Author Topic: stock toyota sender with an autmeter gauge?  (Read 6106 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: stock toyota sender with an autmeter gauge?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2004, 08:05:20 AM »
You can weld your gas tank with gas in it  :yupyup: you just have to purge the tank with something like nitrogen to eliminate all the oxygen from the tank. This is how they do it a truck shops when a Big Rig comes is with a leak in a tank that just left the gas station.
not only does the nitrogen purge the oxygen but it also cools the deisel fuel which unlike gasoline will not burn when cold,  just try and start a deisel in about 20 degree whether with no fuel heater or glow plugs  :smack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toy283

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Mar '03
  • Occasionally employed
    • View Profile
    • toy283's Page
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2004, 10:06:55 PM »
well I see that the AM. and the toy both go from low to high as they go from f to empty.
if it where me doing it I'd get a pot and make the gage read empty when it is, then see where it land when full.
werth a look :crossed:
You could either add a 30 ohm resistor inline with the Toyota sender and then use the Autometer/VDO guage. In this case, empty would read empty but full would read roughly half. If you put a 5 ohm resistor inline with the Toyota sender and then use the Chrysler guage, empty would read empty, full would read full. You'd burn roughly half the gas tank with the guage reading full and then it would drop fast. I'd opt for the second option myself, it's kinda how I have my dual tanks set up right now. My stock guage reads the stock tank as usual, the second tank (20gal) gravity drains into the stock tank. Thus I burn 20gallons before the gas guage even moves from full.

Yet another option: Classic Instruments (http://www.classicinstruments.net/index.phtml?catid=46) says they carry guages to match stock Toyota & Nissan senders. The ranges are different than listed in the FSM but should be pretty damn close.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 10:17:20 PM by toy283 »

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 09:00:08 PM »

My  second tank (20gal) gravity drains into the stock tank.

I have somthing like that. my sec. tank runs to my pump though a valve and it is flows back to my stock tank by way of the fuel retrun. I run the stocker down to half and hit the switch, runs on sec. tank while the gage goes back up! (slowly) turn it off at full and on down the road I go. when it runs out I do have to change it back in a hurry. but oh well.  (note, no gage on sec. tank)
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: