Author Topic: california diesel swap  (Read 38488 times)

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Re: california diesel swap
« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »
The OM 617 mercedes is probably an easier swap manual injection.

The OM 617 is one of the greatest small diesels ever made. They make great power and are easy to modify for more. They have oil cooled pistons and nitride coated rod and main bearings and are built like Swiss watches. I had one in an 84' Merc wagon with almost 300k on it. I was 16 and ran Castrol 10w30 and whooped on it...redline all the time...constantly driving...when diesel was 99 cents per gallon in 2004. It didnt burn more than a quart in 3000 miles and gave me 24-26mpg consistantly.

Planning on this swap soon into an 84' Runner. Adapter plated W56. It's 2011 so hopefully it can be done. My 22re sounds like an eggbeater....with 16k miles. SO... as it is now, can you in this chicken little state, still do the swap and bring it to DMV to have the vin processed with say and 85' OM 617? If so I am sourcing one.

BTW.... El Cheapo, go post on Prius chat if your still here ;)
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
I did a bunch of researching on the OM617 that was in the Sno Cat at work and the service manuals that were in it had a recommendation of adjusting the valves every 10k.  As long as this process was easily doable and accessible after the swap into a hilux I'd say go for it.  I talked to Luke at 4x4 labs for about 45 minutes on these swaps and from what I've gathered it's legit.  In top shape they are said to perform in an FJ60 comparable to the 2F, a little underpowered for my current situation but by all means do it for showing your skills if nothing else.

The OM 617 is one of the greatest small diesels ever made. They make great power and are easy to modify for more. They have oil cooled pistons and nitride coated rod and main bearings and are built like Swiss watches. I had one in an 84' Merc wagon with almost 300k on it. I was 16 and ran Castrol 10w30 and whooped on it...redline all the time...constantly driving...when diesel was 99 cents per gallon in 2004. It didnt burn more than a quart in 3000 miles and gave me 24-26mpg consistantly.

Planning on this swap soon into an 84' Runner. Adapter plated W56. It's 2011 so hopefully it can be done. My 22re sounds like an eggbeater....with 16k miles. SO... as it is now, can you in this chicken little state, still do the swap and bring it to DMV to have the vin processed with say and 85' OM 617? If so I am sourcing one.

BTW.... El Cheapo, go post on Prius chat if your still here ;)

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 24, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
I live in Cali and have a 2l in my 84.  Of course its not the original engine but the previous owner had swapped it.  It runs good, fires right up and sounds cool.  It only goes 60 on flat ground with 31s.  Gets about 25mpg, but thats because its floored all the time to keep up with traffic.  Hills are a problem. haha.  Im looking for a turbo which I hear helps alot.  Still love it even though its slow just because its different and I can blow black smoke at all the pruis owning enviromentalists. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 28, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »
I live in Cali and have a 2l in my 84.  Of course its not the original engine but the previous owner had swapped it.  It runs good, fires right up and sounds cool.  It only goes 60 on flat ground with 31s.  Gets about 25mpg, but thats because its floored all the time to keep up with traffic.  Hills are a problem. haha.  Im looking for a turbo which I hear helps alot.  Still love it even though its slow just because its different and I can blow black smoke at all the pruis owning enviromentalists. 

MRHILUX, What tranny is behind that 2l? The hardest part of any diesel swap would be the wiring. There is little info on wiring in a diesel. Could you post up some info on how it (the wiring) was done...and maybe of you blowing some smoke at a prius or smart car or honda insight!!
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 28, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »
haha.  Ya I didn't do the swap.  I was looking and looking for a diesel yota and I happend to run accros one.  The older diesels are mechanical fuel injections so there are like two wires.  Literally.  I don't do electrical and I understand this truck.  The newer toyota diesels with more power 1ktze, or whatever its called has fuel injection and a ton of wiring.  The 2L and 2L-t(turbo) are both super easy to swap. 
And this truck smokes constantly.  I got pulled over by chp a while back and he tried to give me a gross poluter ticket.  haha.  Even at constant throttle it smokes. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 28, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
Oh and I don't know about the tranny.  Ive driven gas toyotas and this one seems to have better synchros.  imo.  I can easily shift smoothly without the clutch into any gear, like most diesels. 
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:

andyanderso

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
I put a 2lt into my 1987 toyota. When I took it to the DMV to register it all they had to do was come out and look at the engine to verify it was a diesel. After that they registered it no problem. I live in Truckee, CA.

--
Andy
1987 Toyota PU 4x4 with a 1995 2LT turbo diesel (its for sale if you want it)

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 08, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »
being the truck is an 85, the last year i believe they came with the option of diesel, it should be pretty easy.  you don't even need to go to the referee.  i just got done helping a friend do a cummins swap into his 85, and all we had to do was go to dmv, tell them we swapped means of power from gas to diesel(fill out the proper paper work for a correction of title, since your old one will say gas), and they give you a form that you have to have either chp fill out, or you can even take the vehicle into dmv and have them inspect it to make sure it is a diesel.  its actually a lot easier than it sounds.

I second this. Don't let the DMV fool you. All you need is a statement of facts form.  For the any vehicle pre 97.  But I don't know if the age of the engine applies

TimberlineBryce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 517
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #38 on: Mar 27, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Just found this thread!  :hammer:

Acme adapters now sells the adapter plate to  bolt a Vw 1Z Tdi to the toyota v6 5spd transmission!!!  :bowdown: Just so happens that I have a Tdi swap sitting in my garage ready to go in my 4runner when the 3.0 blows!

So this thread confirms what I have also heard from people in the Volkswagen community, that you can take your vehicle into the dmv office for an inspection and they will convert the title from gas to diesel :crossed: but I am not sure if the engine can be from a different vehicle manufacturer(not that the DMV employee would know)?
See you at the Timberline!