Author Topic: Gear Driven Cases in taco?  (Read 3107 times)

jackedupYJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Gear Driven Cases in taco?
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »
I am doing a sas with a toyota axle. I would like to do dual cases at the same time. I am wondering what parts I am going to need to buy from MC to first bolt a gear driven case to my 5 speed(1998, v-6) and then to bolt another gear case to that ending up with a passenger drop. I know I will need a new input gear to change the input spline on the front case to 23, and the adapter plate to mate the front and rear cases together. So I guess the real question is will a gear driven case bolt to my transmission or do I need to get an adapter for there as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Driven Cases in taco?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
As far as I know you will need an adaptor.I just bought a '98 SASed Taco with that exact setup.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:37:50 AM »
did you even look through marlins website?  the adapters you need are clearly advertised there

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »
you need the 3.4 plate that will go from your tranny to the gear drive t-case, then you need a MC07 or one of new MC07 R10
4THEWKN

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:34:44 AM »
will a gear driven case bolt to my transmission or do I need to get an adapter for there as well.

Hello jackedupYJ :wave:

Yes, you will need an adapter plate to adapt your transmission to a 1979-95 Gear Drive t/case. The Gear Drive has a different bolt pattern than the Chain Drive (what you have).

The Adapter Plate you are looking for is Part Number 34-4GT. It is made from Billet T6061 Aluminum and was originally designed by Marlin Czajkowski back in mid 90s.
Here is what the plate looks like, including the optional 10-degree offset pattern:

Once that we have converted you to a Gear Drive T/case, now you are exposed to all of the low range gearing options and dual case adapter available for it.
Since you not only have a V6, but are also a bit on the heavy side, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using ONLY Marlin Crawler components with your drivetrain. I say this NOT because I work for Marlin Crawler, but I say this because I CARE about your Tacoma not leaving you stranded somewhere.

Marlin Crawler was founded on the "it could be better" belief, where even if changes are not necessary, we have done it just to make it that much better.

I hate sounding like this, but especially considering your situation, IN MY OPINION, I would NOT settle for a copy of the Marlin Crawler, nor would I settle for running a discontinued Marlin Crawler design (A/A MC05 & Trail Gear Trail Creeper).
Not only is this my opinion, but I so firmly believe that the Marlin Crawler is the strongest and most reliable Crawler in the world that I have written articles regarding its advanced design.
If you have a minute, please read this article regarding why the Marlin Crawler Dual Case is the most reliable Dual Case in the world: Understanding the Success of the Marlin Crawler. Please note that this article is not yet finished, and should be soon.
Also, please read these posts regarding the advantage of our Dual Case Design and the Advancements made to our original 4.70:1 Gear Set, the very first Low Range Gear Set marketed in the world for the Gear Drive t/case: Marlin Crawler Parts Comparison

I hope these articles find you with good intrest. I feel that they are very important and I wish more people knew about how companies have blatantly copied Marlin Czajkowski and all of his hard work.. :down:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki