clank.  I still need more in this old truck though... suggetions? 

LotOMiles

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:45:41 AM »
I put some cheap carpet padding on the floors where the thickness is not an issue. Dynamat went on all the walls and doors.
Works well.  :thumbs:

Raginyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »
Becareful what you buy from ebay. I bought some sound deading material that was like dynomat but not a pricy. Well it worked like a champ, BUT the smell or tar was overwhelming. I thought at 1st that it was just because it was new and it just needed a little time. About 2 months later the smell was still strong as hell, and when it sat in the sun it was even worse. After reading some more I came I founf this website: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ I had bought the spectrum to put over the cheap ass mat. The smell is gone, but let me tell you something, I can hear everything inside my truck now. Just remember you get what you pay for.  I this helps.

Laterz
Jeremy

CSA

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:46:26 AM »
X2 on Second Skin Audio.  Their mat is Butyl based (no tar smell) like Dynamat but considerably cheaper.  I used it in my 62 (floors and doors), and it made a world of difference.   

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2007, 10:28:15 AM »
I recommend that thin pink plastic sheeting that you sometimes see in packing containers.   My motherboard had a sheet of this underneath it to protect it.  This looks to be completely water and mold proof and very dense.  A roll of this is much cheaper than a Dynamat.

IME, the biggest area to take care of is the roof - mat under the headliner is a must.  Secodn of course is the firewall.  I'd be tempted to weld in a plate if it was a frame-off project and fill it with sound deadening foam(kind of like making a double-pane glass window).  The floor is simple enough - a sheet of whatever and some thickr carpet works well(should be about twice as thick as stock(which was budget junk to begin with).  About as thick in total as a factory floor mat or the rear cargo mats.