Author Topic: My new (to me) 4 Runner; I'm walking backwards  (Read 2755 times)

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My new (to me) 4 Runner; I'm walking backwards
« on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:20:27 PM »
Out with the old  :rivers:

And in with the new

I gave up on ever finding one set up completely the way I wanted. Namely, with no options whatsoever, 4cyl, 5sp and the w56/gear drive transfercase. So, I finally settled on this one since the two doors and a baby thing just wasn't working out on the old 4Runner.
It's a '93, 4cyl, 5sp, g58, 113,000 miles and power nothing; not even airconditioning. Now I just have to hang around here and learn how to make it into a 4 door version of my old 1985 4Runner. The old one has to go so if anybody is looking for the sought after '85 EFI 4Runner, here's a chance at one   ;)

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re:My new (to me) 4 Runner; I'm walking backwards
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:26:25 PM »
What mod's have you done to the 85? Did you rebuild the motor?
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:44:37 PM »
Thumbs up on your "new" Runner.
I have never seen a 4 door 22R Runner without A/C :dunno:
I seem to recall that the t/case knob has 2H-4H, then 4L with no netural.
With steel wheels, I would think that you have 4.11 ring and pinions.

MC

1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:07:15 PM »
What mod's have you done to the 85? Did you rebuild the motor?

Mostly just under the hood. As of 37k ago, it has an LCEngineering EFI Pro motor, 94mm pistons, oversized valves, taller cam, balanced, blueprinted, ported polished, dual timing chain, metal guides, all those buzz words, K&N filter charger kit, all new balanced injectors, new LC EFI Pro distributor, JET Chip ECU mod, big bore throttle body, 30lb flywheel, heavy duty clutch and pressure plate (only around 8-9k on these, I had a rivet break on the first pressure plate  :confounded:), throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, 2 row radiator that is supposed to be same capacity as a 3 row, starter, alternator, LC headers with heat tape, o2 sensor, full 2 1/4" exhaust, free flow cat, chambered muffler, new fuel pump, new battery (month or two old now).
Suspension is antique Alcan 3" from back in the days they built everything like it was a Mack truck. They are in the same town I live in along with AOR. Shocks are richard Cepek 77s at all corners, 4 inch extended stainless steel brake lines, coarse spline Spicer rear slip yoke and stub, 31x10.50 MTRs on steel black spokes.
The brake system was entirely rebuilt about 2-3yrs ago (master cylinder, rotors, calipers, rear cylinders...), but once again I got stiffed. See a trend here DAMMIT! I had problems right off the bat and took the truck back three times with no luck. I finally pulled the drums myself and found the adjusters not only not cleaned, but on the driver side it was installed incorrectly and was basically forcing the brake to be on all the time. I took the drums in and they were out of round and had them turned, but there is still a shudder to the brakes. I think the drums are so far gone they won't stay round and I'm one of those guys that uses the park brake religiously and that never helps.
I wanted to be sure the new motor would be fully supported by new parts all around it. Unfortunately, the jackass that installed it set up the TPS wrong and the follow up shop I took it to to check his work, failed to correct it either so the engine ran rich for a long time eventually causing the headgasket to fail. Being an idiot I took it back to the same guy who proceeded to do the headgasket and torque the ARP studs to bolt specs. Needless to say, that lasted for about 25 miles.  Finally, I lucked into having it fixed by a guy that owns his own shop and does his own work. It's a real screamer now! But, with running rich for so long, it uses oil now. Joy. If I were going to keep it, I'd do rings and bearings on it and call it good for another 100k.
The basics: '85 EFI, around 210k, very little 4 wheeling since I used it mostly just to get where we were going. It's been on Top of the World Trail a couple times, but the was the hardest use it ever saw. w56 tranny with gear drive case, 4:10s with open diffs, Corolla SR5 bucket seats that will really hold you in place, but don't adjust forward or back for sh*t, some rust at the wheel wells, body is very straight with only a few dings.
I'll never make it as a car salesman. I'll always talk a car "down". I don't like to be bullsh*tted so I don't do it to anybody else.
In my current likely fantasy world, I want to get $4k out of it. Heck, I figure if somebody is willing to pay $2-3k for a SAS this rig ought to be worth something especially since it represents a pretty good start on a desert banger or trail rig.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:12:42 PM »
Right on congradulations on the find. That is something that it has no A/C.  And 113000 mile isn't bad at all. :thumbs:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

fahrenheit 451 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:07:07 AM »
Thumbs up on your "new" Runner.
I have never seen a 4 door 22R Runner without A/C :dunno:
I seem to recall that the t/case knob has 2H-4H, then 4L with no netural.
With steel wheels, I would think that you have 4.11 ring and pinions.

MC

I was pretty surprised to find one without airconditioning. It isn't even plumbed for it. Still has the plugs in the firewall. The transfercase does have a neutral shift point going from H2-H4-N-L4. From what I have figured out so far from the VIN tag, it has open diff 4:10s with 2 pinions.
Now I just have to figure out the loud tapping sound. I think it has a classic LOUD Toyota injector in #4 cylinder. The rest are not too bad, but #4 really clacks. Time to get a manual and see if it something I want to try and tackle myself.  It looks like you might have to pull the plenum and the fuel rail to get to the injectors :headscratch: