Author Topic: brake problem aint gone any  (Read 2603 times)

NaturalDisaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
brake problem aint gone any
« on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:36:15 PM »
well since i am back from moab now and am still alive from a close call on hells revenge i have done about all i can think of to get my brakes working but cant figure it out i have decided to ask for some assistance on what may be wrong

my truck is an 86 sas ifs calipers solid axle rotors still brand new pads in front brand new master cylinder we have bled them numerious times we have adjusted the rear shoes note: have not looked at them to see if they are shot but do not seem to be grinding. we have also adjusted the proprtioning valve and still nothing if anybody has any ideas please let me know thanks

KW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: brake problem aint gone any
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
What are they doing?  Pedal going to the floor? 

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »
yes the pedal is going right to the floor some times i can pump them up and the will work soso for a minute then the next time i go to use them it will be totally flat again

KW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2007, 11:47:12 PM »
Is there any leakage ANYWHERE?  Do you have to add fluid?

KW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2007, 11:56:38 PM »
Fluid has to be going somewhere.  If not out of a leaking wheel cylinder, caliper, proportioning valve, line, or outside the master cylinder, then it is leaking inside the master cylinder.  Also double check the brake pedal adjustment.  Another idea... if the parking brake also failed (you didn't say), your problem is in the rear drums.  Think of them as slighlty linked together.  If the rears are out of adjustment or damaged, both park brake and pedal will suck.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2007, 12:05:16 AM by KW »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »
you need a 1 inch  bore  master cylinder,  you said it was new  but  where from

if its a new stock MC  you just wasted money

pumping  to get brakes  also means  you still have some air  in the lines
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

pyrotec220

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Nov '05
  • rock solid
    • View Profile
    • myspace-- although i use facebook
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2007, 07:41:54 AM »
air in lines. could be from a old line either rusted or kinked and even if there is a pinhole in it it could be enough to cause some headaches

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »
yes the new mc i bought is stock but all my other trucks seem to work great that way. the ebrake always worked very well until the sas and the removal of the torsion bar mounts now i believe it has to much slack in the cable i have checked all lines numerous times for a loose one (all tight). i dont recall seeing any leakage from anywhere but i will pull off the drums to find out for sure and check calipers and the possability of a damaged metal line could be likely after all it goes through alot of rocks so i will check everything over once more and keep you posted

i also will be converting to disc in the rear very soon should i try to fix my broblem now and then convert to discs or just do it now. also what master cylinder do i need  Thanks for all the help

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2007, 01:28:31 PM »
so thats the one i need and will work good even with 4 wheel disc

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »
are you using the vented fj rotors or the stock solid axle rotors? the way your post sounds you have ifs calipers with stock solid axle rotors not vented fj rotors.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »
so thats the one i need and will work good even with 4 wheel disc
yep  thats it,
are you using the vented fj rotors or the stock solid axle rotors? the way your post sounds you have ifs calipers with stock solid axle rotors not vented fj rotors.
dang i didnt even notice that,  you GOTTA have  vented rotors  or  put  1/4 inch shims  between the pads  and caliper

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
yep  thats it, dang i didnt even notice that,  you GOTTA have  vented rotors  or  put  1/4 inch shims  between the pads  and caliper

OH YEA, X2. Should you be using vented rotors and are using V6 calipers with the cooling fins, just get the master cylinder 79Coyotefrg gave you the link to. I have a 86 and went with the V6 calipers with fins and needed to go to that master cylinder to have any kind of a decent pedal

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
you would think so this is why im stumped because i also have an 85 truck ifs calipers front with non vented rotors (still solid axle  rotors) and an 86 rear axle with 10'' drums with the stock 85 mc and it flat stops on a dime running 37's i just dont understand why my 86 sas wont do the same maybe i just got lucky for everything to work good on the 85

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »
well  pull your front tires off,  open the bleader on the  caliper,then using a small pry bar  see how much room you can make in there,  yes  in theory  it  should work  but  sometimes  stuff adds up

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
ok well ive done a little more work to the brakes and still have problems i have changed the front calipers to solid axle ones being i dont have vented rotors i have pulled the rear drums and checked everything over back there and adjusted them looked for leaks and checked all metal lines dont see anything wrong with them and on top of that i have bleed the piss out of them and i still dont have any brakes so anybody got any new ideas? could it possibly be the brake booster? or is there any typical problems that goes wrong with the rear brakes? and its starting to drive me bonkers Thanks for any help.

crwlntoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -223
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »
did you bleed the brakes in the correct order?
If God didnt want me to eat animals,then why are they made out of meat?Wackum & stackum

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2007, 03:22:48 AM »
ahh i dont know i have never heard of that.What would the correct order be?

crwlntoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -223
  • Male Posts: 77
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2007, 08:46:22 PM »
You start furthest from the m/c. If I remember correctly it goes driver rear, pasenger rear, pasenger front, driver front, then lspv. It may also be posted in the faq on pirate4x4 in the toyota section.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2007, 08:52:45 PM by crwlntoy »
If God didnt want me to eat animals,then why are they made out of meat?Wackum & stackum

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 27, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
nope, the lpsv is last..... lr, rr, rf, lf, lpsv
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2007, 12:53:29 AM »
ok well i will bleed them again and in order this time later today and see if that will help but im thinking its not gonna work somthing here is being really fishy with my brakes or maybe im just doomed to not have any. I feel like a tard for asking this but can some one tell me what lspv stands for i have tried and tried to figure it out  :headscratch: but all i can come up with is

(larry's supplimental thingy vitamins) :dunno:

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 28, 2007, 04:17:55 AM »
Load Sensing Proportioning Valve          Oh by the way what type of flexable brake lines are you running?
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007, 04:25:09 AM by toyguy86 »

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 28, 2007, 06:44:17 AM »
I don't know how many people do this little trick, but it has worked for me in the past... many, many times....

Before you put your master cylinder on your truck, fill it up with break fluid and manual pump the valve to get the fluid running through the MC..... While you are doing this, take your opposite hand, and use your fingures to cover the outlet holes letting it push the fluid out, and not allowing any air to come in... With this, you are taking the MC and taking all of the air out of them and running fluid... This could be your problem, there may still be air inside your Master Cylinder.... See if it works

military_stang
:respect:

KW

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2007, 12:49:14 AM »
I don't know how many people do this little trick, but it has worked for me in the past... many, many times....
... It is called bench bleeding.  Or at least a form of it. 
  NaturalDisaster... a dumb question - did you intall the calipers with the bleeder on top?  Also, when you bleed the brakes, does a lot of fluid come out?  Usually when you have good pedal one time and it goes to the floor the next, that can be a sign of a bad master cylinder.

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2007, 04:42:37 AM »

It is called bench bleeding

Yes yes, thats what i was trying to say.. for some reason, i couldn't think of those words, HAHAHA

military_stang
:respect: