Author Topic: Is Alberto Contador the next Lance Armstrong?  (Read 4735 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Is Alberto Contador the next Lance Armstrong?
« on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:46:25 PM »
As you should know, Lance Armstrong won his 7th consecutive Tour de France and retired.

So I haven't been too excited about watching the tour since then, despite the fact that we had another American win it last year. Then this year comes along, and not even Jan Ullrich is riding, so I was just about ready to blow it off also, but I always wait to check out the Pyrenees (Alps) stages, and this year is certainly one to watch.

I don't know much about Alberto Contador. He is from Spain but riding for Team Discovery. The Tour's website says  he rode in the 2005 tour, but they are ranking him as a rookie riding for this years 2007 tour.

Well, as a rookie, he is an amazing climber. Even the best climber of the Tour, Rasmussen, can't shake him on the mountain stages.

So anyways, if Contador doesn't win it this year, then I am pretty sure he will very soon.

Tomorrow morning is stage 16, the 3rd stage in the Alps. Check it out! 7:30am EST!

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Is Alberto Contador the next Lance Armstrong?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2007, 01:06:23 AM »
 :headscratch:  :biked:
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2007, 12:28:23 PM »
Man you guys suck

I got home pretty late last night, but I still was able to catch the end of stage 16 before midnight PST.

I only saw it after the last climb, but I did see where Contador was basically teasing Rasmussen. The announcer said he had done it 6 times already and was doing mental damage. He would blast away and accelerate hard building a huge gap, but then he would slow way down and let Rasmussen catch him. It was if to say, "Look at me, I've got so much more energy than you"

I think Contador is going to open it all up in tomorrow's stage (as today was a rest day), stage 17.

If you have not been watching this years tour yet, tomorrow should be one of the most exciting days to watch!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »

people riding bicycles?  :headscratch:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2007, 03:40:06 PM »
Man you guys suck

My interest in watching cycling is almost as high as my interest in watching poker or another flamer with a decorating show.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »

My interest in watching cycling is almost as high as my interest in watching poker or another flamer with a decorating show.

:werd:  and I might add... watching grass grow till I have to mow it again.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
I guess I could have said world soccer and gotten the same response from you guys.

Check this out: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4439.0

:booya: :yesnod:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2007, 06:21:02 AM »
I guess I could have said world soccer and gotten the same response from you guys.

Check this out: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4439.0

:booya: :yesnod:

No, not at all. I would rather watch toluene evaporate than watch soccer. I would sooner have my nipples pierced than sit through the never ending weeks of the world cup. I would rather attend a fundraiser for Hillary...Ok, I guess I was getting out of control there. Even golf is more action packed than soccer...an hour and a half game with two points, riots and the biggest drama queens in all of sports. Just 'cause the rest of the world likes it doesn't mean it's good. I think soccer is a fine sport...for teenage girls. Hell, I'd almost rather watch baseball!
I would've kept off this thread, until you said we sucked.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2007, 08:24:48 AM »
No, no, that is what I was saying. I am saying that you guys must feel the same way for cycling as you do for soccer.

America is so strange, a bunch of posers.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
No, no, that is what I was saying. I am saying that you guys must feel the same way for cycling as you do for soccer.

America is so strange, a bunch of posers.

Posers!

Take any one of those candy-assed soccer players and see how long they'd last carrying the ball up the middle...little panty-waists would be crying and fallin all over the place after one play. One forearm from a lineman and they'd be crippled for life.

As for cycling...no sporting event should take more than 3-4 hours. If you want to make cycling interesting, give the participants swords and let 'em fight for position! Bunch of soy milk drinkin' weenies!  :therethere:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2007, 01:10:26 PM »
Posers!

Take any one of those candy-assed soccer players and see how long they'd last carrying the ball up the middle...little panty-waists would be crying and fallin all over the place after one play. One forearm from a lineman and they'd be crippled for life.

As for cycling...no sporting event should take more than 3-4 hours. If you want to make cycling interesting, give the participants swords and let 'em fight for position! Bunch of soy milk drinkin' weenies!  :therethere:

:rofl:  I always thought those races like the Boston Marathon should be a full contact sport as well.  :yupyup:

Where is the Mammoth?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »
Well, its not that I am biased one way or the other, I like most sports except for baseball (I just don't get it), but it is typical of Americans to only care about themselves. When we had an amazing rider in the tour, all of a sudden Bicycling became popular, at least in my area. Now that Lance has retired, it seems no one gives a crap anymore about it.

If we had a dominating soccer team that has won 7 world cups in a row, I don't know if you would make those same comments.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2007, 06:09:09 PM »
Nope I don't give a crap at all. Never did, never will   :pokinit: 

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »
I have a meeting every two weeks just on the other side of the Daytona Beach International Speedway.. never been there either.

Why is anything like that important enough to care about anyway.

Oh hell, maybe that's why bicycling has gotten so big in our area. They just do nothing but tick me the hell off! they think they can out peddle you in your vehicles.. sorry asswipe... in your two pedals I could have you in the ditch.

Where is the Mammoth?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »
Well, its not that I am biased one way or the other, I like most sports except for baseball (I just don't get it), but it is typical of Americans to only care about themselves. When we had an amazing rider in the tour, all of a sudden Bicycling became popular, at least in my area. Now that Lance has retired, it seems no one gives a crap anymore about it.

If we had a dominating soccer team that has won 7 world cups in a row, I don't know if you would make those same comments.

I suck and I'm a poser...but, your not biased?  :yupyup:

I didn't care before Lance, during Lance or after Lance. I just think it's boring...I don't care if I'm not in the brotherhood of man during this event. I also don't care about the Paris-Dakar event, whatever that show with the 3 judges (I'm having a brain fart) checking out "talent" or any "reality" shows. I just don't get excited by the things that get most people.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »
I suck and I'm a poser...but, your not biased?  :yupyup:

I didn't care before Lance, during Lance or after Lance. I just think it's boring...I don't care if I'm not in the brotherhood of man during this event. I also don't care about the Paris-Dakar event, whatever that show with the 3 judges (I'm having a brain fart) checking out "talent" or any "reality" shows. I just don't get excited by the things that get most people.

:werd:  but I do love watching the Ice Road Truckers challenge on History  :yupyup:

Where is the Mammoth?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2007, 10:19:55 PM »
just heard on the news today that he's been moved up to 1st because the former 1st place guy just got kicked out for drugs.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
Its a bad deal for the tour. But it is a good call by the team. There still is no proof that Rasmussen(the former 1st place guy) was doing drugs, but the decision by the team sets a great example for future riders. Play by the rules no matter what.

Can you believe these guys are riding 2,500 miles up and down hill in 20 days? That is like riding your bicycle from New York to Las Vegas :o They even ride up 16% grades for 2-4 miles at a time!!! :o :o I doubt many of us have even driven our trucks on a paved road at 16% grade?!

How about winding down a very narrow road at 60 MPH on tires about 1" wide?? :yikes:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2007, 12:15:20 PM »
I have not watched any part of this years tour, but the Tour amazes me.  It may not be the most exciting sport to watch, but you have to respect the physical endurance.  Lance was just at another level, sort of like Ed Vestures (?) the climber that has been up Everest seven times, most of them without oxygen.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:28:59 PM »
Cycling has some of the most phenomenal athletes in the world.  You non supporters have no idea what this is about.. gees. Go Alberto

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:36:24 PM »
Cycling has some of the most phenomenal athletes in the world.  You non supporters have no idea what this is about.. gees. Go Alberto
just because i'm not into cycling doesnt mean i have no idea what it takes to do it.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2007, 10:54:14 PM »
just because i'm not into cycling doesnt mean i have no idea what it takes to do it.

I would argue that the majority of bikers and even bike racers have no idea what it takes.  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved