Author Topic: Rear spring hanger  (Read 1962 times)

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Rear spring hanger
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »
I just picked up my Marlin 4" rears for my 82, spring and shackle hangers, etc.  Anyway, I got the standard sloped hangers and went to start measuring stuff out, and am not sure about their placement.  I know they are to be welded 6" forward of the stock ones, center hole to center hole, but when I started measuring that it leaves about three quarters of the hanger base on the flat of the frame, and a quarter of it floating because of the frames angling upward.  Tried to show it in this drawing...

Is that how its supposed to be?  I would think the entire hanger should fit on the flat but I could be wrong...

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: Rear spring hanger
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »
Yes that is ok what I did was split the difference with the gap between the frame. so that there wouldn't be a whole lot of fill on one side or the other.
I just picked up my Marlin 4" rears for my 82, spring and shackle hangers, etc.  Anyway, I got the standard sloped hangers and went to start measuring stuff out, and am not sure about their placement.  I know they are to be welded 6" forward of the stock ones, center hole to center hole, but when I started measuring that it leaves about three quarters of the hanger base on the flat of the frame, and a quarter of it floating because of the frames angling upward.  Tried to show it in this drawing...

Is that how its supposed to be?  I would think the entire hanger should fit on the flat but I could be wrong...

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:28:12 PM »

yep  same on my truck 

milla85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since Jun '06
  • 85 in da house!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »
Me to!!!  :thumbs: Put a C clamp on either side and adujust it till its a even gap on both sides.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
On a friends runner we put the front portion of the hanger flush with the frame then used an old bolt cut to length to fill the gap and welded it all up solid. :dunno:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:48:36 PM »
ok cool....just wanted to make sure something wasnt reaaally wrong with my frame or measurements or something.   Thanks

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
I took a piece of 1/4" 1 inch wide strap and welded it to the spring hanger.  Hard to describe in words.  Here's a picture.  Mine is welded in front of the hanger and you would need add this piece to the rear.  When I did my rear suspension, I wanted a longer wheelbase so I only moved my rear spring hangers forward 3" rather than the 6" they wanted.

Inside weld

Hope that helps!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:54:27 PM »
ok...got it done this weekend.  I went ahead and used the c-clamp method and it worked out good... Oh yea...the marlin springs are freakin sweet too.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 02:30:54 AM »
looks good. nice weld
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...