Author Topic: '85 Runner won't start. HELP!!!  (Read 1855 times)

DsrtJeeper

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
'85 Runner won't start. HELP!!!
« on: Jun 03, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
For the last few days it's been running rough as if flooded. It's EFI. Today it was running and started to miss then died. If you play with the ignition switch long enough; the stereo light will blip for a second. Is there a common problem with these Runners? Thanks!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: '85 Runner won't start. HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2007, 04:11:39 PM »
no,  ive never heard  of it anyway,  sounds like a  O2 sensor wire got pulled off
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
All EFI'ed vehicles will give problems at some point, as Glen mentioned locate the O2 sensor and check for connections, next check the 'air box' connection, check all accessible connections on and near the throttle body. However, please provide a little more info such as... where you offroading near water, is your rig a mall crawler? , when was your last tune up .ie. plugs, wires, cap, oil and air filter etc.
All this info helps to find the source of the problem! A well tuned EFI will run problem free for many miles, A WELL TUNED EFI !
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

DsrtJeeper [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »
All EFI'ed vehicles will give problems at some point, as Glen mentioned locate the O2 sensor and check for connections, next check the 'air box' connection, check all accessible connections on and near the throttle body. However, please provide a little more info such as... where you offroading near water, is your rig a mall crawler? , when was your last tune up .ie. plugs, wires, cap, oil and air filter etc.
All this info helps to find the source of the problem! A well tuned EFI will run problem free for many miles, A WELL TUNED EFI !
DanS

Fresh tune-up just done. The main power to ignition switch seems to be gone completely. We found the battery ground cable grounded to the firewall but no ground to engine block. Removed battery ground from firewall and touched it to the block. Sparks flew! Touch the battery ground to firewall and sparks fly. This is a truggy, but hasn't been submerged.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »
:yikes:

kinda  sound like the dang key  switch is shorted :whistle:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »
Before grounding out the engine to firewall did you check the starter and altenator connections for grounded out pos+ leads?
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

DsrtJeeper [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
Before grounding out the engine to firewall did you check the starter and altenator connections for grounded out pos+ leads?

No; I didn't. Would this keep power from reaching the ignition switch first? I have no power to the dash or accessories off of key switch. Thanks a bunch!

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
Check all your connections first then check the fuse block located behind the battery (under 'L' shaped cover) look for 'IGN' fuse may have blown while grounded out, CHECK alt/starter leads first! As Glen mentioned check the fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel for popped fuse, if you find one check what it controls first before changing.
DanS
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2007, 07:16:52 PM by DanS »

DsrtJeeper [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »
Check all your connections first then check the fuse block located behind the battery (under 'L' shaped cover) look for 'IGN' fuse may have blown while grounded out, CHECK alt/starter leads first! As Glen mentioned check the fuse panel on the drivers side kick panel for popped fuse, if you find one check what it controls first before changing.
DanS

Thanks everyone. All I had to do was ground the battery to the block and it fired right up. Now it idles good for a minute then idle drops low and the check engine light comes on. The engine then begins to sputter and load up.