Author Topic: Rears VS All Pro/Trail gear 3" springs  (Read 9814 times)

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Rears VS All Pro/Trail gear 3" springs
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:02:35 PM »
I am going through my truck again, adding 60's front and rear, 40's, and a V8.  I have rears up front right now which I could not be more pleased with, the flex is awesome, they are soft and offer a great ride :bowdown:.

I had Marlin 4" rears out back, but they were like 3-4 inches to tall for my liking.   They did flex better than my previous F-150 rears, but just did not get it if you know what I mean. 

I have been looking at the 3" spring that All Pro and Trail gear sell, but both companies told me they were way to soft for a full body truck, let alone one with a V8.  If any one has any experience with these springs please, elaborate your opinion.

I just want my rears to flex good like the front, but I do not want a 3/4 elliptical set up nor a Revolver or any other doosh wacky shackle set up.  Most likely I will also buy a pair of the johnny joint shackles from all pro to aid the twisting of the spring.   

One more thing,  I also tossed around the Idea of using 4" marlin rears, in-boarded (to add a little leverage), in a spring under set up.  This would leave me with spring that will support my weight, but will also keep me low.  I was told by the dude at trail gear that leaf springs have to be specifically designed to mount spring under :dunno:, meaning I would have to go with some jeep springs.   

Opinions please.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Rears VS All Pro/Trail gear 3" springs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:16:43 PM »
Why not run marlin's 4" rears and frenched hanger?  You could do a little leaf swapping to get them a little lower too.  Sorry, but you just couldn't pay me to run tg springs.  Maybe you could find some stock softer rears, maybe like exploder or something :dunno:  I was at the junk yard today and noticed a late 80s full sized lincoln looked to have some longish multi-leaf springs with good arch and about the right width.  Didn't look too close cause I was in a hurry, but I'll be investigating further my next time there.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:06:53 AM »
I would probably stay away from TG springs,I'm not trying to bash them in any way but we HAVE had more than a couple costumers call and say they've ran TGs and have had to replace them a couple times due to them sagging prematurely.Now,the few that I've talked to have all said TG's taken care of them as far as replacing the springs at no extra charge,but the inconvenience of having your truck down a couple days while you pull the springs off,send them back(at your cost for shipping)and waiting for new ones to arrive just doesen't sound appealing to me  :dunno: .Again,that's just my  :twocents: ,NOT TRYING TO BASH THEM...My question is,why do you feel you wouldn't get enough flex out of Marlins or All-Pros?.They're both great springs and I've never had anyone tell me that either one does not flex well.As far as inboarding your existing springs,I'd avoid doing that as well.All that is gonna do is make your truck more top heavy and with a V8 and dana 60s you're gonna have that much more weight,IOW it's gonna be real easy for the truck to flop...In my personal oppinion I would also consider swapping out the rears you have up front,again with a V8 and Dana 60s it's gonna be hard to keep the rig on all 4s.Flex is good but there is such thing as too much flex.I would just buy a set of fronts and rears from either company and call it good.I hope this doesen't turn into a "I have to talk sh** about TG because I'm a member on the Marlin Board" thread.Good luck with what you decide!!!
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:14:28 AM »
The Prune uses 5" All-Pros front and rear with Toy axles and 38s.I don't see why you would need much more flex than that  :dunno: .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:26:38 AM »
i have the same setup the prune has and haven't had any problems or complaints about it.

HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

whiteman [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 12:22:07 PM »
Thanks for the word Infernal, and buy no means will anyone be bashing companies in my thread, we are all in this wheeling thing together. 

And for the pics guys, thanks it gives me a good idea of what I want to do.  I have made an 8 leaf pack out of stock rear springs which I will probably go with for the front, if I have problems I can swap out for a set of marlin 4's and say been there done that.

As for the rear, true i guess in boarding the springs would cause it to flop easier.  But what about a spring under set up does anyone have an opinion on that?  Could I use a set of 4 or 5" marlin springs for a spring under?

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »
if it were me and i was running a small block i would look into alcan springs..    the springs that we sell might not be stiff enough to suport thr extra weight of a 350
4THEWKN

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
as for the spring under, the 2wd toyotas come this way, or the older ones did anyways.... the 2wd springs have more arch, but less leaves...
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

whiteman [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
as for the spring under, the 2wd toyotas come this way, or the older ones did anyways.... the 2wd springs have more arch, but less leaves...

:smack:  I did not even think of that.  I have a2wd drive at my house that was a parts truck.  I will take a look at them and see.

if it were me and i was running a small block i would look into alcan springs..    the springs that we sell might not be stiff enough to suport thr extra weight of a 350

My friend has a sbc in his toy, with all pro's 5" springs, and they are holding up well. 

I will not be driving my truck down the highway, it will be a trailer queen :yupyup: