Author Topic: Trans and transfer- When to worry?  (Read 1376 times)

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
Trans and transfer- When to worry?
« on: Apr 21, 2004, 12:12:05 AM »
Ok, the W56 in my truck has a bad 2nd gear syncro. Other than that it works perfect. Can I get away with another 5k or so on this (I drive the truck about 1000 a year)? When should I worry. Right now it isnt bad, just have to ease it into second.

Also, my transfercase main shaft bearing (the large one that doesnt come with the 4.7's) makes alot of noice while decelerating or when bogging the motor (aka: 4th gear and 25 mph). I know for a fact it is this bearing too. I havent had any problem yet, and I just had the bearing out, and it looked and worked fine in my hand. Once again, should I worry?

Basically I dont want to be 600 miles from home and have a TC bearing go out, or the tranny blow up, but on my budget, it is either fix these, or go wheelin this summer. I think you know which one I want to pick.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Trans and transfer- When to worry?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2004, 09:40:25 AM »
I'm not really sure about the T-Case bearing but I know that those trannys can make alot of noise for a long time before they even think about quiting. From bad gear mesh to rats makeing noise in there to to popping out of gear in over accelerating. I would wheel it unitl it's on its last leg then rebuild it. But it might be to late and you will have to replace the unit in hole  :dunno:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

GRM [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »
Plan is to find some cheap synthetic fluid (I wont pay $60 to fill my damn tranny) per what marlin told me before, and hope it helps.

As for the tc bearing, I already have a new x-fer case comming tomorrow.

now for the bigger question. That large bearing that is pressed into the case is a real bear to press out, and possibabally helped ruin this one. Should I replace the bearing, or just put my gears into the new case, or use parts of the new case in the old case. I cant remember, but where is the large bearing that is on the main shaft? Is it on the rear section of the case?

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »
marlin also told me when i was running a tired tranny to not use the gears to slow down he said to just use the brakes and not to lug it in 5th gear.  he said it would help it go a little longer. 

also i got used to giving the  motor a rev between gears when down shifting.  that helped with getting it into gear.

transfer case i don't know what to tell you, but if it were me i would pull it and repair it.  yota t cases are pretty easy to pull out and apart. 

i loosen the motor mount bolts, put a jack under the tranny and remove the cross member, lower the jack with the tranny on it, so then i can get to the 6 bolts to remove the t case.  that way i don't have to pull the tranny.  and the "T" case isn't very heavy.  i just pull it off and put it on with my hands.
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,