Author Topic: Oil Pump tests  (Read 1860 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Oil Pump tests
« on: Jul 06, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »
Ok, my '91 3.0   decided to start showing lower and lower oil pressure on the guage in the dash. Guage looks kind of like this  [  I  I  ]  pressure is usually between the middle lines, toward the top end.  Recently, when I'm sitting at a light, the needle will drop down to the lower middle line, and even a little past it  :scared: under load, it'll move back up to the middle of the guage.  It'll usually fluctuate at idle a little in the past, but recently its started dropping to what I think is too low.  I'm really hoping the oil pump is not going out, because that entails tearing the front of the motor down past the timing belt.  Does anyone have an suggestions to test whether the pump is going bad, other than tearing it apart?  :dunno:  I;m gonna check a few things the FSM says to check (strainer in the pan, etc.)  but other than that, I guess I get to tear it down?  Oil is full, new oil, new filter, so that isn't the problem :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Oil Pump tests
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »
Jason   we need to find you a 3.4  and just be done with it  :headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2007, 05:50:12 PM »
can you put a manual (mechanical) gauge on the engine to verify whether or not the gauge is going poo?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
What weight oil are you using? Could be the hotter than usual weather causing the oil to thin out.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2007, 06:12:25 PM »
iagree,  in 100* weather i ALWAYS use 20-50 castrol
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »

Same here...

And I agree with the hotter weather thinning out the oil. On mine it did the same thing. It just reads really low and im even running 20-50
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2007, 08:49:38 PM »
I would go for the mechanical gauge as Duffil stated to many variences in older vehicles with electrical components. Mechanical gauge is a must and most likely your savior.
Good luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
can you put a manual (mechanical) gauge on the engine to verify whether or not the gauge is going poo?

That is one of the first things I'm going to try this weekend.
:thumbs:

Same here...

And I agree with the hotter weather thinning out the oil. On mine it did the same thing. It just reads really low and im even running 20-50

x3.  I've been running 20-50 in my truck for  long time.  I drove it quite a bit today, and I'm kind of thinking that is what it is.  When I first start up, and drive, its fine, stays right in the middle, even at idle.  After the engine gets hot, it drops.  I'm betting that is exactly what it is.  If I check it with a mech guage and its good, then I'll be happy :thumbs:

thanks guys :yesnod:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2007, 08:15:08 AM »
**Revive**

I wish to test my pump and Guage on my 22r to see if they are working correctly.   The FSM talks about putting a pressure guage on the sending unit.  Not sure if that is mechanical or not.  I'm going to try at my local auto parts store to find one of these.  Any tips on this guys?
I like to Drive!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2007, 08:59:24 AM »
**Revive**

I wish to test my pump and Guage on my 22r to see if they are working correctly.   The FSM talks about putting a pressure guage on the sending unit.  Not sure if that is mechanical or not.  I'm going to try at my local auto parts store to find one of these.  Any tips on this guys?

Just go purchase a mechanical oil pressure gauge. You can pick up an Eqqus brand mechanical oil pressure gauge at Napa for about $19.99, maybe even cheaper. Make sure to also purchase an adapter for a metric fitting in case the one you buy doesnt come with one (most are standard)
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography