Author Topic: tapped IFS box... leaks  (Read 1506 times)

MR_DIY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
tapped IFS box... leaks
« on: Apr 25, 2007, 03:31:20 PM »
I am selling my tapped IFS box b/c it leaks and I don't have time/patience to rebuild it. I am heading to Tellico in just a few weeks and have PLENTY of other stuff to do b4.

I tapped it myself per the instructions here on marlincrawler's sticky post.  I think I cut the teflon O-ring on the input shaft during re-assembly but there is NO grinding in the box (clearances are good) so it's sucking air at the input shaft housing.  So you will have to rebuild this box for it to be good to go. I don't know if it matters but my 1/4" NPT fittings aren't perfectly straight but thread in and out just fine. no pitman arm

here is the contact info for the complete rebuild kit which sells for $53 from Jake Vargus in Texas.  his email is sic@sbcglobal.net  OR you can get the rebuild kit from the dealer (unsure of price but prob. similiar)

$100 as is. thank you for your time.
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: tapped IFS box... leaks
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »
I'll even do the footwork for you and post up the detailed HOW-T0 rebuild your box thread on marlin's site

http://web.archive.org/web/20050322011020/http://128.83.80.200/taco/box.html

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

hisdudeness

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
i'll give you $40 for it

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »
i'll give you $40 for it
no thanks... The time I took to tap it is worth more than that.

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:23:49 PM »
I am getting online to delete the F/S threads b/c I more than likely fixed the box tonight.

long story short... a few rubber o-rings, some toyota RTV and new teflon tape should get me in business. re-assembly tomorrow night.  thanks though

I learned (after 20 min. searching through inventory at autozone) tonight that the 7.3 powerstroke thermostat Oring fits the toyota input shaft Oring AND the sector shaft Oring really well.  and they are a hair thicker but not TOO thick. score.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »

I learned (after 20 min. searching through inventory at autozone) tonight that the 7.3 powerstroke thermostat Oring fits the toyota input shaft Oring AND the sector shaft Oring really well.  and they are a hair thicker but not TOO thick. score.
i would be weary of using that......would suck to put it together and have it leak still....not sure what the tolerances are on that part...remember the hydro assist might be putting more pressure on those than stock
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:48:58 PM »
that has been considered.  if anything I'd expect these orings to work better.  I expect the box to leak a bit but I don't have time to nitpick over it.  besides- I can pull a box apart and put it back together in under an hour now.  :ha_ha: