We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: Price Drop on Hilux Rear HREW Bumpers! Now only $249!  (Read 16444 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Price Drop on Hilux Rear HREW Bumpers! Now only $249!
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:35:58 AM »
We are happy to announce a price drop on our Hilux Rear HREW Bumpers!

The New Standard price is now just $249 each!

This drop is due to an increase in productivity that we have been working at for some time now, and we are really happy to pass the savings on to you!

Please see our Bumper Catalog Page located here: Bumpers and Trail Armor

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Cool deal! :thumbs:

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Just made the decision on what to do for a rear bumper really easy  :biggthumpup:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
I just purchased one last week, looks like I should have waited 7 more days.   Well worth the money though looks awesome painted flat black
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

Geius Maniacal

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Jun '06
  • '83 Cummins 4BT
    • View Profile
quick question, what is the difference between HREW and DOM? not to sound like a noob, but really, im a noob.
thanks guys!

Cam

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
HREW stands for "Hot Rolled, Electric Welded" and is a type of rolling manufacturing technique.
Rolling is when the thickness of the work (material) is reduced by compressive forces exerted by two opposing rolls. Think of it as a clothes ringer: The clothes enter the ringer full of moisture (thicker in size) and leave thiner.
Hot refers to the material being deformed under "Hot Working", where the material is elevated to a temperature just below its melting point such that is can be easily deformed and shaped.
Thus the tubes are Rolled through the roller at an elevated temperature into flat sections.

Electric Welded refers to the type of weld used to join the curled material together (seamed).

DOM stands for "Drawn Over Mandrel" and is a type of drawing technique used to reduce the diameter or wall thickness of seamless tubes after the tube has been produced typically by extrusion. It is sometimes called tube sinking. Basically, instead of using the hand crank on a clothes ringer, imagine pulling the clothes by hand from the output side of the ringer. Also the ringer has been replaced with a die that defines the diameter of the final product, and as the material is pulled through the die, a fixed mandrel maintains a controlled inner diameter of the product as well.

Now what is important for us, is that HREW has a seam and can not be held to such accurate tolerances (as expansion and shinkage occur as the material changes temperature), whereas with DOM, a seamless final product is produced with precise outer and inner dimensions with a constant crosssectional area.

DOM is hence stronger and has a higher final product quality than HREW.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

vikingsven

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile

DOM stands for "Drawn Over Mandrel" and is a type of drawing technique used to reduce the diameter or wall thickness of seamless tubes after the tube has been produced typically by extrusion. It is sometimes called tube sinking. Basically, instead of using the hand crank on a clothes ringer, imagine pulling the clothes by hand from the output side of the ringer. Also the ringer has been replaced with a die that defines the diameter of the final product, and as the material is pulled through the die, a fixed mandrel maintains a controlled inner diameter of the product as well.

To correct you a little bit here, DOM can also be seamed much like HREW. DOM is also formed in a cold roll process from sheet steel into the "rough" tube form. Then it is "Drawn Over a Mandrel". This process flattens the seam, brings the dimensions of the tube to a more uniform, straighter, tighter tollerance than that found in HREW, and makes the tube stronger overall...and more expensive.

True seamless tube is extruded as was stated above (not cold rolled from sheet steel) and could also be considered DOM since it is drawn over a mandrel to maintain precise tolerances

Just a little FYI.   ;)

Geius Maniacal

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
  • '83 Cummins 4BT
    • View Profile
thanks for the info guys! are the DOM prices going to remain the same? i have been wanted to get a bumper for quite a while and this seems like the perfect time, BUT i am more interested in DOM, not HREW.

Cam

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
If you are going to weld the bumper up to an exo cage or do any really hardcore rock bashing, I'd stick with the DOM, although the HREW is plenty tough and will take more than its fair share of abuse!! I guess it all depends on how strong you really need it and if you are willing to fork out the extra cash! By the way, these bumpers kick ass  guys!!  keep up the good work!!!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Geius Maniacal

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '06
  • '83 Cummins 4BT
    • View Profile
hmmm, thanks for the info twisted. makes me think even more!!!

Cam

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Is there any chance I could get a measurement on something? or just tell me if it will fit my bobbed bed.  Would like to know the measurement from the edge of the bumper rear to the end of the wrap arounds on the sides. Don't know if that makes any sense...

here's a pic:

I've got 12" from fender to the end of the bed.

Thanks for any help  :biggthumpup:

Central Valley Crawlers

twistedtoy92

• Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
No prob!! always gotta keep people thinkin.... not thinkin will get you into trouble!!! Haha! Hey Talon it looks like you might need to request a special order or just fab one up yourself!! By the way, how are you liking the bobbed bed??
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Yeah, I was affraid of that, just wanted to take advantage of the great price on these bumpers if it would fit. I just bobbed the bed a couple weeks ago and havn't gotten to wheel it like this yet, and was just about to start a build up thread, so i'll let you know once I get it out on a trail, should be nice not dragging dirt around or catching the rear anymore :yupyup:
Central Valley Crawlers

twistedtoy92

• Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
No doubt!! I was thinkin about it on my 92 but i dont know if i want to sacrafice that much bed space.... hmmmm just too much crap to think about!!!

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
so they do custom dom bumpers at marlin? im interested in the same thing except i want to cut the bottom from that line/indentation all the way around the rear and i still want it to hug the bed to give me maximun clearance.
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

twistedtoy92

• Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
i'm not sure, give them a call @ 1-559-25CRAWL, it wouldnt hurt to ask!! i'm sure for a small price, they could do some trimming or relcate the mounts to the frame, hell they might even start up a line of rears that are made for bobbed beds???? SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT MARLIN!!!!!?????

crazywb

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 467
  • Member since Jun '04
  • 92 Toy short bed
    • View Profile
At this time we are not offering anything for body lifts or bobbed beds.  There are so many variables with those applications we would not be able to keep up.  We just got caught up on most standard rear just in hrew.  Front hrew will be next.  Maybe at a later date. 
    Thanks  CJ  :turtle:
I'M BACK!!!!!!!

rocksalt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
What about front bumpers?  Been waiting for my for over 1 year and I still don't have it yet?

teamfx3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
sweet! good thing I rushed to make the new years sale deadline only to have this happen. :thumbs:

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Are these bumpers supposed to include new mounting hardware? I got mine today, and as far as I can tell, there isn't any new hardware.

Thanks,
Todd

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
I got new hardware with mine,  did you already cut off the bubble wrap?
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

mudking82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
x2-4 new grade 5 bolts with 4 washers and 4 locknuts.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I cut off the bubble wrap, and still no hardware.  :-\ Are the bolts, washers and nuts supposed to be in there? If so, I guess I didn't get any... what should I do?

mudking82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 104
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Mine were in the mounting holes of the bumper.  If you don't have them, just reuse the ones that are currently holding your bumper on.  Or if you don't have those, go buy some 1/2" or bigger bolts (whatever the max size will fit) with washers and locknuts.  Get at least grade 5 bolts.  I don't know how tight to torque them, I couldn't find any specs, but I torqued mine to 100 ft. lbs. in two steps last weekend when I put my bumper on. 

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I'll probably just reuse the stock ones. My dad says not to, because they have stretched over time. If he really doesn't want me reusing the stock bolts, he'll call Marlin and figure something out. The bumper is going in for powdercoating tomorrow (Dad's idea), so when I get it back, hopefully I will have something figured out. Thanks for the help!

Kaiks

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 1
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
how much would it be to ship a bumper to hawaii zip code 96706???

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
how much would it be to ship a bumper to hawaii zip code 96706???

$157.56
Thats UPS ground. We ship a lot to Hawaii but its usually truck freight and I don't believe we can save any by truck but I'll check on Monday any ways.
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
ups will ship a bumper ground truck freight to hawaii?

must use an amphibious truck, lol.... and take a long time, unless they do something along the lines of send it by airplane from lax

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
What about front bumpers?  Been waiting for my for over 1 year and I still don't have it yet?

And I thought I had waited a long time @ 7 months. They should give it to you 1/2 price or something. What an exercise in patience!!! wow. All that time of needing a winch BADLY but no bumper although you have ordered it. The walking five miles for cell phone service in the woods when stuck. Getting pulled out by Billy Bob Redneck in a Ford and then sh*t talked to. All the while the winch sits on the shop floor collecting dust. The endless waiting and wondering. Cry me a river. Yes Marlin Crawler Inc. has given me an experience I will remember all my life. It looks as though I am not the only one....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
And I thought I had waited a long time @ 7 months. They should give it to you 1/2 price or something. What an exercise in patience!!! wow. All that time of needing a winch BADLY but no bumper although you have ordered it. The walking five miles for cell phone service in the woods when stuck. Getting pulled out by Billy Bob Redneck in a Ford and then sh*t talked to. All the while the winch sits on the shop floor collecting dust. The endless waiting and wondering. Cry me a river. Yes Marlin Crawler Inc. has given me an experience I will remember all my life. It looks as though I am not the only one....

that is just plain silly of marlin crawler  :shake:

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco