Author Topic: F-150 rear springs  (Read 6189 times)

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Re: F-150 rear springs
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
Just curious as to why yall chose these over the chevy's? I know the chevys are longer but are there any more advantage to running these as opposed to the chevys? Trying to decide what springs to run in the rear of my truck.

Less overhang in the rear when turned long-side forward (opposite factory Ford configuration). Also, they seem to give a little more lift than Chevy's, as I won't have to run a block with the Fords and I may have had to with the Chevy's. They offer supposedly great flex with less overhang.

I believe Josh might be right on Marlin's springs bolting in if you decide to switch. I believe his springs are 56 or 57" long. The difference might be in how that is divided (32" - 25", 30" - 27", etc).

Hope that helps ya!

Gary Briggs

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:20:44 AM »

just scored these lil beauties from pic-n-pull, i decieded to go with these over chevy's because i want to bob as much of the bed off as possible, i do have one question though, are you guys running 12" or 14" shocks with this setup, i was thinking 12 but i hear alot of people sayyin the shocks are limiting theier flex?

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
I'm planning to go with 14s and angle them in with a higher top perch mounted to a tube crossmember between the frame rails, if that makes sense. I hope you're planning to run the long side forward, right?

junkyardjoe

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:08:11 AM »
im running 4x4 f-150s in the back turned around...i think these springs stomp a mud hole in the chevys...almost no over hang and they flex great...im running a 3 leaf pack
:pokinit: pile on 40s

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »
any body experience bad axle wrap running the springs backwards
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »
any body experience bad axle wrap running the springs backwards
the only thing i could possibly  see  running them backwards  isa  pinion angle issue but besides that,  dont remove   leaves  if  you dont want axle wrap
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »

just scored these lil beauties from pic-n-pull, i decieded to go with these over chevy's because i want to bob as much of the bed off as possible, i do have one question though, are you guys running 12" or 14" shocks with this setup, i was thinking 12 but i hear alot of people sayyin the shocks are limiting theier flex?

Which trucks had 3 leaf packs and which had 4 leaf packs?
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 07, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
3 leafs are on the standard cabs and the 4 leaf are on ext cabs.

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 07, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »
A word to the wise:

If you run these springs backwards, put the spring clamp on the front hanger side so that they "unload" at the rear like factory. That'll keep your pinion from rotating way down during spring wrap.

Just thought I'd share  :greengrin:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #39 on: Apr 08, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
For me, I just moved the front hanger. The rear should be good. It should work for you as well, as I believe we share the same length springs.  :biggthumpup:

Yep, went to the Baseline one on a Sunday and saw several Fords. Make darn sure you get them from an F150 and not an Explorer or Ranger. You may even want to measure them to make sure they are 32" - 25" or about that along the spring. Good luck!
are the explorer and ragner springs not heavy duty enough?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 08, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »
are the explorer and ragner springs not heavy duty enough?

This is sad... I know there's a reason, but I can't remember why now. I think maybe the measurements are different. I think those might be 52" springs versus 57" springs  :headscratch:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Apr 08, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »
This is sad... I know there's a reason, but I can't remember why now. I think maybe the measurements are different. I think those might be 52" springs versus 57" springs  :headscratch:
theyre ~56" i bought a set of explorer springs for the rears of my ranger, easy lift because explorers were SUA stock. ranger springs are same length and very flexy, but mounted SOA stock with a 2" factory block
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 08, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
theyre ~56" i bought a set of explorer springs for the rears of my ranger, easy lift because explorers were SUA stock. ranger springs are same length and very flexy, but mounted SOA stock with a 2" factory block

Give it a shot. I can't remember why I was so opposed to Ranger or Explorer springs. Hmmm... Makes me wonder. Tough getting to be 22 and lose your memory  :help:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #43 on: Apr 08, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
Give it a shot. I can't remember why I was so opposed to Ranger or Explorer springs. Hmmm... Makes me wonder. Tough getting to be 22 and lose your memory  :help:
i think ill probably try to throw the explorer springs under the toyota to try and eliminate some of my 3" block, how long are stock 3rd gen rears? 52"? oh well, ill postup if i ever swap em out.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 14, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
What spring hangers are you guys using for these springs? The spring hangers for Toyota springs have 18mm bolt holes and the steel bushing in the Ford spring only allows a 9/16" bolt. I would rather run Marlin hangers so I don't have the measure side to side on the frame to get the offset of the hanger correct. The spring hanger is not centered on the frame which makes other hangers more time consuming to mock up.

If I get poly bushings for the Ford springs and remove the metal sleeve will the 18mm bolts fit well enough to use the Marlin hangers?

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »
YotaJosh used a hole saw to take out the Ford bushings and just reused stock spring bushings to get the 18mm bolt hole.

Check out his build - search YotaJosh (if and when the search function comes back...  :hammer: )

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Apr 15, 2009, 07:25:41 AM »
What spring hangers are you guys using for these springs? The spring hangers for Toyota springs have 18mm bolt holes and the steel bushing in the Ford spring only allows a 9/16" bolt. I would rather run Marlin hangers so I don't have the measure side to side on the frame to get the offset of the hanger correct. The spring hanger is not centered on the frame which makes other hangers more time consuming to mock up.

If I get poly bushings for the Ford springs and remove the metal sleeve will the 18mm bolts fit well enough to use the Marlin hangers?

YotaJosh used a hole saw to take out the Ford bushings and just reused stock spring bushings to get the 18mm bolt hole.

Check out his build - search YotaJosh (if and when the search function comes back...  :hammer: )

Actually, I used hangers from Datin Fab that have a 9/16" hole. I reused the factory Ford bolt and bushing.

For the shackle end, I did just like Jordan said - drilled out the Ford bushings with a 1" hole saw. Once it's cleaned up, a new Toyota 18mm bushing fits perfect, and I was able to use my Marlin shackles. Edit - I left the thin metal sleeve in the spring eyes.

If I was to do it again, I'd just use a hanger with 18mm holes, buy 18mm bolts, and drill out the bushings.

Pictures and more info in my build thread (link in sig)
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Apr 18, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »
I just got my swap done on my 85 4Runner with spring hangers from Ruff Stuff Specialties. I mounted them normal with the front hanger 4.5" and rear shackle mount located 4" back. My shackle angle is perfect and the wheel is centered. I expect I gained around 4" of lift.

Edit: (LOL I forgot one of my friends put rubbing compound on a paper towel and drew a wiener into the quarter panel  ::) I thought it was dust until I saw the rubbing compound sitting next to the truck and was not able to wipe it off.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Apr 18, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
now you gotta do rubbing compound on the whole truck....

it will look a lot cleaner though all said and done with all the oxidation removed :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~